Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/23/2005 1:30:58 PM EDT
I'd like to hear the thoughts of this esteemed forum on the topic of home schooling. Are there any home schoolers on board? If so, what advances or drawbacks have you experienced? If you tried it and then dropped it, what were your experiences "mainstreaming" your children (or yourself) back into institutionalized education, whether it was going back to public school, private school, or college?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:33:36 PM EDT
The classmates I went to high school with that transferrred from home school severely lacked social skills. I know everyone gets tormented in high school, but these kids had it pretty rough because they had no idea how to deal with such a larger world. Just my experience.

I will not homeschool my kids.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:35:26 PM EDT
I home schooled both my children.

Algrebra was a little rough but other than that it went fine.

Anyone can teach, all you have to do is be one chapter ahead of the kids.

Sending kids to public school is indoctrination and abuse IMHO.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:36:04 PM EDT
I homeschooled my oldest two kids up until last year. My husband has insisted that I put them back in school.

I found that they both fit in socially fine although it didn't take long for them to start talking crap left and right.

Academically my kids were both far ahead of the public school but I made the mistake of catering to their learning styles too much as they must learn from all means and learn to adapt to their strengths and weaknesses.

I have learned that in my state the schools do not recognize the work home schoolers done so things like High School Diploma's and entering Freshman scholarships for college are pretty much an impossibility.

In a nutshell I'm a strong proponent of home schooling and if I had a supportive husband both emotionally and financially I'd still be doing it.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:36:29 PM EDT
Both my kids were homeschooled by my ex-wife and both regretted it later. I think they got a better education and avoided the public school bullshit, but the sports and socialization is important, too.
There is a trade off. Kids really miss proms, yearbooks, graduation, etc, but the BS from public school is overwhelming, so you have to decide.
Also, when my son went into the Navy, he had a real hard time getting past the recruiter demanding a diploma to copy for the file. It sounds dumb, but they made him take 15 college credits before he could get in.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:38:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GabbasaurusRex:
The classmates I went to high school with that transferrred from home school severely lacked social skills.

My kids social skills are fine.

Granted, they didn't learn about buttsex in the second grade or how to put a condom on a cucumber in the 6th grade or the Islam is a wonderful religion that never did no wrong.............but other than that they are fine socially. I mean hell! They even say "Yes sir" and "No sir"!

Sgatr15

PS And the don't like rap music................
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:43:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 1:59:54 PM EDT by pale_pony]

Originally Posted By sgtar15:
I home schooled both my children.

Algrebra was a little rough but other than that it went fine.

Sgtar15

Oklahoma is probably the only state where the right to home school is specifically addressed in our state Constitution. There are quite a few "Advanced Class" teaching cooperatives forming in the metropolitan areas. (ie: parents not-so-good at math...send the kiddo's to an organized Geometry or Algebra class maintained by and for homeschoolers.)

sgtar, thanks for your input. Your wisdom is recognized here.

Originally Posted By pattymcn:
Academically my kids were both far ahead of the public school but I made the mistake of catering to their learning styles too much as they must learn from all means and learn to adapt to their strengths and weaknesses.

definitely something to keep in mind, pattymcn thanks for sharing your experience.

The classmates I went to high school with that transferrred from home school severely lacked social skills. I know everyone gets tormented in high school, but these kids had it pretty rough because they had no idea how to deal with such a larger world. Just my experience.

Definitely strong words of caution, thanks for your wisdom GabbasaurusRex
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:44:26 PM EDT
While it can work extremely well for some. A show was on a while back with some of the most intelligent kids in the US, and one was homeschooled to a point, IIRC, until HS. He's going Ivy league for sure.

Although, my cousin was home-schooled for several years and sucked on his mom's tit until he was 5. His social skills and behavior are, well...different.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:46:22 PM EDT

Not a flame, but that's hardley representative. I've known plenty of high school kids who were life long public school products that had the social skills of a stinky chimp. Seen plenty of well adjusted humans that came from home schooling groups too. The notion that man was unable to properly socialize before state run schools is nonsense really.

