Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 1/31/2011 2:18:30 PM EDT
Situation: You child has fallen and suffered a brain injury.

Would you want the Brain Surgeon who will operate on your child to be a Pot Smoker?

Also Post Your AGE in your answer

No Poll: So we can see who votes how and your age
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#1]
HERP Y DERPY HERP Y DERPY
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:20:04 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Yep...

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:21:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep...

No, I prefer surgeons who like to slam a bottle of single malt.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I would not give a shit.  As long as he was not feeling any effects at the time of the operation, who cares?  I also would not want the doctor to operate soon after he had some alcohol, but if he waited 8 hours I'd be absolutely fine with it.

I'm 28, but I don't know what that has to do with anything.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:21:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:21:44 PM EDT
[#7]
No way. But if he blackout drinks every chance he gets thats fine since they sell that at the gas station.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:21:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Can we also make sure he is a non-drinker?

And that he doesn't habitually partake in caffeine?

I wouldn't want the surgeon high on anything.  Picking the one that is your pet is a bit disingenuous it seems.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:22:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Not sure that's a job the pot head crowd generally aspires to participate in.

To answer the question, as long as he is sober and competent I don't care.

I'm 33
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd rather he smoke dope than drink booze.  
After working neuro ICU for 4 years, I'm more concerned about the surgeon getting adequate sleep.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#11]
What does pot being legal have to do with a brain surgeon partaking?

You ever hear about drunk doctors operating.

damn I type slow
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:24:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Trollin', trollin', trollin', Keep them doggies trollin'

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would not give a shit.  As long as he was not feeling any effects at the time of the operation, who cares?  I also would not want the doctor to operate on me soon after he had some alcohol, but if he waited 8 hours I'd be absolutely fine with it.

I'm 28, but I don't know what that has to do with anything.

I'm 56 and I don't know what that has to do with anything either...

Bill
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:25:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I would prefer someone that didn't partake in any recreational substances and instead spent most of their time working or studying.
Since that is not a realistic possibility it wouldn't matter to me as long as they were competent and not currently under the influence.
I am 19 years old
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep...

and do a fat rail of coke!  After a blowjob from a hooker.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Of course not! I'd much prefer he be a sleep deprived drunk. Thats ok, because they sell it at the store.

Retarded post is retarded.

Franky if hes good at what he does I wouldnt give a damn if hes a coke snorting tranny.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:26:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Your question assumes that no surgeons today smoke pot. That's a pretty heroic assumption.

Me: 44 years old, never smoked pot in my life. I think it ought to be legalized.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:26:39 PM EDT
[#18]
No I would not.

I wouldn't want him to be drunk either. Or be high on glue fumes..

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:26:40 PM EDT
[#19]
don't really have a dog in this fight––you could say that i'm not "pro-pot", i'm anti-authoritarianism.

that said, you'd be amazed at how many surgeons either smoke pot or drink excessively. i'm not going to venture any odds, but chances are pretty good that your putative surgeon does one or the other.

ETA:  age 38
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep...

LOL -
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:27:10 PM EDT
[#21]
I think OP you have a problem with buying all that "War on Drugs" propaganda bullshit and now you think that someone whos smoked pot once is suddenly a horrible person whos ready at any moment to commit terrible acts of violence to feed their habit.

My advice? Grow the fuck up.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:27:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Dumbest thread this week.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:28:06 PM EDT
[#23]
I see everyone else has already stated the same exact thing I was going to when reading the OP.

I wouldnt care as long as he was not under the effects of the drug at the time, same as if he was a drinker, a smoker, or a midnight toker.

Caffiene and Alcohol can have adverse effects as well and they are perfectly legal.

I dont think you thought this out very well OP

I am 29 and I do not do any of the above.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:28:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

first post nails it...

wow. I wonder how long this question had burned in the OP's mind.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:28:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Why would I care? As long as he is sober during the operation there is no issue...

Some doctors smoke weed. Big surprise?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It's only Monday.  Give Harry time, I'm sure he'll make one even more sanctimonious than this.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Would you want the Brain Surgeon who will operate on your child to be a Pot Smoker?

Not sure, but I do know a very good surgeon who does smoke.

