Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/4/2005 11:35:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2005 11:47:52 AM EDT by TacticalStrat]
Yesterday I went to lunch in my car with two friends from work. On the way back, I'm driving through a residential neighborhood in a pretty bad area when I see this Honda pulling out from a side street. I sensed that he doesn't see me and because of his angle and high speed, he's coming in for a direct hit on the drivers side of my car. So I nail it to try to get past him before he enters into my lane and my space. I am successful and he misses the rear of my car by inches. He would have definitely T-boned me if I hadn't of sped-up.

About 1/4 mile up the road is a traffic light and it's red. I pull to a stop and tell my friends: "Watch this...the guy will pull up next to me and start giving me shit and he'll blame the near accident on me." Sure enough, he pulls up next to us and starts screaming and flailing his arms around saying: "You want some of me!!!! You want some of me!!!!" He's a Homey in a lowered 10 year old POS Honda Accord. He's got the tats all up and down his arms and the snow cap on his head. The guy in my back seat (x-army) gives his some dirty looks and this advances the situation.

Homey starts to jump out of the car and I'm reaching for my gun in the glove box. Then I see the homey has a steel bar in his hand. I have another problem because the guy in the passenger seat is like 350 lbs and his knees are pressed against the glove box because he moved the seat up for the guy in the back. I can't get the glove box open because of this big whopper w/ cheese eatin dough-boy. There are cars in front and behind blocking the road and the light is still red. I'm like "MOVE YOUR BIG ASS OUT OF THE WAY.. FOOOOOOK!!!!!" By this time, Homey is standing outside my car screaming and swinging the steel bar, and all I can think is this idiot is gonna start smashing my windows out and whack someone in the head with this steel bar. I can't get my gun. Fat boy is reacting slower than x-mas. Then the light turns green and I speed away.

There's a lesson to learn here. Don't let fat people block access to your gun. All I could think while all this was happening was that I was going to die because my friend is so fat, he can't move out of the way.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:37:35 AM EDT
Gun under the seat in a holster.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:38:21 AM EDT
Uhhh, just get a permit (if you don't have one) and carry on your body?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:38:50 AM EDT
he probably kept you from going to prison....you owe him BIG...no pun intended
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:39:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CSM:

How do you keep it from sliding all over the place?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:39:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Hawker:

The homie probably would have shit himself if he saw the gun.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:39:46 AM EDT

Sounds like you need new friends.

Also, when I stop at a light, I make a habit of stopping about 15 feet from the bumper of the car in front of me, so I have some room to move if necessary. I read this in a police magazine a long time ago, and it has always stuck with me. Avoiding the center lane whenever possible is also a good idea.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:39:53 AM EDT

I wasn't going to start shooting. I just wanted to have the gun in my hand if I needed it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:39:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TacticalStrat:

Attached to the seat frame.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:40:17 AM EDT

There's a lesson to learn here. Don't let fat people block access to your gun. All I could think while all this was happening was that I was going to die because my friend is so fat, he can't move out of the way.

How about - don't be a stupid F%&K and put your gun in the glove compartment where you can't immediately get to it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:40:46 AM EDT

Sure enough, he pulls up next to us and starts screaming and flailing his arms around saying: "You want some of me!!!! You want some of me!!!!" He's a Homey in a lowered 10 year old POS Honda Accord. He's got the tats all up and down his arms and the snow cap on his head. The guy in my back seat (x-army) gives his some dirty looks and this advances the situation.

Should have blown him a kiss
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:43:34 AM EDT

That's tongue in cheek, right?

My dad was sent to a DOD defensive driving school, since he returned, I have seldom, if ever, stopped for any reason without leaving enough room to egress.

From reading your posts here, I sense that you operate similarly.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:43:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AvengeR15:

Also, when I stop at a light, I make a habit of stopping about 15 feet from the bumper of the car in front of me, so I have some room to move if necessary. I read this in a police magazine a long time ago, and it has always stuck with me. Avoiding the center lane whenever possible is also a good idea.

+1.

You should be able to see the tires of the car in front of you touching the ground. That's a good measure and will give you room to move.

R.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:43:52 AM EDT
You should have told fatass to get the fuck out.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:44:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Forest:

How about - don't be a stupid F%&K and put your gun in the glove compartment where you can't immediately get to it.

Having access to my glove box blocked by an extremely overweight person was something I had never planned for. Ya learn something new everyday.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:46:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AvengeR15:

What I do in the HMMWV (for the times I get stuck driving.) is make sure that I stop back far enough that I can see the ground directly underneath thier tires. This allows for enough room (even in a vehicle with as wide a wheelbase as a HMMWV) to pull to either side if you need to escape. This trick works in any vehicle. Try it out.

John
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:46:58 AM EDT
Maybe next time, SLOW DOWN, instead of "nailing it" and trying to beat him ??

Whipping past someone at high-speed, and cutting them off IS kinda likely to make them a little perturbed, at times.....