My wife teaches so ours will likely go to public school, but if that education starts heading the direction of many urban schools these days I may well be looking at other options.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:47:08 PM EDT

Sgtar15

That's as far off the deep end as the other extreme.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:47:25 PM EDT

The classmates I went to high school with that transferrred from home school severely lacked social skills.

Granted, they didn't learn about buttsex in the second grade or how to put a condom on a cucumber in the 6th grade or the Islam is a wonderful religion that never did no wrong.............but other than that they are fine socially. I mean hell! They even say "Yes sir" and "No sir"!

Sgatr15

Big +1.

We homeschool our children.

As for lacking 'social skills' that's just BS. As a rule I find home school kids are more polite, better educated, and are far less likely to be troublemakers. They even get along with younger/older kids much better than the Government schooled children (as they have to deal with different age groups all the time).

Hell my kids have a better 'social life' than my wife and I do. They have seen more, done more, and no overstressed teacher is trying to force my kids to take narcotics (i.e. Ritilin).

With Homeschooling you get to optimize the education for your child. Not all children learn the same way or at the same speed. Yet in the .Gov Schools all the kids are forced to learn a single way, at the speed of the lowest common denominator.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:48:23 PM EDT
my two cousins were both home schooled.

One Boy and one girl. Their parents did a great job of creating non social, almost to the point of unemployable, hermits.

Weirdos does not begin to describe them....

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:49:45 PM EDT
If you take them out of school you have to put them into community sports, boy/girl scouts, karate, 4H, SOMETHING! so that they can meet other kids their age that aren't just from the neighborhood.

I can't stress how many homeschool kids I've seen that never make any friends and they just lock themselves away when they get to college. It's really a sad sight.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:49:57 PM EDT
I think you have to look at what state he lives in and go from there.... jmho

Originally Posted By Grunteled:

Sgtar15

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:50:29 PM EDT
Just get them involved with activities. church is am exellent source for this. Large groups of kids. Face it pecking order is for life. I don;t see why if you home school them you would ever let them go to high school.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:51:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 1:52:47 PM EDT by GabbasaurusRex]
Jesus Christ.

I said the kids I knew that were homeschooled. Did I say all kids? No. Just telling my experience with the one I knew.

And for what it's worth, I went to public high school. I did not learn about buttsex in the second grade or put a condom on a cucumber in 6th grade. In fact, I didn't even have any form of sex education in school. And I still say "yes sir" and "no sir".

So next time, read what I said before you jump on my ass about it. Thanksverymuch.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:53:24 PM EDT
I think the best compromise is private school.

But homeschooling is cheaper, church activities would be a good way to improve the socialization.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:55:10 PM EDT
I have to tell you, I was against it at first for all reasons listed here.

Then, my wife started to study the subject intensely for about a year. She must have read about a hundred books on the topic. She showed me that 1> Schools are "graded" by standardized tests and their MONEY depends upon their success/failure. 2> The standardized tests are written by the text book companies (many are owned by the same parent corporation) who make their money by selling textbooks and curricula to the state. 3> The textbook companies get repeat business selling NEW curricula each year to keep up with the failing standardized test scores. 4> Textbook companies deliberately engineer the standardized tests for student failure so that they can sell even more to the schools.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:55:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 1:58:15 PM EDT by Penguin_101]

+1 Social Skills matter a lot. Oh, it helps to pick a good school district. That is a major selling point in a house. Most people don't get this.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:56:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 1:57:18 PM EDT by Grunteled]

Jesus Christ.

I said the kids I knew that were homeschooled. Did I say all kids? No. Just telling my experience with the one I knew.

And for what it's worth, I went to public high school. I did not learn about buttsex in the second grade or put a condom on a cucumber in 6th grade. In fact, I didn't even have any form of sex education in school.

