Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2012 7:18:58 AM EDT
So this fourth of July for me was a challenging one. Not only was I working two shifts at two jobs but my car is not having issues.

I had my oil changed a bit ago and it is 1,000 miles over the 3,000 on their sticker. Honda Accord 2.4L 4 door with 157K miles. I was traveling from one job to the next when my motor started getting rough. So I pulled into a gas station and barely got it in there. I had to go to work so I locked the doors and had a coworker pick me up.

Now the issue. First let me say I dont have an oil leak and my 2003 Honda accord is not burning oil as there is no smell and no smoke. I get back to my car at the end of my shift and meet up with my buddy. I try to start the car and it wont go unless I give the gas pedal a good workout. It runs rough and if I take my foot off the peddle it dies. So I pop the hood and check the oil. No oil on the dipstick. So I go to the gas station buy 5 quarts and it takes 4 to see oil on the stick. I try to run the oil through to fix the issue. It helps a bit to the point the motor isn't shaking so bad but it still has the same starting issue.

The next morning I get it on a buddy's trailer and take it into the shop that did the oil change to talk to them about it. Now naturally one would come to one conclusion amongst many options that the auto shop didn't put in enough oil. Since there is no leak and it is not burning oil. They want to check it out obviously so I left it with them yesterday. I don't think it is possible for my motor to burn 4+ quarts of oil, it takes 5, when there is no apparent leak or burning.

Any advice on this or things that could cause this oil issue?
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 7:27:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Hard to believe you'd suddenly be burning the entire sump if you didn't have oil consumption issues before. Sounds like it probably wasn't filled last time.

This is why I do my own oil changes and check the oil level frequently.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 7:36:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Possibly blew a seal of some sort. Crankshaft, camshaft, something like that.  

I doubt that contributes to the engine running rough, that could be caused by a timing belt that skipped a tooth or two.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 7:59:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I doubt that contributes to the engine running rough, that could be caused by a timing belt that skipped a tooth or two.

yes
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:05:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I thought about the timing chain being an issue but obviously I couldn't tell until I either got it home or to a shop.

I am just curious as to where the oil went if there was a seal leak or blown seal somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes

It'll do that after that cam starts seizing in the head from lack of lubrication.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:18:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes

It'll do that after that cam starts seizing in the head from lack of lubrication.

So basically if it is the cam, un-seize it and check the damage, and go from there?

Are Cams expensive?
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:23:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There should be an obvious and visible leak if it burped out the entire sump from a blown seal.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:27:07 AM EDT
[#8]
It would not have run 4000 miles with less than a quart of oil in it.  Leaked somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Check your coolant?
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:35:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Check your coolant?

Indicator on the dash stayed cool the whole time.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:37:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Check your coolant?

I'm suggesting that maybe you should check your coolant for cross-contamination.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:39:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Visually check your coolant. If you blew a head gasket it will look milky
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It would not have run 4000 miles with less than a quart of oil in it.  Leaked somewhere.

I cant figure out where though. I park in basically 3 places. Home, work 1, and work 2.  None of those places have an oil stain. If it came out while driving I expect it would have gone all over the engine or engine compartment. Also I put 4 quarts in on the night of the problem and ran the motor for 20+ minutes to try and get the oil running through it and it didn't let out a drop.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:40:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Check your coolant?

I'm suggesting that maybe you should check your coolant for cross-contamination.  

gotcha
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:44:40 AM EDT
[#15]
If it consumed that much oil in that amount of time, you would have seen smoke.

They either didn't fill it or it leaked out. Sucks because the bearings are probably scarred up now.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:47:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Check your coolant?

gotcha

I doubt it blew a head gasket. Anything Honda made 96' up has a triple layer steel gasket and they are damn near indestructable. Usually wouldn't blow unless it overheated anyway.

Check for leaks.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 8:47:39 AM EDT
[#17]
You drove the car four thousand miles without ever checking the oil?  

