Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2017 9:16:17 PM EDT
After some recent power outages in the area, I would like to get a small backup generator to run a few things like a couple of freezers we have in the garage should we have a prolonged power outage.

I was all set to get a portable Honda generator, but discovered that there are two nearly identical models: The EB2000i and the EU2000i.

From what I gather, the EB2000i is the "industrial" version of the EU2000i, but with GFCI outlets and a 12v DC outlet (both of which would be nice) at a price of $100more than the EU2000i.

From what I'm seeing on the analysis on the following site, though, it sounds like the GFCI may not even work on a portable generator to begin with:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?54949-Grounding-Honda-Generators-amp-GFCIs

So, my question from people who have used these or know a lot about generators is if it's worth going with the EB2000i over the EU2000i.

Bonus question.  While I was at the store, I noticed that for the same price, I can get an EG2800i or EB2800i.  It's not as portable, but provides more power (which since it would probably never leave the property, would be okay).  Any benefit other than portability going with the 2000i models over the 2800i models?  After seeing these, I'm leaning toward the EB2800i.

Thank you for your help.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:21:52 PM EDT
[#1]
My personal experience with gcfi outlets is that motors surging to start up will make them prone to tripping. So i believe your fridge, freezer or furnace will not like it.  I don't own any Honda generators- to much of a premium for how often I need a generator.  I own a champion 3500w running and 4250 surge and bought for 250 with a wheel kit (extremely recommend any generator to have wheels.)It is strong enough to run a window unit, washing machines, fridge and freezers. I just alternate plugs during my last power outage a few days ago. I also keep a cheaper no name generator with 2800 running watts and 3200 surge I bought off Craigslist for 150 as back up. I think having two generators helps in case one fails.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:29:32 PM EDT
[#2]
It depends on what you are going to power. For sensitive electronics you want a pure sine-wave output from the generator. If you're just running ACs, freezers, and other non-sensitive electrical devices...the extra expense may not be worth it. 

I have a couple Honda EU2000i units that are stellar and I use them for dry camping my RV and portable HAM radio use. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:29:47 PM EDT
[#3]
GFCIs are not required on genny's less than 5000W as long as they have the circuit wires isolated from ground.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:35:04 PM EDT
[#4]
The idea that a GFCI won't work without a ground is erroneous. (Not that it would be hard to ground your generator.)

Despite having the term "Ground" in the name, A GFCI doesn't actually measure or depend on a ground wire.  Rather, it compares current on the "hot" wire with current on the "neutral" wire.  If they're not the same, it means that the current is leaving the circuit, and it trips.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:38:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I have both but never put oil in the EB yet. Either one is going to be way quieter and more portable than the EG series even though it will make more power. My EU has seen some action and has been flawless. It'll power a window AC, fridge, and freezer pretty easily. Read up on the Dino oil break-in then switch to Mobil 1 after a certain number of hours. They make an extended oil fill/drain spout that is pretty handy. I don't think you'd go wrong with either one.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 2 EU 2000 generators with the parallel operation kit and extended run fuel caps.

Run them together to power the RV in the summer when the aircon is needed.

Or just one in the winter to charge up the battery or run the microwave and coffee pot.

Either can run a laptop or tv.

They are so quiet that the neighbors can't hear them running.

GF can move them on her own if needed. She would not be able to move a single large generator.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:46:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an EU2000i and companion. Do not know if the other is companion comparable. The companion has a 30 amp outlet if they are linked together. 
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:48:54 PM EDT
[#8]
The EU2000i has a 12v-8amp plugin of some sort (says for battery charging only).
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#9]
For what you want to do this is a great setup:

https://m.costco.com/Champion-7000W-Running--9000W-Peak-DUAL-FUEL-Generator-wElectric-Start.product.100220385.html

Much easier to store a few propane tanks than gas.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:59:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a pair of the eu2000i, the standard and the companion. I can not say enough good things about them. They are reliable, quiet, and they sip gas. In the aftermath of hurricane Sandy I ran  my house for 11 days with them. Refrigerator, dishwasher, washer & dryer, gas furnace, TV, lights, etc.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I have no experience with GFI. I do have 2 Yamaha 2000's and a parallel cord. They are great. Quite, the family can move them (45lb ea). I use for RV and home emergency. No regret on 2 small vs 1 big.
I melted my mind doing research. Just get name brand with inverter. Won't regret
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Make sure the new models don't leak gas.  A lot of EU2000i's leak gas badly, and our dealer was unable to fix the problem.  There was a recall, but from what I saw, Honda didn't take the leaking generators off of the market.z
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:08:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought the EG2800i in May, specifically and only for my sump pump.  It provides a little more power than the 2000 models, a worthwhile cushion I think, at about the same cost.  The EG is a lot easier to maneuver than the generac 6500 I had, and much easier to start; basically one light pull.  One person can pick it up.  It is very quiet, even when not on eco mode.  Probably not as quiet as the 2000 models, but my son says the enclosed 2000 models are a pain to access for repairs, etc.  Consider a propane model to avoid gas problems.  I should have done that.  Craigslist is full of generators that sat with gas and now have problems.  But if gas, I am happy with the EG, with non-ethanol gas.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:11:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I own 3 generators. A 12kw propane standby, a 7.2kw electric start gasoline portable and a Honda EB200I . The Honda gets used the most for doing work around the second home and believe it or not for power outages. It just sips fuel and I only have the bigger ones for running heavier loads at the same time. Mainly for the water well is why I got the 7.2KW to back up the 12KW but now I have 2 sources of water since I got parish water. Air Conditioner  in a window is the backup to running the 12kw for central air which I tell the wife it won't do it.

I will buy another honda if something happens to the one I got.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:12:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make sure the new models don't leak gas.  A lot of EU2000i's leak gas badly, and our dealer was unable to fix the problem.  There was a recall, but from what I saw, Honda didn't take the leaking generators off of the market.z
View Quote
I have an EU3000, and while it doesn't leak gas, it does seem to have a problem holding oil. I'm having to top it off to keep the oil light from coming on every time we use it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:24:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I have two of the. ryobi Honda ripoff from Home Depot. They're great.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:03:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I think that I have settled on the EG2800i after reading of all of the issues with running refrigerators and freezers on GFCI outlets (which the EB models have) as PresidentJ pointed out earlier.  

I suppose my last question is more of a generator question in general: Is it safe to leave the generator running outdoors unattended (e.g. overnight) and potentially exposed to weather?  e.g. I don't want to electrocute myself if I go out to turn the thing off and it has rained.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:24:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Ideally, you don't run it in rain due to risk of corrosion and water touching the outlets and such. Ideally generator would be well grounded I believe to help reduce risk of electrocution, my personal one actually has a grounding point you can tie metal wire to and drive a stake into the ground with. (Which is what the manual recommends.)  Some people will build a enclosure or put a canopy over it to keep water off it.  Still, will be risk base on how much water you are exposing it to. My plan was just to move the generator under my rear patio instead of middle back yard. I have co detectors and generator would still be 5 feet away from house with exhaust pointed outwards. Of course you should be weary of people wanting to steal a generator left unattended as well.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:35:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is it safe to leave the generator running outdoors unattended (e.g. overnight) and potentially exposed to weather?  e.g. I don't want to electrocute myself if I go out to turn the thing off and it has rained.
View Quote
GenTent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top