Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2011 4:38:11 PM EDT
My home dryer vent (outside vent) is almost on the ground.  I was wondering if there is something out there to raise it off the ground without being too bulky or stick out too far?  Its a standard 4" pvc pipe and I went to Lowes and Home Depot but couldn't find anything.  Does anybody have any ideas?

Here is a pic of the vent.

Link Posted: 9/21/2011 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Raising it will require another hole through the wall and the existing hole patched. Is that something you want to do?

If it was mine, I would either dig a shallow hole directly under to ease venting or turn it 90 degrees so that it vents to the side.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't turn it to the side. Water will get into it.. Do you have a full basement ?
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Don't turn it to the side. Water will get into it.. Do you have a full basement ?

I don't have a basement, its a concrete slab.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Raising it will require another hole through the wall and the existing hole patched. Is that something you want to do?

If it was mine, I would either dig a shallow hole directly under to ease venting or turn it 90 degrees so that it vents to the side.

turning the vent to the side could cause water to come in.

Best bet would be to simply plug the existing hole and put a new one in higher up.
Link Posted: 9/22/2011 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#6]
You could do this type but my concern would be snow blocking it. I'm in the North East but snow may not be a concern near you. Should cost you under $10 at your local big box home improvement center.

Link Posted: 9/22/2011 11:50:09 PM EDT
[#7]
look at the pic, he doesn't have much room to work with. I think digging a shallow trench might work. Or reroute the entire exhaust line to a different part of the wall, but why? OP is there a problem with the vent itself, like clogging? I think I would dig and line the trench with gravel or even pour concrete. If you just don't like the look of it and there is no real problem, I'd leave it be.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 4:03:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I would go with a multi louver exhaust like the one a few posts up and put something like this to keep rodents out.

Just make sure you clean out the lint from the guard as they do collect lint.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 6:03:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#10]

This would be your most efficient option.  If you really want to put it higher, get this and wait until next year.  Although I'm sure you'll be more then happy with this.

Link Posted: 9/23/2011 2:49:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My home dryer vent (outside vent) is almost on the ground.  I was wondering if there is something out there to raise it off the ground without being too bulky or stick out too far? Its a standard 4" pvc pipe and I went to Lowes and Home Depot but couldn't find anything.  Does anybody have any ideas?

Here is a pic of the vent.

http://i54.tinypic.com/72dbet.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/1r5jyw.jpg

Your Dryer vent pipe is PVC???????????

J-
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#12]

I think this might be a good option.  The reason why i want to raise it off the ground is the potential for flooding during a hard rain.  It hasn't of yet, but we havn't got any hard rain yet this year.  I do believe my vent is 4" PVC pipe.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think this might be a good option.  The reason why i want to raise it off the ground is the potential for flooding during a hard rain.  It hasn't of yet, but we havn't got any hard rain yet this year.  I do believe my vent is 4" PVC pipe.

I belive that code is that it can only be PVC if it is run though (as in completety encased in) a concrete slab. I did some quick googling and could not come up with anything that said it was acceptible otherwise.

J-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top