So next time, read what I said before you jump on my ass about it. Thanksverymuch.

Jesus Christ! I didn't feel I was eating you alive for anything. You have a low "jumping on ass" threshold I guess. It certainly wasn't ment to be an attack on you. I'm not even sure who you are responding to?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:57:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 1:58:44 PM EDT by Daytona955i]

Sgatr15

I think that as their parent, you aren't in the best place to properly judge their social skills.

Who is? I don't know. You could be one of those people that is completely subjective when they look at their children. Unless you oversee their every interaction it would be hard to get a good reading. They could also act completely different when they aren't around for you to observe their social habits.

Just my pennies.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:58:30 PM EDT

Jesus Christ.

And for what it's worth, I went to public high school. I did not learn about buttsex in the second grade or put a condom on a cucumber in 6th grade. In fact, I didn't even have any form of sex education in school.

Jesus Christ! I didn't feel I was eating you alive for anything. You have a low "jumping on ass" threshold I guess. It certainly wasn't ment to be an attack on you. I'm not even sure who you are reponding to?

That wasn't directed at you. You said you weren't flaming me, I didn't get that from you.

I'm sorry, I just fucking hate when people do not thoroughly read my post and jump on my ass for somehing I didn't even say. I post my experience with home schooled kids, and I get flamed by others because it came off that I said they all can't socialize and blah blah blah.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:00:00 PM EDT
If I had kids, I'd do it. I'd need the $$$ and support but I would not subject my kids(if and when that time comes) to the collective hell-hole that public schooling is.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:00:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Daytona955i:

Sgatr15

I think that as their parent, you aren't in the best place to properly judge their social skills.

Who is? I don't know. You could be one of those people that is completely subjective when they look at their children. Unless you oversee their every interaction it would be hard to get a good reading. They could also act completely different when they aren't around for you to observe their social habits.

Just my pennies.

+1

Are your kids going to come home and say that they made no friends and hate school when they know you can't teach them any higher and make you feel guilty? Just my .02.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:01:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Penguin_101:

+1 Social Skills matter a lot.

Whichs 'social Skills' are those?

'Ingore your parents - listen to your friends as they know better'

'Drugs are Cool'

'Homosexuality is Cool - give it a try'

'Piercings /Tattoos / Goth is all Cool'

Yeah these are the social skills I want my kid to have.

Frankly today's youth in public schools are OVER socialized to the point that Peer Groups and Pop Culture are more important than the Family and the values your parents taught you.

Then again George Washington, Abe Lincoln, Winston Churchill, FDR, those guys had real problems with their social skills....
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:02:57 PM EDT

Jesus Christ.

And for what it's worth, I went to public high school. I did not learn about buttsex in the second grade or put a condom on a cucumber in 6th grade. In fact, I didn't even have any form of sex education in school. And I still say "yes sir" and "no sir".

I read every word. Twice. So umm....hmm........what did you say about umm...ass...jumping....on it?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:03:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 2:06:39 PM EDT by Grunteled]

Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ! I didn't feel I was eating you alive for anything. You have a low "jumping on ass" threshold I guess. It certainly wasn't ment to be an attack on you. I'm not even sure who you are reponding to?

That wasn't directed at you. You said you weren't flaming me, I didn't get that from you.

I'm sorry, I just fucking hate when people do not thoroughly read my post and jump on my ass for somehing I didn't even say. I post my experience with home schooled kids, and I get flamed by others because it came off that I said they all can't socialize and blah blah blah.

Sorry too... I just couldn't tell what you were refering too. Carry on.

ETA: I see where it came from....
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:04:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FredM:

Jesus Christ.

I read every word. Twice. So umm....hmm........what did you say about umm...ass...jumping....on it?

Nice try.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:05:42 PM EDT
My kids are very well socialized. However I am a very social person. Even my autistic son behaves very well considering his limitations.

I think it depends upon the parent. Not everyone is cut out to be a homeschooled family.

