Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 5/1/2015 12:33:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2015 1:36:47 PM EDT by LRRPF52]
Looking at getting a bigger SUV to fit all our kids in. Not buying new (don't go into debt type of family). We're looking at 2009 and up Honda Pilots, and 2001 and up Sequoia's.

From what I've seen so far, there seem to be some issues with electronic steering and brake control with some of the Sequoia's.

Gas mileage favors the Pilots by a few MPG.

Anybody with relevant experience would be helpful to provide feedback.

What kind of life span is normal for the Sequoia engine, transmission, drive train, and electrical?

Has anyone ever replaced an engine and tranny on a Sequoia and ridden it for 200k more miles? Any electrical problems, and long-term maintenance issues?

I like the tube frame of the Sequoia for being able to customize and work on it, versus a unibody.

The Pilots are very quiet inside when driving, which is a consideration.

I've heard different things about the Sequoia road noise inside the passenger compartment.

We're in UT, so mostly surface roads, but lots of ice and snow in winter, a bit of off-road for various activities to include Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts. I'm a Scout Master and my wife is a Wolves Den Leader. We've been involved in Scouting for many years, don't see that changing anytime soon.

We already know how the Pilots handle because multiple family and friends have them, have driven them, but we are looking at seating capacity, large stroller in back plus groceries, lots of uphill driving at higher altitudes, enough off-road for it to be a consideration. Need to be able to seat up to 5 kids regularly, including 3 car seats.

One thing I don't like is having to remove and re-install car seats when using one of our current vehicles for Scouting activities.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:35:27 PM EDT
They are very different vehicles.

Pilot = unibody car based awd system

Sequoia = body on frame truck with a V8 and selectable 4wd with low range

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:35:31 PM EDT
Strange comparison.

How many kids? How old?

Are you towing anything?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:40:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2015 12:41:51 PM EDT by DK-Prof]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:52:53 PM EDT
We have an '08 pilot, 2wd, @ 110,000 miles, so far all good.
Will more than likely get into another one in the future.
I've been inside/driven a few newer Toyota SUVs and not impressed.
JMO
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:54:11 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Storz:

View Quote

I was going to say something along these lines.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:00:08 PM EDT
The Frame wins for me.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:02:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2015 1:04:17 PM EDT by Mall-Ninja]

View Quote

This. Personally, I'd like body on frame and RWD, but let's face it: I have no need for towing, so the people hauler Pilot would work best for me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:03:10 PM EDT
One is a truck and one is a car. Which one do you want or need?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:04:15 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Silver_Surfer:
The Frame wins for me.
View Quote

Those frames are not known for lasting long in salty conditions, I don't know if OP drives salty roads but Toyota has had multiple recalls related to rusty frames.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:07:55 PM EDT
Apples and Oranges.
Pretty hard to compare the two.

I would go with the Toyota.

Pilot electrics can be a real nightmare and the Sequoia is not known for fuel efficiency.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:08:46 PM EDT
Early 2000's sequoias have a 4.7L v-8 that has a timing belt , requiring replacement every 100k or so, next gen has 5.7 L with timing chain.

Many sequoias have had usual toyota frame frame rust issues needing replacement under warranty.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:09:46 PM EDT

View Quote

Yup Seqouia is like a Tahoe or Expedition or Tundra SUV

The pIlot Is like an Accord...
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:11:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GreenLocust:

Those frames are not known for lasting long in salty conditions, I don't know if OP drives salty roads but Toyota has had multiple recalls related to rusty frames.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GreenLocust:
The Frame wins for me.

Agreed

I'd rust proof it to protect my investment.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:12:19 PM EDT
We have a 2006 Sequoia Limited and love it. Seats our four kids (3 in car seats) comfortably even with the middle row being captain seats. DVD player is a godsend for long trips.

Solid truck with 128,000 miles with just routine maintenance.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:13:33 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Mossberg:
One is a truck and one is a car. Which one do you want or need?
View Quote

This. It's an Apples and Coconuts comparison. Pilot is not a "Bigger SUV". It's kinda weird that you put it in that class, but if it suits your needs, then just buy it. Hell, DKProf has me wanting one, with that endorsement of his.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:18:09 PM EDT
Sequoia for more room, hp, towing capacity, higher ground clearance, and resale value.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:22:53 PM EDT
I have owned a Sequoia since it first came out in 2001 and currently driving a 2013 Sequoia Platinum. I sold the first one after 13 years and 190k miles still in great running condition. The only major work was timing belt and had to change out the computer. Other than tires, brakes, and batteries, no major problem. I loved the versatility of carrying large items with the folded down seats (carried a refrigerator) and third row deating (10 adults no problem). The newer model is bigger externally but don't carry as much but still nice to drive as heck. My load is a wife and three kids most of the time and no towing. Live in Texas so the A/C is nice and strong!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:25:30 PM EDT
The pilot is awesome. Driven from NC to MN many times. It handles sleet, ice, snow, rain, and even driving in deep sand on the beach very well. Its also pretty quick. You can be doing 80 and roll on the throttle, still has plenty of passing power. The pilot also has full brush/skid guards under it, and iirc the fuel lines and wires are well protected for offroad use.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:27:52 PM EDT
Toyota 4Runner FTW.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:29:14 PM EDT
The Pilot is a good vehicle. It is NOT an off road vehicle. Sure, the AWD is super and it does ok, but the Sequoia performs better. I enjoy the Pilot and it is dependable.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:33:44 PM EDT
My cousin is on his 3rd transmission with his Pilot. His has close to 200k miles but it's mostly freeway as he lives way out in the country. I'm considering a Sequia if our family expands.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:34:29 PM EDT
Originally Posted By M4:
Toyota 4Runner FTW.
View Quote

This would be more in the same class with the Pilot.

