Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2016 9:49:27 AM EDT
What's the best solution these days?

I don't know much about this stuff. School me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#1]
You're paying for the sign and window stickers.  

Simplisafe doesn't cost as much, but ADT has a more recognizable sign.

The smoke detector linked to a call center that calls the fire dept is a nice feature.  It's probably more useful than the security feature that starts a 5 minute police response when the methhead who kicked your door in to steal a TV is long gone.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:06:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Simplisafe is a wonderful product.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#3]
When I was installing Security/Access Control products I was asked about what is the best money spent and why. My answer stays the same; ADT you're getting a minimal setup for a large layout of money over time. They recoup the install/materials price in the monitoring. We sold monitoring for $9.99 a month but our install price was upfront and usually about $2k for a whole house install (all doors, windows, smoke/CO detection) vs ADTs free install for two doors and two motions.

A $200 dialer that calls the police/911 with a recorded voice message does the same thing paying a monitoring fee does as long as your local dispatch call center has a format that jives with your dialer. If not, $9.99 for basic monitoring works just fine.

Almost all home systems are on the same architecture like ADT/TYCO and Honeywell products unless they're addressable or wireless systems, and then they're still very similar.

Honestly don't know much about the Simplisafe but see it coming up often. I will say that I don't trust wireless life safety/security systems like a wired system  because I've seen the field issues some of them have had for customers, including high end products.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're paying for the sign and window stickers.  

Simplisafe doesn't cost as much, but ADT has a more recognizable sign.

The smoke detector linked to a call center that calls the fire dept is a nice feature.  It's probably more useful than the security feature that starts a 5 minute police response when the methhead who kicked your door in to steal a TV is long gone.  
View Quote

I probably wouldn't even post the signage because I wouldn't want people to know what flavor of system I have.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I have and like Simplisafe.

Know that there were some concerns that the messages sent via the base unit are unencrypted and someone could hack it. Obviously this is far beyond the average criminal, but it is a possibility. Hopefully, they find a way to correct this or my next system will be through someone else.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:01:21 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, are you interested in DIY?

There's a bunch of options out there that can save you money (both install and monitoring) if you feel like putting in some work yourself.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I use frontpoint, and it's GTG.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Build it yourself.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm happy with Alarm Grid.  

Order the sensors and alarm brain and set it up yourself.  It's easy.  You don't need a couple burger flippers in your house becoming intimately familiar with the contents and security system.

$25/mo

Control with phone app

E-mail or text alerts

Monitored via internet and/or cellular

No contract

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I had our home prewired back in '93 when we built it.  I paid about $1K for installation and they locked in monitoring at $15 per month forever.  It was installed by a local franchise of Dial One and they wired every door and window that was accessible without a ladder.  Years later, it was suggested that I upgrade our system for some reason and they did it for free, but changed our monthly fee.  Then, I got rid of our landline and hooked up to Time Warner's phone system.  That lasted less than a week because of false alarms at 3am when the system didn't see a dial tone.  Then, we upgraded to a cellular connection and the monthly fee went up again another $15 but that did cover the cell connection and the cost of the device.  I'm now up to $42 per month. I have wireless capability so I can add wireless sensors, it has a keyfob (not that I use it) and the ability to check, arm and disarm the system by an app on my phone.  All things considered, I'm happy with the setup and and the service.  I like knowing that things are secure considering my investment in the hobby that brought me to this site.

ETA:  I don't know if this really means anything, but the system is monitored locally.  They sort of pitch this as an added benefit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I got simplisafe after I moved to CO last year. In IA, i doubt my doors were locked more than half the time i was away in the 5 years I owned a house there. But there are far fewer assholes in that part of the country.

I did some homework and went with simplisafe for the cost. New ADT installs in my area are wireless, just like mine. Is it hackable? sure. Also, someone with enough skills and time can build a bluetooth jammer and just walk in, defeating all your sensors. Someone with the skills to do either isnt kicking my door down for my TV and watch collection.

Seems every house in CO has a security system sticker on the window, and i didnt put mine up. I think a lot of people just buy the stickers or have an unmonitored "advanced doorbell". I got the extra alarm, and while the police response does take at minimum the time for you to not answer your phone to even get started, the alarm is 30 seconds after entry and its LOUD.  A couple visible foscams in the front and rear windows and the thought is I look just a little riskier than my neighbors.

I use the $25 or $29 (cant recall) a month advanced monitoring. Being able to arm or disarm, see the status, who went in and out, etc from my phone or any PC is worth it. I upgraded when we went on vacation and had friends looking in on the pets, and it was a good bit of peace of mind for Mrs Flake to know how frequently they were getting fed, etc. Also nice to see the house temp whenever to know your heat isnt out.