And you are surprised by this?

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:01:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Get a leak down test.  Honda engines tend to lose oil out of the valve area over time and with your high mileage engine it is probably due for a rebuild (or just keep adding oil).
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Why would I check the oil? I just had it changed by a auto place where I never had a problem before. Its not like I intentionally drained the oil and then ran it for 4k.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Also seems like the OP would have noticed the LOW OIL PRESSURE light at some point during that 4,000 miles...
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:20:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would I check the oil? I just had it changed by a auto place where I never had a problem before. Its not like I intentionally drained the oil and then ran it for 4k.

Really?  

The acceptable oil consumption of 1 quart per thousand miles on a new Audi should give you a clue.  You should check the oil level on a regular basis, like one per month, or once per tank.  

You simple used up all of the oil in the crankcase.  You have probably been pulling in @ 3k miles almost out of oil.

Once you replace the engine you just toasted by neglecting the oil level, remember the check the oil.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:22:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also seems like the OP would have noticed the LOW OIL PRESSURE light at some point during that 4,000 miles...

No check oil light came on.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:25:52 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Hard to believe you'd suddenly be burning the entire sump if you didn't have oil consumption issues before. Sounds like it probably wasn't filled last time.

This is why I do my own oil changes and check the oil level frequently.

Yep.

Had the same problem in my wife's brand new Pilot.

Fucking quick lube only put a quart of oil in.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:28:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  

The acceptable oil consumption of 1 quart per thousand miles on a new Audi should give you a clue.  You should check the oil level on a regular basis, like one per month, or once per tank.  

You simple used up all of the oil in the crankcase.  You have probably been pulling in @ 3k miles almost out of oil.

Once you replace the engine you just toasted by neglecting the oil level, remember the check the oil.

I have changed the oil in my car many times before. I usually do it fall through early spring. When the weather is nicer. Its hot right now and I don't feel like doing it so I took it somewhere. I know how much oil my car uses. I know what the manual in my car says for oil changes. I didn't neglect anything. I simply went by the manual and what I know on how my car uses oil. My car is not a new Audi and comparing it to that in terms of maintenance is silly.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:29:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Is it a t-chain engine?...if so the  chain tensioner works with oil.....lose oil..no chain tension, and that equals skipped timing.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:31:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Is it a t-chain engine?...if so the  chain tensioner works with oil.....lose oil..no chain tension, and that equals skipped timing.

Yes it is a chain. 4cyl has the chain the 6cyl has a belt. I have a 4cyl.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:41:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  

I have changed the oil in my car many times before. I usually do it fall through early spring. When the weather is nicer. Its hot right now and I don't feel like doing it so I took it somewhere. I know how much oil my car uses. I know what the manual in my car says for oil changes. I didn't neglect anything. I simply went by the manual and what I know on how my car uses oil. My car is not a new Audi and comparing it to that in terms of maintenance is silly.

No, failing to check & maintain the crankcase oil for  4k was silly.   If a brand new Audi can burn 1qt/thousand, your old honda can burn just as much without smoking.  And it probably did.  But you never checked the oil, so you did not notice it.

Perhaps the oil change company shorted it two quarts.  But you did not check it.   Perhaps they used a thinner viscosity oil that was used up faster. But you never checked it, so if it went away quicker you never noticed.

Your owner's manual tells you when to use the dipstick.  What does the owner's manual say?

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:46:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So this fourth of July for me was a challenging one. Not only was I working two shifts at two jobs but my car is not having issues.

I had my oil changed a bit ago and it is 1,000 miles over the 3,000 on their sticker. Honda Accord 2.4L 4 door with 157K miles. I was traveling from one job to the next when my motor started getting rough. So I pulled into a gas station and barely got it in there. I had to go to work so I locked the doors and had a coworker pick me up.