It has a Frame
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:41:06 PM EDT
The wife drives a newer Sequoia Platinum. The turning radius for such a large vehicle is amazing. The gas mileage isn't so great with the 5.7 but we love everything else about it. Also, we live near the coast and have had no rust issues. Drive a 2008 or newer body style and see what you think.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:41:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2015 1:45:04 PM EDT by M4]

It has a Frame
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M4:
Toyota 4Runner FTW.

It has a Frame

Lasts forever, great 4x4 ability, rear wheel drive, body on frame and one of the few mid-sized that still can call itself an SUV with a straight face.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:42:30 PM EDT
We're in UT, so mostly surface roads, but lots of ice and snow in winter, a bit of off-road for various activities to include Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts. I'm a Scout Master and my wife is a Wolves Den Leader. We've been involved in Scouting for many years, don't see that changing anytime soon. There are 50 young men in my Troop, so it takes a lot of adult leaders and their vehicles for us to do activities even when a fraction of the Troop shows up.

We already know how the Pilots handle because multiple family and friends have them, have driven them, but we are looking at seating capacity, large stroller in back plus groceries, lots of uphill driving at higher altitudes, enough off-road for it to be a consideration. Need to be able to seat up to 5 kids regularly, including 3 car seats. I love the handling and quiet ride of the pilot, as well as the longevity. They make great family vehicles for certain. Everyone we know who has Sequoia's loves them as well.

One thing I don't like is having to remove and re-install car seats when using one of our current vehicles for Scouting activities.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:43:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
We're in UT, so mostly surface roads, but lots of ice and snow in winter, a bit of off-road for various activities to include Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts. I'm a Scout Master and my wife is a Wolves Den Leader. We've been involved in Scouting for many years, don't see that changing anytime soon. There are 50 young men in my Troop, so it takes a lot of adult leaders and their vehicles for us to do activities even when a fraction of the Troop shows up.

We already know how the Pilots handle because multiple family and friends have them, have driven them, but we are looking at seating capacity, large stroller in back plus groceries, lots of uphill driving at higher altitudes, enough off-road for it to be a consideration. Need to be able to seat up to 5 kids regularly, including 3 car seats. I love the handling and quiet ride of the pilot, as well as the longevity. They make great family vehicles for certain. Everyone we know who has Sequoia's loves them as well.

View Quote

See the post above yours.

3rd row seating is available....with all other requirements met nicely.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:47:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2015 1:59:02 PM EDT by JoeMal]
We have a Pilot and love it. Tons of room on the inside. I'm 6'6" and am comfortable driving, riding shotgun, or sitting in the back. With the third row folded down, you can fit a ton of stuff back there. We have 1 kid, 2 dogs (one of them is 110lbs), and we frequently travel out of state to visit family. The Pilot has room for all of us and our stuff for 7-14 day trips...and that's without putting anything on top of the vehicle or using a hitch shelf for extra luggage. V6 is tolerable on the gas. Feels like you're driving a truck (Which mimics the experience of the Sequoia I'm sure). We don't need to tow anything, so the Pilot made sense for us with the smaller engine.

EDIT I just looked up the 2016 Pilot.... Not too hot on the exterior but the interior is nice
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:53:52 PM EDT
The 2nd generation Sequoia ('08+) is a beast of a truck. If it's in your budget, that's the way to go. The 5.7 is a solid motor, with plenty of power

The Pilot is a good, reliable vehicle, but it's much lighter-duty than the Sequoia.

I have to ask - is the Suburban a consideration? It's about a foot and a half longer, and has a lot more cargo carrying ability, including 4X8 sheets of plywood with the tailgate closed. I have two, an '01 with 200k miles, and an '08 with 135k miles - both trucks have their original powertrains.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 1:54:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/1/2015 1:57:15 PM EDT by Macumazahn]
Big difference as folks are saying above.

I would actually compare the older Pilots more to a Toyota 4 Runner or even Highlander in some cases instead of a Sequoia. The Pilots have gotten somewhat bigger lately but those are the newer models.

Sequoias are more more comparable to a Tundra, just like a Suburban is similar to a Silverado. Generally they have worse gas mileage, but significantly more power, and are larger, generally have more seating options also - although some of the Pilots now have that also.

I would advise you to go pile the family into one of each and see how you like the room. Both can be excellent vehicles. Pick based on comfort and your needs of hauling stuff.

Also, as the poster above me says, have you considered a Suburban or Tahoe? They are excellent - easily comparable to a Sequoia, but not really to the Pilot. I have also transported full sheets of plywood in mine. They are roomy, powerful, and have a line of good engines. The 6.0 in mine has plenty of power and has had no problems. It is a 2006. I would highly recommend. The 4x4 is excellent for mud and ice, I have used it on both.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:19:38 PM EDT

View Quote

Sounds like you would be better suited with a Sequoia to me.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:22:46 PM EDT
Need to be able to seat up to 5 kids regularly, including 3 car seats.
View Quote

A pilot is not for you. Shop full-size only.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:31:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/2/2015 2:31:30 PM EDT by LRRPF52]
Thanks for all the relevant replies. Any mechanics with experience and recommendations on the Sequoia or related chassis, engine, transmission, electrical/electronics?
Top Top