I did involve my kids in lots of things though - my daughter did every sport available to her as well as church activities, 4H and AKC.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:06:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Forest:

'Drugs are Cool'

Frankly today's youth in public schools are OVER socialized to the point that Peer Groups and Pop Culture are more important than the Family and the values your parents taught you.

Then again George Washington, Abe Lincoln, Winston Churchill, FDR, those guys had real problems with their social skills....

When was the last time you were at a public school? 98% of kids don't talk about these thing. Also, remember the guy in Office Space? Every home schooled kid I have ever seen has been like that (not to say they are all like that, I am just saying what I have seen)
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:09:03 PM EDT
Screw the village.

Educating your children is YOUR responsibility. If your public school does a lousy job, it's YOUR fault for sending them there.

I'm all for it.

And the socialization aspect is another way of saying they didn't learn how to be punks from a bunch of other punks.

If school is the ONLY place your child interacts with other people, your kid needs to get out more.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:11:14 PM EDT
I don't know what you had to bring to school when you were younger, I didn't have to bring much. Have you seen the lists of crap some of these schools REQUIRE children to bring. One of the schools here requires that you send enough supplies for the whole class!?! WTF?!? Don't schools get funding for supplies anymore? They're even requiring them to bring hand sanitizer?!? Who the f**k thinks this crap up. I know my kid needs certain things to make it through school, but all this other crap is stupid, and they have to have it to go to school.
My daughter has to go to public school because she lives with her mom during the school year. She just went into 5th grade at a 5th-12th grade school. If I wasn't already worried about her morals and mentality degrading at a younger age, and her exposure to things, she's already lumped in with the retards (HS students) at 10! Nice! Yeah Alabama! I'll be very lucky if she doesn't end up another knocked up teenager working after school at Wal-Mart.
I know what I was like as a deviant teenager, the stuff I did at school, the stuff I did with girls at school. And that was 15 years ago. Think of how bad it will be in another 5 years. The crap she'll be around.
The school systems are a joke.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:12:08 PM EDT

My wife's experience as well, as a teacher. The people who pulled their kids out of school ended up stifling their kids' learning and social skills. The reason she usually got for the pull-out was that the school kept disciplining their children for no good reason.

Which matches my experiences. All the kids I see who are being "home schooled" have just been pulled out of school because they were getting too many truancy tickets, and the parents were facing having to pay fines or go to school with their kids. So now the kids work at the local pump-n-go during the day, and don't get any education at all.

AFAIK I have never met a successful home-schooled kid. Ever. Maybe they're out there, but they're 1 in 100.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:12:58 PM EDT

Sgtar15

+1.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:13:56 PM EDT

'Drugs are Cool'

Dude.

Social skills; The ability to adapt to new situations, carry on a conversation, make friends, and know how to deal with others emotions. To interact with peers on a level that is adequate and understandable.

Simply, skills that you would need to have in order to interface with others in society.

All those things you listed are more like social stigmas.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:15:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pattymcn:
My kids are very well socialized. However I am a very social person. Even my autistic son behaves very well considering his limitations.

I think it depends upon the parent. Not everyone is cut out to be a homeschooled family.

I did involve my kids in lots of things though - my daughter did every sport available to her as well as church activities, 4H and AKC.

Patty

You have to understand Patty..... Those are outside activities, and to some no social contact outside the confines of the State's brick school buildings are sufficient to produce "properly" socialized kids. They see home school as some religious nut-case with their kid in a basement becoming pastey skinned freaks who wet themselves when confronted with others of their age.

Yes, you have to make sure they get plenty of interaction with others of VARIOUS age levels. You certainly found a good way to do that, but there are plenty who without knowing a thing about your children would insist there is SOMETHING wrong with them that 12 years of public schools would have fixed. That is what irritates me. It's fine to choose otherwise for yourself but I hear the arguement made about 'social skills' with no explanation for the wonders of social grace the public schools pump out too.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:16:53 PM EDT

'Drugs are Cool'

Dude.

