Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2006 7:50:14 AM EDT
A couple houses I'm looking at, one in particular has electric baseboard heating.

It's a nice house, the only thing that has me concerned is the heating.

I've heard that electric baseboards are expensive to operate.

I'd like some feedback on anyone who knows for sure and if there is any conversion to another mode that will be more efficient and not too costly to install.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:03:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Seriously, biggest factor is your electric rate.  Some areas of the country, very inexpensive, others, you'd want to stay away from with a 10' poll.

Since it looks like you live in Colorado, chances are you may have some long cold winters.  I'd probably look at something else for heating (depending on the electri rates), perhaps a wall furnace or indirect vent/direct vent/vent free heater that you could use with either propane or natural gas, depending on whats avaialbe to you.  Keep in mind, those fuels are not that cheap as well.

May I suggest you ask to have access to last years heating bills?
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:04:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
...May I suggest you ask to have access to last years heating bills?

already asked for them (this morning)
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:05:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I rented a house many years ago that had base board electric heat.

In MN the cost was a killer.

If you really are set on the house you could try adding a high efficiency
gas heater that vents out the wall to suppliment the electric.

02$  GM
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:11:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I had an old house in MT. The baseboard heat kept you warm no problem they are $$$
Forced air of course.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:12:17 AM EDT
[#6]
My house has electric baseboards.  One advantage is you can heat the house in zones, turning down (or off) the heat in seldom used areas. As I live alone, this saves me a bunch of money. Also, this type of heat is immediate - you can warm up a room in just a few minutes. The big question is what are the electric rates in your area.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:26:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you really are set on the house you could try adding a high efficiency
gas heater that vents out the wall to suppliment the electric.

+1

The method of heating is an important buying factor,
however, if the deal is right on the house, it's definitely not a deal breaker.

I agree with the location comments, one area near me has a contract with the electricity co.  I guess a land use 100yr agreement or something. Anyways, everything in that surrounding area, from cooking to heating, is done with electric. Dirt cheap.

I have an old gas furnace and hot water baseboards. Its fucking expensive to keep this house at 60* when temps hit 0*   Combine that with hot water (laundry/shower) and the stove and oven... this adds up.  

Electricity is cheaper here. Therefore I have all kinds of options to cover the cooking and heating aspect.  I have an oil filled space heater which works great, and I don't feel it on my bill. My furnace hardly runs.

I also ran AC alot this past summer, and a dehumidifier full time. My point here is that, it seems appliance efficiency has really come a long way, as back in the day, AC alone would double the monthly bill. Look into a new furnace, maybe a modern unit will make a huge difference. I never actually heard of electric baseboards, but I'm guessing it has to have a main unit.

As far as whole house heating is concerned, I'd look at pellet stoves.

My plan for buying a house includes upgrades. The more effort put into increasing the efficiency, the more money you'll save in the long run. Windows, siding, insulation, etc... just eliminating drafts, and covering the windows, goes a long way towards reducing the heating costs.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:22:59 PM EDT
[#8]
bump for the late nite guys.  (I am putting a bid on another house, but if that doesn't go through, I may go with this one.....maybe)
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top