Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2004 8:21:51 PM EDT
With my life being in the undesired situation it is presently,(my wife left me for a computer Romeo) I am about to be able to have my life from this angle at least be a do over.
I'm trying my best to reestablish my house hold, by replacing the things nessacary to make my place liveable again.

My 1st thought is to make my home a mans place, as it will be my son who's 7 now, & me. I thought about painting the walls OD & the trim in black, but I wont. I am just doing my best to decorate so it's a comfortable place for my son & me. That in it's self will be cool. No one to tell me I can't smoke my pipe in my house, or cigars. No one to tell me I'm not doing enough cleaning or I'm taking to long on a repair.

The worm has surley turrned, & my life is so less complicated. I would have lived the rest of my life with a "by your leave wife", had she not left me. Things are good with me.

I just wonder how many of you guys would do a do over,....if you knew in advance life would be so much better.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:25:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I would not have married my current (soon to be ex-) wife.

I would not have moved to Miami coming out of the Navy.

I would have gone USMC rather than USN coming out of USNA.

That's it, really....
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I live alone and I dont give a damn when Im at home, smoke in the house if you want, Im comfortable there.

I dont know what I would have redone, maybe the last 5 or 6 years of my life.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:30:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:31:10 PM EDT
[#4]
There is a period of my life that if I could do over I would.  But you make your bed and sleep in it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:33:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Only thing I would change is that I would have dumped my ex when she told me she wouldn't wait around for me if I joined the armed forces.  Fuck her.

All is good now thought, boot on Jan 24!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:33:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I dont mean change the past, I mean change the course of the future.

My wife has been begging,pleeding, & crying since 5 days after she left me, & wants desperately to come home. I have steadfastly told her I'm no longer interested in that. I'm all for a quick divorce. I see freedom at the end of this long dark tunnel, that I would never had started down on my own. I'm only here because a do over was dumped into my lap. A curssing has turned into a blessing.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:34:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in the process of setting up a "do over" right now.

When I'm done, I will have put enough away to cover my child support obligations until both of them are 18, I will have sold my house and used the money from that to clear ALL my debts and have somewhere around 400k in the bank.

I have several possible paths ahead of me, none of which I have chosen yet.  All of them involve living a life that takes my needs into consideration first and living that life as streamlined as possible.  I want as little to do with "society" as it currently exists.  While I have no plans to become a hermit, I do plan to establish a life that will allow me to proceed without being as tied to "society" as I have been in the past.  In otherwords, I'll keep on keeping on, even if the SHTF.  I doubt I'll be able to protect myself from TEOTWAWKI, but I don't think many could.

I'll be 48 next month and am in pretty good health.  I consider myself very fortunate to have this opportunity.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I became a Doc, and am not happy with it  so..
I'm starting a new Doc program in Jan.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I would have bought Microsoft stock in 1990 and sold it in 2000...
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:39:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm in the process of setting up a "do over" right now.

When I'm done, I will have put enough away to cover my child support obligations until both of them are 18, I will have sold my house and used the money from that to clear ALL my debts and have somewhere around 400k in the bank.

I have several possible paths ahead of me, none of which I have chosen yet.  All of them involve living a life that takes my needs into consideration first and living that life as streamlined as possible.  I want as little to do with "society" as it currently exists.  While I have no plans to become a hermit, I do plan to establish a life that will allow me to proceed without being as tied to "society" as I have been in the past.  In otherwords, I'll keep on keeping on, even if the SHTF.  I doubt I'll be able to protect myself from TEOTWAWKI, but I don't think many could.

I'll be 48 next month and am in pretty good health.  I consider myself very fortunate to have this opportunity.

Cool, I just turned 43 this yr. I have my son, & he's the family gold. I could not have stood it, had I not got him back.
My wife siad she has been burglerized 2 times, & her car has been vandalized. Her life is pretty sucky, & while I feel bad for her,...it's what she chose. Not me. I'm free & clear of being resposable for her life now.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:41:14 PM EDT
[#11]
All of my regerts are what I have done in life to this point.

I dont really see one thing that caused it though
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:41:37 PM EDT
[#12]
im sorry but if I get flammed oh well, what is the deal with divorces nowadays?  Now when you walk up to the alter you say "Lets take a chance".  Whatever happen to sticking with your vows when you say "till death do us part"?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:43:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
im sorry but if I get flammed oh well, what is the deal with divorces nowadays?  Now when you walk up to the alter you say "Lets take a chance".  Whatever happen to sticking with your vows when you say "till death do us part"?

Iafter hearing and seeing lots of stoties, Im decided never to get married.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

People change. They may not mean to, but they do. It's like you wake up one day and the person you dated and married is a memory.

I'm not saying people should disregard comittment, but there comes a point where you're married to a stranger.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:47:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I ment it when I made the vow. She left me for another man. So am I supposed to just stay married to her, or say oh well, if you want to trash my life & come home that's fine. I made a promise.

This is not a flame.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Watch The Butterfly Effect and ask yourself this question again.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Iafter hearing and seeing lots of stoties, Im decided never to get married.