And put the fat guy in the back seat tomorrow
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:50:57 AM EDT
I'm not pulling till I'm going to shoot. In Arkansas shooting someone coming at you with weapon is legal, if you can't escape anyway. I can't imagine it being illegal in Texas.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:52:17 AM EDT

Having access to my glove box blocked by an extremely overweight person was something I had never planned for. Ya learn something new everyday.

Hmm the fact you would have to OPEN a compartment was wrong thinking in the first place. Add in you'd have to lean over to the other side.

It should be on your person, or in a holster attached to your sear (or under the stearing wheel).
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:52:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2005 11:59:32 AM EDT by Dolomite]
[keyboard kommando mode = ON] Monday morning QB-ing:

In my driver's side door pocket is a 4 oz can of FOX and a litle zip-loc with 2 Sudecon packs and a pair of rubber gloves.

This would (hopefully) indicate that I was prepared to at least try and use less lethal means to protect myself (even if I never reached for the spray due to the overwhelming fear that any reasonable person would be experiencing in the same situation, and sadly, felt forced to take other immediate action to protect my innocent passengers).

Or, it could turn out: "So sorry about the cross contamination 350lb doughboy!"
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:54:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JB69:

Whipping past someone at high-speed, and cutting them off IS kinda likely to make them a little perturbed, at times.....

The maneuver I made to avoid the accident was the right one to make. He was pulling onto a main road from a side street with a stop sign. He was 100% at fault. It was obvious he did not even see my car. You're just gonna have to trust me on that. I don't feel like explaining every last detail of the road layout, angle of both vehicles, potential outcomes, etc.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:54:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Engineer:
Uhhh, just get a permit (if you don't have one) and carry on your body?

no fucking shit...
just be happy homey didn't have himself a "guage"...
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:55:44 AM EDT
So it's your fat friend's fault you drive a small shitbox?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:56:33 AM EDT

The maneuver I made to avoid the accident was the right one to make. He was pulling onto a main road from a side street with a stop sign. He was 100% at fault. It was obvious he did not even see my car. You're just gonna have to trust me on that. I don't feel like explaining every last detail of the road layout, angle of both vehicles, potential outcomes, etc.

Yeah, I'm with Stratocaster on this one, I've been in similar situations, there's no duty to slam on your brakes just because soem shitbird is tooling along without a care in the world.

Entering a main drag from a side street and NOT hitting a car because it moved is NOT getting cut off.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:56:53 AM EDT

Nothing slides around in my car if it's on the floor. The seats are smooth enough for some things to slide around, but the carpeted floor keeps things where I put them.

If I had a handgun, I'd keep it under seat... except that my seats make it awkward to reach down and grab something.

That and having had my car broken into, nothing stolen out of it (change still in the tray, cd's still on the passenger seat) but the glove box open and its contents spilled and everything stored under the seats pulled out, I'm a little leery about leaving a handgun in the car. It'd have to be on me when it wasn't in the vehicle.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:57:47 AM EDT
It's clear you need to institute some kind of fitness standards for your passengers. If an individual is not height/ weight proportionate, can not run 3 miles in no more than 27 minutes, and does not have their own weapon and extra mag, tell them they have to walk.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:59:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:00:17 PM EDT

Homey with a steal bar in his hand? Assuming he was within 21 feet this would likely be a good shoot in Texas. As stated, TacticalStrat couldn't safely retreat and homey was certainly acting in a threatening manner. Of course, it goes without saying that it is always better that you don't have to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:00:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2005 12:02:00 PM EDT by M4]

I agree with the way you handled it and I would be equally annoyed at myself for not having the gun at easy reach. Any ghetto mutant swinging a steel bar around me is a LOT more likely than most to become a bullet catcher for my gun. Odds have it shooting him would not be necessary, but I sure as hell wouldn't feel comfortable letting him be the one to decide he wants to knock me in the head. No way.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:01:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RS39:
Check out advertiser MissouriCarry for the case that is lockable, steel, with cable loop for the seat frame. Set it so it can not slide up to the pedals, put it under the mat. Unlocked is fairly quick access to flip mat and case, and can be locked when leaving the car to hit the bars where you can not carry.

I've got a Center of Mass box. Great comfort against the potential of a smash and grab type robbery - but not exactly "quick".
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:02:06 PM EDT

Hmm the fact you would have to OPEN a compartment was wrong thinking in the first place. Add in you'd have to lean over to the other side.

It should be on your person, or in a holster attached to your sear (or under the stearing wheel).

Everyone has unique requirements that they address in the way they store or carry their weapon. Since you don't know anything about me, I don't see how you can make an assessment on how I should store or carry my gun. There are outside factors that control the decision I made on how I carry my gun, and I'm not going to get into all the details. I'll just say this: People I work with ride in my car all the time, and I would prefer that some of these people that ride in my car not know that I have a gun in my car.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:03:47 PM EDT

Bullshit!!!!!!! You clearly cut him off by not allowing him to blow the stop sign and that clearly was enough provocation for him to be justified in egressing his vehicle with the metal bar he kept handy for beating motorists he didn't like.

