Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2004 12:01:48 AM EDT
Ok, i need some homework help. It is for a chem class.

Here is the problem:

If the concentration of mercury in the water of a polluted lake is 0.41 µg per liter of water, what is the total mass (kg) of mercury in the lake? The lake has a surface area of 100 square miles and an average depth of 25 feet.

µg= 1x10^-6 m

anybody know how to do this?

the answer has to be in kg.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:35:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:36:12 AM EDT
[#2]
How old are you?

First find the volume of the lake and convert to Liters

Hints : 1 mile = 5280 feet & 1 liter = .0353cubic feet

Then when you have the number of liters multiply by 0.41 to get the micrograms then convert micro grams to Kg
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:40:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How old are you?

First find the volume of the lake and convert to Liters

Hints : 1 mile = 5280 feet & 1 liter = .0353cubic feet

Then when you have the number of liters multiply by 0.41 to get the micrograms then convert micro grams to Kg

almost 19.

Thanks abunch everyone.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:42:37 AM EDT
[#4]
FrdM-No need to be a dick about it.  What the hell does his age have to do with a chemistry class?

But yes, you have the density, conert your volume to liters, multiply and you have your mass.  Count your decimals and remember to keep your units straight.

Simplified problem:

You have one gram of X/ liter of water.  you have five liters of water.  How many grams of X do you have?

5 grams.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:44:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I sucked at math so I'm not getting involved
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:45:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

don't worry, its not math. its chem.
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 12:47:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

don't worry, its not math. its chem.

numbers bad
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:39:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
FrdM-No need to be a dick about it.  What the hell does his age have to do with a chemistry class?

But yes, you have the density, conert your volume to liters, multiply and you have your mass.  Count your decimals and remember to keep your units straight.

Simplified problem:

You have one gram of X/ liter of water.  you have five liters of water.  How many grams of X do you have?

5 grams.

Who's being a dick?  I just helped him!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:42:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Normal water or compressed water?
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:49:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Explanations above are fine.

This is the first problem I did out since Calculus freshman year.  Honestly having done anything outside of the basics since.

History major rawks.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 1:50:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Normal water or compressed water?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top