The thing is even after hearing all the horror stories and such I would still like to get married eventually and share my life with someone.  The one thing I dont want is for it to be taken for granted and givin up so easily
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#18]
ps, we were married for 14 yrs, & 10 days when she left me & took all our property, & my only child without leaving so much as a letter, or a phone call to tell my where or why.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:51:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I ment it when I made the vow. She left me for another man. So am I supposed to just stay married to her, or say oh well, if you want to trash my life & come home that's fine. I made a promise.

This is not a flame.

I didnt mean this directed to you specificly, it just saddens me at which the rate of divorces are in this country. I grew up in a divorced family and I wish my parents had stuck it through because I needed my dad and felt he wasnt there
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is not a flame.

I didnt mean this directed to you specificly, it just saddens me at which the rate of divorces are in this country. I grew up in a divorced family and I wish my parents had stuck it through because I needed my dad and felt he wasnt there

I hear you. Same here. I have a step dad I love, but it's not the same as having your real dad care about you, or be a part of your life. It's not the same, I don't know why,..it just isn't.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:58:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I have made some major mistakes in my life, and if I could go back and undo those mistakes I probably would.

BUT,

If I did that I wouldn't have the experience I do now, I wouldn't be the same man, and you know what? I LIKE ME THE WAY I AM NOW.

OP,

Would you have bought (rented) the place you have now if you hadn't had the wife? your car? your job?

Sounds to me like you have an opportunity.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:01:32 PM EDT
[#22]
I did the do over this year.  Life is a lot better.  Actually get along with the ex a lot better.  We actually went to a wedding this last weekend together.  It was amusing trying to explain to people that we were divorced now.

If I had kids though, I would not have left, at least until they were grown.  Though I really wish my parents would have divorced, though the were both so messed up I wouldn't know who I would have lived with.

For the most part though, it's never to late for a do over.

Make the house a man house and do your best for you son.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Tonight on "WE"...lessons of life!!

j/k

There are lots of things I would change in my past!!!What I am doing now makes my future a "Do over" by not making the errors/judgements I made in the past...LIVE IN THE NOW.....For the future!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Again, I mean a do over in the future sense instead of the past sense.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:19:16 PM EDT
[#25]
If I would have stayed in the Navy I could have retired in 2000, If I would have stayed with UPS, I would be in my 20th year, but no I was a dumbass and now I work in a factory on second shift

I guess it's ok I love my job......so no regrets
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
With my life being in the undesired situation it is presently,(my wife left me for a computer Romeo) I am about to be able to have my life from this angle at least be a do over.
I'm trying my best to reestablish my house hold, by replacing the things nessacary to make my place liveable again.

My 1st thought is to make my home a mans place, as it will be my son who's 7 now, & me. I thought about painting the walls OD & the trim in black, but I wont. I am just doing my best to decorate so it's a comfortable place for my son & me. That in it's self will be cool. No one to tell me I can't smoke my pipe in my house, or cigars. No one to tell me I'm not doing enough cleaning or I'm taking to long on a repair.

The worm has surley turrned, & my life is so less complicated. I would have lived the rest of my life with a "by your leave wife", had she not left me. Things are good with me.

I just wonder how many of you guys would do a do over,....if you knew in advance life would be so much better.

It isn't hard to start over. Simply put everything behind you start out fresh, hell you got a plus, exp on your side. Don't stress over the shit. Many people who are at the top of the world today have done it over many times.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:21:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
If I would have stayed in the Navy I could have retired in 2000, If I would have stayed with UPS, I would be in my 20th year, but no I was a dumbass and now I work in a factory on second shift

I guess it's ok I love my job......so no regrets

I still wish I had my old job.

I kinda dont care for my job
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Give your son a good and natural (normal) place to live/visit.  Don't make him come visit you in an O/D cave.  My parents were divorced.  The first half of my childhood I grew with my Mom.  The second half I spent with my Dad.  When I moved in with my Dad he led a very bachelor life.  He was a hunter and shooter and gun collector.  There was a deer head in the living room but his gun cabinet was in his bedroom.  He/we maintained a very clean, hospitable (almost pretty--if it weren't for it being all males) environment.  So, now I'm a very manly man with many guns and a dog and a very meticulous kept house.  Also, during my childhood I never saw my Dad take a drink.  Since I have become an adult we've gotten drunk on several occassions.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#29]

He will be living with me. I planto keep the house the same pretty much, except I will eliminate any feminin touches that I feel don't belong in a man's home.

When I asked him how he would like to do things different he said he wants a big sticker of a gun on his bedroom wall. I said how's about we just put a gun rack on the wall with your .22 in it? He was all for that. I also intend to let him have any type of pet his heart desires. My wife was very squimish about him have any animales in the house.
He also ask me to smoke my pipe, & cigars because he loves the smell. She would never admitt to even liking the smell in the least, & I was froced by respect for her wishes to smoke only outside, & when we were not together.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:03:38 PM EDT
[#30]
I would have asked Linda Ehresman to marry me instead of letting her get away...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top