Asshole!!!!

J/K by the way.

I have mine in the center console. Can't carry into my work so it has to stay in the car durring the day. Ever tried to draw from your holster concealed in a car seat before? For my carry position it is slow as shit to try and get to it while in my drivers seat.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:07:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bogz:

It's a BMW M3. While not a large car. I wouldn't classify it as a "shitbox"

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:08:41 PM EDT
I wouldn't classify it as a shit box either.

M3's are fantastic cars....nice wheels!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:09:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bogz:

It's a BMW M3. While not a large car. I wouldn't classify it as a "shitbox"

members.roadfly.com/agent7/M3/M3_360_bridge.jpg

God you gotta love the conclusions people here can jump to to find a bone to pick. Yes sir, those M-series BMWs are real turds on wheels.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:11:47 PM EDT

A lot of people don't realize that once the car is in motion it is OFTEN times the gas pedal that will get you out of more trouble. Slamming on the brakes has several negative effects:
1- Your car's driving dynamics change radically, making the car MORE difficult to manuver.
2- If there is other traffic, especially behind you, your risk of being rear-ended jumps dramatically
3- In many situations, braking will stop you right in the middle of the accident

In this instance, you were going to get hit if you did not react within milliseconds. You reacted and avoided being hit.

You did the right thing. Fuck it if the other guy gets "pissed off" because of some percieved slight. If this guy had hit you he would have been doing the same thing, screaming at you, blaming you, etc... It is the "LOOTER MENTALITY"

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:13:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2005 12:15:38 PM EDT by Alien]
Obviously, I’m sure you know that you need to get a concealed weapons permit (if you can get one where you live) and or keep the gun on you or keep readily accessible. If it’s not on me in my waistband, it’s in the seat next to me in the passenger seat in my open gym bag. Obviously you couldn't have kept it in the seat next to you, but still the point is the same- keep it accessible. I would never keep a gun in the glovebox or in the car for longer than a few minutes, especially if it’s out of sight. If you can't get one where you live... well... don't ask, don't tell.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:17:00 PM EDT
god, beemers have sweet lines! too bad they're so temperamental...

nice frigging ride!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:20:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Rustygun:
It's clear you need to institute some kind of fitness standards for your passengers. If an individual is not height/ weight proportionate, can not run 3 miles in no more than 27 minutes, and does not have their own weapon and extra mag, tell them they have to walk.

I love it!!! HAAAAAAA!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:26:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hardcorps1775:
god, beemers have sweet lines! too bad they're so temperamental...

nice frigging ride!

Thanks man! I have about 33,000 miles on mine and it's been a great car. I've had a few small issues but the dealer has been great about fixing them (free loaner car too). It's my 3rd BMW and I'll likely buy another. I definitely would not want to own one out of warranty. I usually sell mine about 5 or 6 months before the warranty runs out.

When they hit about 60,000 miles, they start having major issues that are VERY expensive to fix.

A friend of mine has a high mileage 528 that had the computer brain go out. The dealer charged him $7500 to fix it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:27:30 PM EDT
FOOOOOOK!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:32:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RS39:
Check out advertiser MissouriCarry for the case that is lockable, steel, with cable loop for the seat frame. Set it so it can not slide up to the pedals, put it under the mat. Unlocked is fairly quick access to flip mat and case, and can be locked when leaving the car to hit the bars where you can not carry.

Thanks...I'll check it out. That's sounds like what I need.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:33:06 PM EDT
Dude, get a bigger car, or skinnier friends.

While you are at it, get some friends with some balls.

Your fat friend should've been out of the car before you, and then the guy in the back seat.

Pussies.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:34:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:36:59 PM EDT
Wait a second, you dont make the guy riding shotgun actually hold a shotgun?

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:48:38 PM EDT
If that would have been the State of FL.
it would have been open season on that POS
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:55:41 PM EDT
Glad it came out ok...it could have been worse.

But your friend must be not much of a friend with the way you blast him. You said his knees were jammed against the glovebox...because he pulled his seat up for the guy in back..

Sounds like it would be a problem if he was fat or not....shit if the guy was 6'3" and 150 pounds, his knees would probably still be jammed against the glovebox.

Pull that seat forward and there isn't much room period.

Sounds like it was the guy in the back seats fault....
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:02:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2005 1:03:20 PM EDT by Gloftoe]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:07:40 PM EDT
I carry a rifle right next to me when I drive, I've settled people down at red lights with it before
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:09:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MuRDoC:
I carry a rifle right next to me when I drive, I've settled people down at red lights with it before

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:17:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2005 1:33:19 PM EDT by CitySlicker]

Attached to the seat frame.

One or two strips of Duct tape. ETA: Before people actually take that seriously

More importantly, why don't you have a CCW permit? You live in TX and you're not even taking advantage of it!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top