Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2015 10:26:26 PM EDT
Have any of you guys taken the home automation leap? I'm looking at Insteon, I primarily would like motion sense for automatically turn on/off lights in the house. Eventually i'd like to get the window/door alarms integrated for alerts, thermostat, etc.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 10:30:56 PM EDT
[#1]
In for info I guess.  

I bet you could home brew a pretty sweet system with a few raspberry pi's or arduinos.  Throw in a bunch of usb controlled relays, or better- PoE relays.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:20:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been looking at the Smartthing  seems to be a good pretty good platform, and compatible  with a lot of Zwave sensors.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Waiting for HomeKit products to hit the shelves
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:35:34 PM EDT
[#4]
My company does commercial HVAC and building automation.

For home use someone needs to make a kit that's easy to use out of the box. They are working on it and it's getting close.

I mainly just want to control my HVAC from my smart phone. I might get selected to try our new product line and give real world feedback.

I found this commercial pretty funny for a smart thermostat.

A Very Hot Afternoon
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:39:53 PM EDT
[#5]
In for info as well. Are these occupancy sensors smart enough to detect your presence in the room even if you haven't moved? Like sitting on your couch watching TV with a laptop on your lap much like many of us right now?

As for just using a thermostat I was looking into the Honeywell wifi thermostat
http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/Products/Thermostats/7-Day-Programmable/Wi-Fi+Smart+Thermostat.htm
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:43:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In for info as well. Are these occupancy sensors smart enough to detect your presence in the room even if you haven't moved? Like sitting on your couch watching TV with a laptop on your lap much like many of us right now?

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/Products/Thermostats/7-Day-Programmable/Wi-Fi+Smart+Thermostat.htm
View Quote

Occupancy sensors send out beams and the space between the beams spreads out the further you get away from them. So, if your sitting area is between the beams it won't detect your movement. However, just rotate the sensor till you're in the beam. Kinda hard to explain without graphics. You can also get dual technology sensors that detect sound.

Look into Ecobee thermostats as well.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:44:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Occupancy sensors send out beams and the space between the beams spreads out the further you get away from them. So, if your sitting area is between the beams it won't detect your movement. However, just rotate the sensor still you're in the beam. Kinda hard to explain without graphics.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Occupancy sensors send out beams and the space between the beams spreads out the further you get away from them. So, if your sitting area is between the beams it won't detect your movement. However, just rotate the sensor still you're in the beam. Kinda hard to explain without graphics.

I think I understand what you mean. Thanks.

eta

That ecobee3 seems awesome. I'm gonna do some more research on it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:50:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the best thermostat and smoke detector and some Phillips hue lights.  That's as far as I've gone.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:55:27 PM EDT
[#9]
The Schneider Electric Wiser Energy Management system is pretty robust as well.

With this system you can actually take control of breakers in your breaker panel if you get their communicating breakers. So, if your smart wiring the lighting in your house it would be really easy to turn them on/off from there. Won't work too well if the lights are on the same circuit as the plugs. Something to keep in mind if you're planning on building a house.

Schneider Electric Wiser Home Management
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:59:09 PM EDT
[#10]
It would be nice to see some standardization from the "off the shelf" products.  Its really obnoxious if you need different apps for your thermostat, porch light, oven, etc.  True centralized control is a long way off, I think.  Or you'll just be stuck with one vendor.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:05:17 AM EDT
[#11]
My only problem is I don't really trust any of the companies doing it.

So for me it would either be home brewed or nothing.  Currently I just have cameras.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:05:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Sensors for lighting have come a long way. Turining off lights is the best way to save money (not so much with LED lighting.)
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:45:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

With this system you can actually take control of breakers in your breaker panel if you get their communicating breakers. So, if your smart wiring the lighting in your house it would be really easy to turn them on/off from there. Won't work too well if the lights are on the same circuit as the plugs. Something to keep in mind if you're planning on building a house.

View Quote

Do you work for Schneider? I work for a competitor...

I don't know anything about home automations though.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:49:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Home automation is a solution looking for a problem.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:53:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Home automation is a solution looking for a problem.
View Quote

I think integrating scheduling, fire monitoring, lighting and security is a no brainer. I don't think that the stuff that I've seen so far is as robust and comprehensive as the stuff large buildings use.

BAS' for small and mid size buildings is the future. I have no doubt of that.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:57:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I am slowly cobbling together a Crestron system for my house.

Thermostat, couple of light switches, gate control, house audio and AV control.

And I am going to try to do something really stupid. Program the thing myself.

Don't try this at home.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:13:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Getvera.com
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:15:56 AM EDT
[#18]
If your interested in a self monitored system, which you can add products to as you go. Check out the Nexia line of home automation products.
www.nexiahome.com
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:18:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I had a full HAI system in my house.  Sucked moving out and leaving it all behind.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:19:06 AM EDT
[#20]
more shit to break.  not for me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:22:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do work for Schneider in one of their building automation divisions. Home automation wise you can do anything you want to. The hardest part is the programming for the hard core home user. I have one of our controllers on my desk right now and with enough relays and sensors can do some pretty cool stuff with. However, I'm not a programmer.

For home automation to take off it needs to get standardized and the user interface and setup needs to be really easy for your average person.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#22]
bumpy
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:20:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a zwave system.  Turns lights on at dusk, off when I want.  I only do lights right now, but you can add many things to it.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#24]

I have a z-wave thermostat, alarm sensors and some light controllers that I can control remotely via my iPhone.

I also have multiple security cameras which I can view on my iPhone using Blue Iris.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:39:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
In for info I guess.  

I bet you could home brew a pretty sweet system with a few raspberry pi's or arduinos.  Throw in a bunch of usb controlled relays, or better- PoE relays.
View Quote

This.

Cheap. Easy. Use the X10 protocol and access all sorts of readily available modules to accomplish whatever you want.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:31:56 AM EDT
[#26]
aqua-bumping
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#27]
another bump
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:51:10 PM EDT
[#28]
someone did a thread on this a few months ago.  several professional installers chimed in with good info.

my search-fu is weak
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 11:54:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a few occupancy sensors in my house, just because I always forget to turn lights on and off.  I also have the outside lights on a timer.  Have yet to dabble in whole-home automation though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top