Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2006 10:00:11 PM EDT
Does anyone make something like this?

Because of the layout of our house, it's not very simple to aesthetically hookup the rear wired speakers. So far I haven't bothered with it but it's not so great to only get the front speakers and subwoofer.

Is there anything like that which would hookup to my existing Onkyo 5.1 sound system?

Any good options here or am I screwed?

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:03:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I know a guy who has some from Sony that use an IR signal from a transmitter on the top of the TV.  I guess it works good, unless something blocks the beam.

I wonder if there's any that use bluetooth...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:03:40 PM EDT
[#2]
does your onkyo receive have an option for surround out via line level?

Because if it doesn't, you're going to have knock the speaker lvel signal to line level, and then feed it to a transmitter which would go to the wireless speakers.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:08:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw some wireless speakers advertised just recently.
I thought "Hey, that's what I need so I don't have to run wires up in the attic.".
Then I noticed they had to plugged into the wall!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:29:08 AM EDT
[#4]
They're out there but the acoustic quality isn't quite there yet if that's important to you.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Does anyone make something like this?

Because of the layout of our house, it's not very simple to aesthetically hookup the rear wired speakers. So far I haven't bothered with it but it's not so great to only get the front speakers and subwoofer.

Is there anything like that which would hookup to my existing Onkyo 5.1 sound system?

Any good options here or am I screwed?

NOOOOOO!!

Sorry about that.  Had to get your attention.  Please, do NOT buy them.  I have many friends who bought them, who thought they were cool, and I have seen many of them.... TERRIBLE SOUND QUALITY.

I am a shooter... so you know my ears can't be that great... but EVEN I could hear this ANNOYING high pitched WHINE coming through the speakers.

OH MY GOSH... it sounds terrible. If you have ever shot a gun with no hearing protection... and then everything is muffled by that RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNGGGG.... that lasts for a while.... that is EXACTLY the sound coming out of wireless speakers.

Bleh... bleh I say... BLEH.

To be honest with you... I think the whole surround experience isn't worth what you have to invest in it.

Please hear me out...  I am ALL FOR having a 5.1 receiver and Two front speakers, and a center channel speaker.  I think DVDs sound much better this way.... with all of the dialog coming through the center channel speaker and the effects and movie music through the left and right front speakers.  Even a subwoofer is nice if you want very deep base for music and movies.  So basically I am advocating a 3.1 system.

I am all for buying a GOOD receiver, and three VERY good speakers: one center channel speaker, and two front speakers.  A subwoofer is nice if you like it... but it isn't required.  The extra money spent on speakers, and wires to connect two, three, or FOUR additional back speakers (in the case of a 7.1 system).... JUST SO YOU can hear a bird go "tweet, tweet" in the background... just isn’t worth it to me.  I would rather invest that additional money in better front & center channel speakers.

Here is a second point….

I like music just as much as I like movies, and I use my receiver as a stereo as well.  Some receivers give you the "option" to play your Stereo sound source (a CD) through all the speakers.... but to me... all those "digital sound processing programs..DSPs" sound worse than regular 2 channel Stereo.  So in THAT case... all those extra speakers aren't doing me ANY good…. Just money down the tubes.

Story time…

I was visiting a friend who had the whole 5.1 setup….. speakers, wiring… everything.  So I decided to experiment.  I watched The Matrix 2 and 3 with the surround speakers turned up louder… so I would be able to hear what came out of them.

Well…. I head a door slam as some one was leaving a room…. I head an engine noise when a ship was flying by…. I head a few drowned out voices that were supposed to add “background realism.”

All in all… it did NOTHING to add to the movie.  Then I realized how much my friend PAID to hear that “nothing”… and I was very happy I didn’t.

But then again… YMMV, and if it is something you enjoy… go for it.

Have a good one.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Dang Stainless, guess you have already formed a strong opinion about this one huh! Lol

Believe me when I say that I am really NOT an audiophile (hell I even think 128kbps MP3 coming out of my computer sounds pretty darned good so 'tin ear' doesn't do me justice!).

Also I already own all the 'wired' equipment since the home theater system came with the 2 rear satellites but for the past 18 months that I've had it they've never even been taken out of the plastic overwrap.

What I'm looking for ideally would be some sort of transmitter from the existing AV Receiver that would beam to a station where I could plug my existing rear surround speakers into it.
I have a power connection nearby where I want to mount them but there is no reasonable way to get wire to them.

Seriously I'm clueless when it comes to home theater/audio equipment and my requirements are not particularly demanding (constant 'hiss' would be a showstopper though...surely that's just interference?)

Bastiat the receiver I have is an ONKYO HT-R420 which was part of the HT-S677 'package' so I have no idea whether it has 'surround out via line level'....in fact I'll confess that I don't even understand that sentence. (Sorry)

Stainless, I agree about playing music through the multichannel setup it doesn't have quite the same 'punch' or something.

So to summarize I've already got a setup and I'd still like to know what my options are so I can investigate further....I just don't know where to start since google wasn't helping me any.

Thanks for y'alls time.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top