Lets say you take your beloved ferrari into the shop and the mechanic smokes pot, would you take it someplace else?

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Neurosurgery is one of the most competitive and highest paying jobs in the medical field. To become a neurosurgeon one must go through 4 years of undergraduate work follwed by 4 years of medical school. During this time they have to not only be good but they have to be better than everyone else they are in school with. Following graduating from medical school is a 10-15 year residency. If a neurosurgeon had time for drugs in their busy schedule of being badass at everythign they do then I wouldn't have a problem with it. As long as their drug use doesn't affect their performance I think they should be able to smoke all the weed they want. I imagine the job is exceedingly stressful considering the death rate of their patients...

I have a question for you though. Would you want an atheist cutting on your brain?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:30:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Hell yes! Do you realize how steady a man's hand get get when he's on the dope?

I'd want him tokin' up before and during the procedure!
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#30]
My only problem is that more folks will become even dumber and lazier than they are now, and I will have to pay even more to take care of them.

I do not think pot or alcohol will make a big difference on those of us who work hard and make stuff happen.  It just means we will be burdened with even more expense.  

I have a better idea, legalize pot and cut out the social welfare system.  Folks are free to smoke, and I am free to earn money.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#31]
THat is the furthest thing from an "honest question" I've seen in a long time.

As others have stated, NO WAY, POT HEADS ARE ST00PID!!  

Give me a drunk with a gigantic gin blossom nose, permanent bourbon breath, raw stomach ulcers, 5 DWI's, and a happy hour discount card to perform the brain surgery on my child ANY DAY!!!

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

It's only Monday.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:32:09 PM EDT
[#33]

I doubt a physician would endanger his career and use to the extent that he would now have a nickname of Dr. Dorito...

How about this question.  Would you take your child to an ER where the severely stressed Dr. hasn't slept in 20 hours?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:32:35 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I wouldn't care if he smokes pot on his off time, as long as he follow the bottle-to-throttle guidelines.

<- 40 years old

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#35]
As long as he has a good record I don't care if he uses THC products.  In my experience pot smokers know when their high better than drinkers know when their drunk and are less likely to try to perform complex tasks while intoxicated.

Age 24,  Never consumed THC, would not if it was legal, and am for legalizing THC in all forms.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#36]
No, I'd prefer that he would be completely hammered off of a fine bottle of single malt during the operation.

The fuck?  
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:33:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yes, I would rather a pot smoker did it over a drunk any day of the week.

34 yrs old.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:34:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm a brain surgeon.....uh,.....what was the question again?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#41]
No, but they may be regardless  of laws or my personal opinnions.

And as others have said, i'd prefer a pothead over a drunk.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Why would I care? As long as he is sober during the operation there is no issue...

Some doctors smoke weed. Big surprise?

38 years old.  Have smoked, on occasion.  Prohibition is just dumb.  

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I knew an affluent man who contracted HIV by sharing used pot needles.  He died, strung out on THC.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Would you want the Brain Surgeon who will operate on your child to be a Pot Smoker? addicted to Vicodins? an alcoholic? a Democrat? a gun owner?

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:36:17 PM EDT
[#45]
27 years old - and if the guy finished the school to be a brain surgeon while smoking pot, then sure, why not? I live in the Silicon Valley and have a lot of friends who are programmers for big companies that make your computers work - they smoke pot ALL the time, and make more than six figures a year.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:37:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Would you want your child's brain surgeon to be a born again Christian? The rapture might occur midway through the operation, and now there's nobody to close junior's grape-hole.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Would you want the Brain Surgeon who will operate on your child to be a Drinker?

Don't care, as long as he's sober at the time.

Over 30.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#48]
23 - If the guy worked for an esteemed hospital, with a high success rate then so be it. What do I care the guy does on his off time as long as he can perform when he needs to.

Also, how the hell would you know if he is a pot head or not?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:38:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I knew an affluent man who contracted HIV by sharing used pot needles.  He died, strung out on THC.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:39:16 PM EDT
[#50]
I do not care. I am 44.

FWIW - I personally know doctors, attorneys, engineers, etc. who smoke marijuana. It is not a daily habit for them, rather an occasional dalliance.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top