Social skills; The ability to adapt to new situations, carry on a conversation, make friends, and know how to deal with others emotions. To interact with peers on a level that is adequate and understandable.

Simply, skills that you would need to have in order to interface with others in society.

Are you kidding?

Ignore you parents is a bigtime theme of many teachers.
Homosexuality is to be embraced. Anyone who doesn't embrace it is a KKKer.
Peircings are just self-expression.

What century are you living in?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:21:02 PM EDT

When was the last time you were at a public school?

Last April.

BTW my wife has treated several of these 'socialized' kids in the Psych ward of the local hospital. Yeah real winners.

Oh I grew up in Public schools, I have an Aunt who is a principal so I'm somewhat familier with the concept.

Also, remember the guy in Office Space?

Nope never seen the movie.

What I can tell from your comments (and others) is they haven't met many Homeschoolers (or at least people they didn't realize were homeschooled). I've met a ton of homeschool kids (very popular in this area) and I can draw generalities from the large base that I do know.

However there are always exceptions. If you've met screwed up Homeschooled kids dollars to donuts their parents are screwed up. You get out what you put in (like anything in life).

And my wife and I put in FAR FAR more than any public school teacher could possibly consider. And I get to leave out all the bullSHIT that goes on and passes for 'public' education.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:22:00 PM EDT
Yep, there are plenty of pluses to homeschooling, however, make sure they get a lot of social experience because they would normally get plenty in school (good and bad from 7am-3pm) and then afterward with their school friends.

I was home schooled and I wish my parents had not followed my wishes to homeschool me. I'm better now, but my youth was hell.

BTW, "school" is one weird ass word.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:22:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By glenn_r:

AFAIK I have never met a successful home-schooled kid. Ever. Maybe they're out there, but they're 1 in 100.

That's bullshit. If your state allows them to work at the Pump-and-Go and never asks any proof of schooling that's their fault. I can't think of a more stiffeling environment than some of the schools my wife as worked at. They spend more time fighting kids to mantain order than they do teaching anything.

Thankfully she found a better district to work in. I'm sure those kids she left at the old school are getting top-notch educating! She always felt bad for the ones that wanted to learn but her time was taken with shit-heads the system dumps back into the teachers laps.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:22:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 3:46:33 PM EDT by Jack19]
One side of my family are cops, the other side are teachers. Here's my advice.

HOME SCHOOL YOUR KIDS!!!!!

If you want your kids to grow up with Judeo-Christian values....HOME SCHOOL, OR PRIVATE SCHOOL, YOUR KIDS.

If you want your kids to grow up thinking they owe the world a living....HOME SCHOOL, OR PRIVATE SCHOOL, YOUR KIDS.

If you want your kids to believe in this country.....HOME SCHOOL , OR PRIVATE SCHOOL, YOUR KIDS.

If you want your kids to grow up with YOUR values....PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOUR KIDS ARE BEING TAUGHT AND WHO IS TEACHING YOUR KIDS. IT BETTER BE YOU OR SOMEONE YOU TRUST!!

If you want your kids to grow up knowing what the GOVERNMENT SCHOOLS want them to know about history, sex, political correctness, the English language, art, and whatever else your kids get taught everyday.........send them to public school. The public schools will make every effort to turn them into the best socalists they can be.

You think I'm kidding....ask my Uncle; who, now retired after having been the superintendant of a dozen school systems all around the US over the past 40 years, NOW travels around the world representing the US STATE DEPARTMENT, spouting all sorts of socialist agenda on the topic of education. Ask my sister-in-law who holds a high school Spanish class captive to her socialist view of the world FOR NINE MONTHS OUT OF THE YEAR.

You think I'm kidding?

Wait 30 years and see where we are.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:23:00 PM EDT

'Drugs are Cool'

Dude.

