Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2004 2:43:53 PM EDT
Does anyone make a single unit to replace, Stereo, DVD, VHS, and all that stuff? It would be nice if every time something went wrong we wouldnt have to get a union electrician out here to fix it. Got 50 or more wires behind the TV right now.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#1]
If there is such a thing, it's probably crap.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:47:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#3]
There are quite a few home-theater-in-a-box units, made by almost every manufacturer.  You can get very cheap ones for under $300, good ones for around $700-1000 and high-end ones for well over that.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Good point, last time I handled a VHS was at least three years ago.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Does anyone make a single unit to replace, Stereo, DVD, VHS, and all that stuff? It would be nice if every time something went wrong we wouldnt have to get a union electrician out here to fix it. Got 50 or more wires behind the TV right now.

That is the EXACT reason I gave up on surround systems in 1995.
Million miles of wire chaos.  Not worth it any more
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I am failing to follow your logic.

You are afraid that something might go wrong with your connections behind your components - yet you think the solution would be to get a big box where you can't even SEE the connections?  I would rather not have all of my eggs in one basket and be able to upgrade individual components as I see fit.

Cable management is an art - try to keep speaker cables, power cables, and A/V cables separately bunched together.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Its that damn redundancy. We finally got one remote to control eveything. Cost almost $700 too, once everything was set up for that. Everything needed a wire to everything else, and it takes up 15 sq ft of floor space to put it all together, and thats stacked two appliances high. It would be nice to have only a couple of cables anywhere.

No, the cables dont get dislodged, but sometimes somebody hits a wrong button and it screws with the software. With all of the different makes and models under the TV, its a very delicate balance and things tend to go on the fritz. Dont get me started on power outages. Those fuck everything up too.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:15:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd rather have separate components because many times combo units share the same circuitry and if 1 fails it will take the other one out. The quality of the video is also compromised to keep costs down. If you wire the thing neatly to begin with it's not bad at all.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:20:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's my "all in one unit

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#10]
But then again here is the back of it

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:25:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice Rack!
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:38:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Have you thought about putting together a home theater pc?  One can easily set one up to act as dvd player and Tvo box.  Not to mention they are capable of doing some light gaming as well.  I will finish building mine on monday.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Its that damn redundancy. We finally got one remote to control eveything. Cost almost $700 too, once everything was set up for that. Everything needed a wire to everything else, and it takes up 15 sq ft of floor space to put it all together, and thats stacked two appliances high. It would be nice to have only a couple of cables anywhere.

No, the cables dont get dislodged, but sometimes somebody hits a wrong button and it screws with the software. With all of the different makes and models under the TV, its a very delicate balance and things tend to go on the fritz. Dont get me started on power outages. Those fuck everything up too.

Sounds like you have some screwy equipment.  What kind of remote did you buy?  My Home Theater Master MX-500 has never lost programming, despite being lost twice, once while packed in boxes shipped by boat from Korea to the US and stored three months in Virginia - the whole time without batteries!
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Here's my "all in one unit

gallery.avsforum.com/data/501/27144rack__2_-med.jpg

Bomber

Is that a VSX-47TX I see on top there? Maybe a 49?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#15]
It's a 47. The pic is a year old. The 47 is only handling the rear surrounds of a 7.1 system as there is now a Sherbourn 5/1500A 250 WPC amp in that rack along with a Pioneer Elite 59Avi DVD player.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:48:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like you have some screwy equipment.  What kind of remote did you buy?  My Home Theater Master MX-500 has never lost programming, despite being lost twice, once while packed in boxes shipped by boat from Korea to the US and stored three months in Virginia - the whole time without batteries!

The remote works well, its radio controlled and all. Its just that the equipment, some of which is a decade old, tends to reset itself. Since everything works together, and its a delicate setup, we gotta get the electrician back out at god knows how much per hour to figure it out.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It's a 47. The pic is a year old. The 47 is only handling the rear surrounds of a 7.1 system as there is now a Sherbourn 5/1500A 250 WPC amp in that rack along with a Pioneer Elite 59Avi DVD player.

Bomber

Nice! I have a 47 and Paradigm Studio Series speakers. I'm going to add good amps, probably next year when I take the HDTV plunge. I have a Denon DVD-2200 which I bought because it can play DVD Audio and SACD's.  I'm building my system as I can afford - it's tough hiding funds from my gun addiction! I'm really happy with the 47 so far though!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top