Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2006 1:57:57 PM EDT
OK. I run a Macbook Pro and use a Apple Airport Express wireless router. It works phenomanlly and is very seamless. My brother's and I got my mother a Dell laptop for Christmas. I can not get it to join the network. When I try to select the network on the Dell it asks for a "network key" which I do not have apparently. The password is NOT the network key.

It's really a bummer as my mom was so excited to get a laptop for Christmas but I can't get it to join the network.

The router is running WAP and WAP2 security not WEP. The number of allowed users is high enough to allow her Dell to join.

What else do you need to know? This is driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#1]
The only thing I can offer is turn the  WAP and WAP2 off and see if it connects.. that way you can make sure all the settings are OK.. Im not sure what a network key is, but it sounds like a security thing

I love my MAC.. Windows machines are hard (IMHO) to get all the settings set correctly.. My mac tells me what is available and would i like to join that network when i connect wirelessly..  (OK, im off my buy a Mac soap box  LOL)

brian

Link Posted: 12/25/2006 7:37:21 PM EDT
[#2]
login your your router and get the wpa2 or wpa password.    then  when you connect to the new laptop type in the same code

if it doesn't connect you might need to check for a newer wireless card driver for the lapttop.   if i still doesn't connect you might have a new laptop with a wireless card that doesn't connect to wpa  
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
login your your router and get the wpa2 or wpa password.    then  when you connect to the new laptop type in the same code

if it doesn't connect you might need to check for a newer wireless card driver for the lapttop.   if i still doesn't connect you might have a new laptop with a wireless card that doesn't connect to wpa  

Network key does not equal the password.

I'm starting to think it may not be WPA compatible.
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 8:13:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Do you have a WPA password assigned to your Airport Express?  Also, if this Dell laptop is new, you should have WPA support, with no problems whatsoever.  Is it running Windows XP SP2?

Yes i have a WPA password assigned. I use it on my mac.

This is a refurb Dell C640 laptop we got my mother. I've been trying to find out whether it supports WPA or not. It is running XP Pro.
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Airport base stations and Windows are weird sometimes.  

If you want to allow XP to manage the wireless connection, do some google searches and you'll find some tips.

or you can try this.  

www.apple.com/support/downloads/airport41forwindows.html
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Airport base stations and Windows are weird sometimes.  

If you want to allow XP to manage the wireless connection, do some google searches and you'll find some tips.

or you can try this.  

www.apple.com/support/downloads/airport41forwindows.html

Holy crap. I'm gonna try that now.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 4:51:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

good grief,  I think i know what i am talking about.....  

i've been setting up wireless networks for the last 8 years.    
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

good grief,  I think i know what i am talking about.....  

i've been setting up wireless networks for the last 8 years.    

Well I don't but I know the WAP & WAP2 password its a 15 letter word. It doesn't work where the Dell asks for "Network Key". HOwever, I don't do this for a living so what am I misunderstanding.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 9:26:55 AM EDT
[#10]
if you are putting in whats in the router and it doesn't connect,  the next step is to look for a updated driver for your wireless card.  

you will have to check the manufactors web page for the updated driver.

if its a dell you can look it up by the service tag @ the bottom of the machine.

if its a 3rd party linksys/ dlink you have to check their page  
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 9:38:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
if you are putting in whats in the router and it doesn't connect,  the next step is to look for a updated driver for your wireless card.  

if its a dell you can look it up by the service tag @ the bottom of the machine.

OK great. Thanks. I will do that next and let ya know how it goes.
Link Posted: 12/26/2006 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK great. Thanks. I will do that next and let ya know how it goes.

Well its a Dell True Mobile 1150 Wireless mini PCI Card. I DLed the driver and installed it. Per the instructions here. Then it gives instruction on how to enable WPA-PSK  or WPA encryption but I don't know where to do that. Where is the "profile"?

The instructions are:

Enabling WPA-PSK encryption

1. Inside the profile, select WPA-PSK for the Network Authentication.
  2. Select TKIP or WEP for Data Encryption. (Note: TKIP will provide higher security, but the access point must also support and be set for TKIP)
  3. Enter the correct encryption key in the Network key box.

Enabling WPA encryption

1. Inside the profile, select WPA for the Network Authentication.
  2. Select TKIP or WEP for Data Encryption. (Note: TKIP will provide higher security, but the access point must also support and be set for TKIP)
  3. Select the Authentication tab.
  4. Select the Properties button.
  5. Check the box next to the certificate that is valid for your network.

BTW, I'm online on a wireless network right now on the Dell. It's just not mine!

Link Posted: 12/26/2006 1:54:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, I finally had a chance to DL the Client Manager and still no Joy.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#15]
have you hooked the laptop up to another wireless network to see if it CAN connect.

have you disabled wpa to see if it will connect to your network equipment?

you might restore factory defaults on your router and start over from scratch
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#16]

The "network password" is used by the router to create the network keys.  At least on my router and hardware, a single password creates four separate keys you can use.

I've been told that different brands of router hardware don't necessarily use exactly the same algorithm to create the keys from the password.  So, when in doubt, you look for the key in hexadecimal and copy it over exactly.

I don't do this professionally, and my only experiences have been with Linksys and Netgear WPA, so YMMV.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:45:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
have you hooked the laptop up to another wireless network to see if it CAN connect.

have you disabled wpa to see if it will connect to your network equipment?

you might restore factory defaults on your router and start over from scratch

Yes, I posted from a open network from the neighbors.

I've messed with going to WEP on the Apple router and disabled the WPA , I think.

I won't bother. I'm going back to my m ther's house ina few days. Will get her a router and set up a network for her there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top