And those are the 'skills' being taught in today's public schools.

All the homschoolers I know and deal with on a daily basis meet and exceed your definition.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:24:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By deej86:

Sgtar15

+1.

+2 some folks might say that keeping your kid home so you can fill his head with creationism and other drivel is indoctrination and abuse.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:25:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

'Drugs are Cool'

Dude.

Are you kidding?

Ignore you parents is a bigtime theme of many teachers.
Homosexuality is to be embraced. Anyone who doesn't embrace it is a KKKer.
Peircings are just self-expression.

What century are you living in?

Are you kidding?

You think kids listen to teachers?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:26:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By glenn_r:

That's bullshit. If your state allows them to work at the Pump-and-Go and never asks any proof of schooling that's their fault.

Well, bullshit back at ya!

Wisconsin is a big believer in parent's rights, which homeschooling parents should just love. So parents sign a form saying they're home-schooling their kids, and that's largely the end of it. Just the way it should be, right?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:29:29 PM EDT
I was homeschooled from kindergarden until I graduated highschool.

I am now a Junior in Mechanical engineering with a 3.5 GPA on scholarship to the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

If you can devote the time and effort to it, I think there is no better way to teach your kids.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:31:08 PM EDT

'Drugs are Cool'

Dude.

All the homschoolers I know and deal with on a daily basis meet and exceed your definition.

How can you prove that they are being taught? Even STL schools don't do what you claim. Most of the time they get their drug ideas from adults outside of school and they are bringing them in. If illeagl things were being taught then why has no one sued the district, put the teachers in jail, cut public funding? If it is happening, which it may be, but not everwere it is being claimed then why are you not doing anything about it? One call to the police and you would clear out a whole school of jailbirds.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:32:49 PM EDT

'Drugs are Cool'

When was the last time you were at a public school? 98% of kids don't talk about these thing. Also, remember the guy in Office Space? Every home schooled kid I have ever seen has been like that (not to say they are all like that, I am just saying what I have seen)

Sometime's it depends on the kids or the parents. My wife's aunt's family, home schooled kids, has one that's independent and social, the others are social retards. My wife's brother and sister that were home schooled are social, independent, and productive people (although a little socially scewed with the fundamental baptist upbringing). The sister right under her that graduated public school, social retard. Both moms are sisters, and weird social hermits, and fundamental baptists. Dad's are both bible blowhards.

I agree with Forest on the social skills I'm seeing kids learn in public schools. Maybe not in some areas, but in most areas, that's the crap they're learning. Maybe not from the school sometimes, but you can bet they are learning it from their friends. Go out anywhere and listen to what kids talk about when their parents are gone, you'll here it. I've heard it from kids in church youth groups.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:34:26 PM EDT

'Drugs are Cool'

Dude.

Bullshit.

You're blaming the public schools for what is actually caused by bad parenting.

As someone who has actually been in high school in this decade, the majority of students are well adjusted and highly capable of being successful. The ones that were dumbasses came from broken homes with alcoholic/addict parents that did nothing with them or for them. Sometimes not even feed them. Either that or their parents worked 60 hours a week a piece and couldn't look after them while they made friends with the addicts kids.

One of my best friends raised all of his younger siblings by himself while his parents were killing themselves with drugs, he worked a job everyday after school and was a solid A/B student. He got a full ride for biochemical engineering.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:34:44 PM EDT
It seems like the parents most likely to home school their kids are the least suited to do so.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:35:10 PM EDT
Bieng a junior in High School right now, I can say that I have nver seen a kid that goes to my school who used to be homeschooled that had good social skills to start out with. They learn social things really fast, but they never learn enough to be like everyone else. Yes, I go to public school. No, I don't learn a whole lot, but I do what the teacher wants and I learn what I want to learn on my own. Plus, I think bieng socially active is good for you. If you don't want your kid to become indoctrinated, then don't let him. Go ahead, say what you want about my above post.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top