Now the issue. First let me say I dont have an oil leak and my 2003 Honda accord is not burning oil as there is no smell and no smoke. I get back to my car at the end of my shift and meet up with my buddy. I try to start the car and it wont go unless I give the gas pedal a good workout. It runs rough and if I take my foot off the peddle it dies. So I pop the hood and check the oil. No oil on the dipstick. So I go to the gas station buy 5 quarts and it takes 4 to see oil on the stick. I try to run the oil through to fix the issue. It helps a bit to the point the motor isn't shaking so bad but it still has the same starting issue.

The next morning I get it on a buddy's trailer and take it into the shop that did the oil change to talk to them about it. Now naturally one would come to one conclusion amongst many options that the auto shop didn't put in enough oil. Since there is no leak and it is not burning oil. They want to check it out obviously so I left it with them yesterday. I don't think it is possible for my motor to burn 4+ quarts of oil, it takes 5, when there is no apparent leak or burning.

Any advice on this or things that could cause this oil issue?

Did  you drive 4000 miles WITHOUT once checking the engine oil level?
I do have some advice for you, " CHECK YOUR MOTOR OIL "

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#29]
OP what did you learn from this mistake?
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 9:56:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  

No, failing to check & maintain the crankcase oil for  4k was silly.   If a brand new Audi can burn 1qt/thousand, your old honda can burn just as much without smoking.  And it probably did.  But you never checked the oil, so you did not notice it.

Perhaps the oil change company shorted it two quarts.  But you did not check it.   Perhaps they used a thinner viscosity oil that was used up faster. But you never checked it, so if it went away quicker you never noticed.

Your owner's manual tells you when to use the dipstick.  What does the owner's manual say?

Owners manual says to do an oil change every 5k. I do it between 3-4k. When doing my oil in the past I empty my current into a tub. Put the plug back in and fill with 5 quarts. I then put the old stuff in the empty 5quart jug. It typically uses 1 quart for every 4k.

I find it hard to believe that my car suddenly decided to use 4+ quarts in 4k when it used to use 1quart in 4k.

They actually use the same that I do which is 5W-30.

I suppose it is my fault for not checking the work of the shop but in the same token I don't know a single person who does. I kind of expect people to do their jobs right.

This is the first time I have had anything major happen with this car. My last Accord was the same. 1993 4 cyl 250k, that I had for 13 years, it finally kicked the bucket when the axle broke and I took it into a barrier wall going 65.

This 2003:
Brake pads
Rotars once
Calipers once
Master cylinder once
Air filter every other oil change or so
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
OP what did you learn from this mistake?

Well that's just it. I am not sure this is a mistake at least on my part. Considering my car's oil consumption in the past. It is still very well in the realm of possibility that this shop didn't do a proper oil change.

If it is my fault then checking oil more often would be the learning experience.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:11:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Why check the oil?  Maybe to keep from ruining your engine?  

Well when in the last 9 years it used 1 quart of oil for every 4k miles and it holds 5 quarts I figured I wouldn't need to check it. Especially with routine oil changes every 4k.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:18:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Well when in the last 9 years it used 1 quart of oil for every 4k miles and it holds 5 quarts I figured I wouldn't need to check it. Especially with routine oil changes every 4k.

Your engine is very likely done for.....If you still like the car..look into getting a "Jap" engine.....these are pulled from cars in Japan with an average of 30k on them..I have installed a couple dozen of these and have had pretty good results...and only had to warranty one [a Toyota] These engines are available for well under 1k..and I have installed them for around 2500 bucks all told [including engine/gaskets/ fluids..etc] out the door.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:20:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Owners manual says to do an oil change every 5k. I do it between 3-4k. When doing my oil in the past I empty my current into a tub. Put the plug back in and fill with 5 quarts. I then put the old stuff in the empty 5quart jug. It typically uses 1 quart for every 4k.

I find it hard to believe that my car suddenly decided to use 4+ quarts in 4k when it used to use 1quart in 4k.

They actually use the same that I do which is 5W-30.

I suppose it is my fault for not checking the work of the shop but in the same token I don't know a single person who does. I kind of expect people to do their jobs right.

This is the first time I have had anything major happen with this car. My last Accord was the same. 1993 4 cyl 250k, that I had for 13 years, it finally kicked the bucket when the axle broke and I took it into a barrier wall going 65.

This 2003:
Brake pads
Rotars once
Calipers once
Master cylinder once
Air filter every other oil change or so

Most people do and that is the problem. I worked at a shop as a mechanic for 12+ years. They pay tire and oil change guys less than the illegal immigrant cutting everyone's grass in your neighborhood. With oil changes, its the quantity that makes money not the quality. So they're humping em out like Obama stickers in Portland. Things get overlooked sometimes. I do my own work but if I took it to a shop, I would look it over. Remember stereotypes exist for a reason, and mechanics have one about screwing somebody out of something they don't need or not filling their oil, etc.  

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Your engine is very likely done for.....If you still like the car..look into getting a "Jap" engine.....these are pulled from cars in Japan with an average of 30k on them..I have installed a couple dozen of these and have had pretty good results...and only had to warranty one [a Toyota] These engines are available for well under 1k..and I have installed them for around 2500 bucks all told [including engine/gaskets/ fluids..etc] out the door.

Well I do like the car. I cannot afford to go buy a new one as we are in our first year of payments for my wife's 2008 Honda Pilot.

The value of mine is around 5-6k in private and a $2500 car wont last me for what I need it to. So I might as well put the $2500 into getting it fixed if that is what it comes to.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:42:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You figured wrong.

If your engine doesn't explode after this episode, maybe you'll start checking your oil level every 1k, AND after you trust some cheap ass oil change chain to do it for you, you'll check their work.  

ITDCCVSR, my friend.  Inattention To Detail Can Cause Very Serious Repercussions.

Checking your oil is cheap insurance.  Not checking it and grenading your engine is expensive.

ETA:  Just an anecdotal story here.  I used to have a Toyota Tacoma that I drove when I did field service.  I'd do maybe 40-50k a year on it.  I'd have the oil changed at WalMart, but those bastards could never figure out that 5 quarts means 5 quarts.  They'd always put in 4 or thereabout.  I didn't have time or a place to do it myself or I would have.  It got to the point where I'd go to the counter in the auto department and sign up to get a change, with two quarts of oil in my hand.  They'd ask what I need the oil for, and I'd flat out say "because you guys can't seem to ever put enough oil in it."
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#39]
If a new car burns 1q of oil every 1k then It is piece of shit to begin with.  Audi or not.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Lot's of possibilities as to what could have happened.

Oil filter not on tight enough

Blew a gasket or seal

Drain plug not tightened down

Doubled up Oil filter gasket.

Head Gasket

Piston rings(although without smoke this isn't likely).

The strange parts are, no notice of smoking or oil leaks, no oil light, and normal temps.

the reality is none of that really matters, as a previous poster pointed out your bearings are probably fucked up now.  Don't get me wrong it can be fixed, but there's some things you have to consider.  First how much are you willing to spend on a car with 175K on it?  Lower engine work like that isn't going to be cheap plus they still have to find out what caused the problem to begin with.  From my experience doing that much work on an old high milage car ends up with the whole engine needing to be replaced in very little time.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I had my oil changed a bit ago and it is 1,000 miles over the 3,000 on their sticker. Honda Accord 2.4L 4 door with 157K miles. I was traveling from one job to the next when my motor started getting rough. So I pulled into a gas station and barely got it in there.

When the motor starts going rough, STOP RIGHT THERE, not 5 feet (FEET) further. By the time you got to the station the bearings were toast. Now, the engine is toast, to.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#42]
4 quarts of oil just doesn't just disappear.  If you had a blown seal there'd be a leak.  If you had a blown gasket(oil pan, valve cover, cam seal, distributor o-ring, etc) there'd be a leak.  If you had shot valve stem seals or oil control rings you'd notice smoke from the exhaust all the time.  If you had worn valve guides you'd notice plumes of smoke on cold start up and under throttle after letting the engine brake.  If you had a blown head gasket oil would be in the coolant system, and coolant would be in the oil system.
If you are sure there was no leak and no visible smoke from the exhaust, then there was little to no oil added during the last oil change.  There's not really any other possible explanation and this is based off of 10+ years of working on Hondas and Acuras.
Timing being off wouldn't have anything to do with the oil.  If the timing belt snapped, oil delivery would be the least of your problems.  Interference engines FTW.
Running the motor without sufficient oil is obviously really bad, but I couldn't tell you how bad unless I had the motor here and taken apart.  At the very least you've probably burned some or all of your bearings, burned some or all of your oil control and compression rings, probably marked up some or all of your cylinder walls, pretty much any metal-to-metal contact areas paid the price...but to what extent? No way of knowing unless you take the motor apart and start inspecting everything.
You might be one of the very, very, very few lucky ones that can continue driving it if you oil it back up.  If this is the case I would suggest another oil change but pour the last 1-2 quarts all over the valve train and let it drain down in to the pan, a magnetic oil drain plug, maybe a few heavy-duty magnets stuck to the oil pan, and crank the motor over via key or hand quite a few times to re-coat everything before actually letting it run.  The magnets will catch all the metal fragments that will be floating around in your motor.  Next oil change after this should be ASAP, maybe 500-1000 miles, so you can drain and replace that contaminated oil and clean the magnets off.  I would expect some oil consumption after this, though.
ETA:  For future reference, check the fuckin' oil in between oil changes.  Cars can leak or consume little amounts of oil without showing obvious signs and if you go too long before oil changes or didn't have enough oil put in during a previous oil change, this can be a problem.  If you've got a VTEC motor then they can usually consume more oil than a non-VTEC motor, H-series being the worst I've experienced so far.  Make it a habit to check your fluids and you'll have less headaches down the road.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#43]

I change my own oil. About six months ago I had to have a fuel pump replaced so I had them change the oil since it was time. When I picked it up I popped the hood and checked the dip stick.

That was at a shop with a good record. A quik lube??????????

Expect what you will. Take what you get.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 12:07:42 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

You'd be surprised how long they'd last.  My last major project was a '93 Prelude that I paid $150 for as it had been sitting on some old man's land for a year or so, previous owner drove it for a week without an oil drain plug and eventually seized the motor.  These motors can go quite a while with little oil in them.  Can they go 4000+ on one quart? I couldn't tell you without testing it myself, but I like my motors.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If a new car burns 1q of oil every 1k then It is piece of shit to begin with.  Audi or not.

My vq uses about that much when Im driving it hard, it doens't smoke or leak, just uses it somehow. Supposed to be pretty common.
Link Posted: 7/6/2012 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My vq uses about that much when Im driving it hard, it doens't smoke or leak, just uses it somehow. Supposed to be pretty common.

My current project uses about that much, maybe a bit more, but that's because my valve guides are whooped and rather than replacing them I'm just doing a top-end swap for something better.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#47]
One quart in 1 thousand miles is not a reason for concern. I used the Audi as a well known example, because they use that much right from the dealer. They do not smoke, and pass smog just fine.

Driving a car 4k miles without checking the oil is foolish.  With 150k on the clock, all sorts of things could increase oil consumption. Aging valve seals. Worn guides. Ring issues.  If you had checked the oil that engine may well have gone 300k miles.  

I ran a 2.3L ford more than 300k miles.  It would burn a quart in 1000 miles in the winter and more in the summer.  Never smoked, did not foul plugs.  Always passed smog.  

You screwed up.  You did not check the oil.  Your manual does tell you how & when to use that dip stick.  You sidestepped the question by listing the oil change interval.  The fact remains you failed to do the required PM checks.  

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 3:46:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top