It also integrates with Nest thermostats (dont have one) and supposedly, cameras are on the way, but have been promised for years now.

I'd reccomend it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Know that there were some concerns that the messages sent via the base unit are unencrypted and someone could hack it. Obviously this is far beyond the average criminal, but it is a possibility. Hopefully, they find a way to correct this or my next system will be through someone else.
View Quote

I have the same concerns over wifi camera systems in homes, but like you said, it'll be fairly intelligent minds trying to hack those systems and most criminals do not fall into that category.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#13]
What's a good DIY kit, self-monitored, with video ?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Order the sensors and alarm brain and set it up yourself.  It's easy.  You don't need a couple burger flippers in your house becoming intimately familiar with the contents and security system.
View Quote

This was also big for me. I'm a DIY'er to the core, i hate paying for someone to do something i can do, likely better.

But given the two reps that came to my house from ADT and something else, I didnt want them or anyone they would hire knowing the ins and outs of what I owned, how the system was wired, and when i wasnt there. Actually, after the second (25ish year old guy, shady looking mofo at that) sat in my driveway in his brand new C class benz for 10 minutes before ringing the doorbell and then launching in to how frequent door kick ins were, I decided that 1-yes,i wanted a system, and 2-i didnt want him to know about it. I even conjured together this tinfoil idea that sales reps like this might go give their pitch, get shut down, wait an amount of time and then sick their buddies on your house where he conveniently left his card a few weeks before. /tinfoil.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:29:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I went with a DIY approach, because ADT's fees add up to substantial sums of money over time, and because SimpliSafe doesn't encrypt communications, sensors are bulky, and changing batteries gets old.

Right now, I'm using two hardwired PIR/microwave motion detectors and magnetic switches at all entry doors. I figure that comprises the most essential portions of a system.

I plan to add wireless sensors for various windows in the next couple months to add an additional layer of security for when people are home and also another sensor and confirmation in the event of a break in. Reading the documentation with the stuff I have indicates that it will detect RF jamming attempts and presumably will alert.

Eventually, I'll add sensors to the detached garage and include smoke, heat, and/or CO detectors too.  

Self monitoring with remote arm/disarm and status info is $10/mo through AlarmGrid.com and central station monitoring starts about $20/month with similar features.  

At this point, I've got about $450 into it. All the wireless sensors could add another $200, garage expansion maybe $75 more, and smoke detectors (2) maybe another $100-150 or so?  There's a lot of different options and you can spend as much or as little as you like.

I'm a fan of Internet based monitoring because disconnecting a phone line to prevent a system from dialing out is so super difficult.  Most internet based services look for a regular heartbeat and notify you if it dropped off, and you can also add a cellular backup/rollover unit if you're particularly paranoid or have frequent outages.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Simplisafe
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#17]
i did the diy at my house. it was not too hard, just time consuming.  i have every area monitored either with a motion or contact. your not getting in without setting off the alarm. i installed the internet interface a few months back and can turn on and off from my phone.

wired take some skill and tools to do right.  wireless is easier, but to me not a secure as wired.

monitored or not thats up to you. be aware that residential alarm calls are not a high priority for the police.  most likely they will show up just for cleanup.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Simplisafe
View Quote

When you coming to visit?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you talking about cellular or web traffic? What do the messages consist of?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Both, actually, depending.

There is an app for your phone, and the base station sends messages back and forth to a cloud based server.

Your phone will send and receive messages to the server over wifi or cell, depending on where you are.

Your base station may use cellular or internet, but it still communicates using wireless with the sensors.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

There is an app for your phone, and the base station sends messages back and forth to a cloud based server.

Your phone will send and receive messages to the server over wifi or cell, depending on where you are.

Your base station may use cellular or internet, but it still communicates using wireless with the sensors.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In your professional opinion, would you consider this to be a major vulnerability?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:24:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Im a DIY - got an elk m1 gold and rs422 expansion for a wireless setup.  dsc/ge/cant remember which.  monitoring is like 99/year

Quoted:
When I was installing Security/Access Control products I was asked about what is the best money spent and why. My answer stays the same; ADT you're getting a minimal setup for a large layout of money over time. They recoup the install/materials price in the monitoring. We sold monitoring for $9.99 a month but our install price was upfront and usually about $2k for a whole house install (all doors, windows, smoke/CO detection) vs ADTs free install for two doors and two motions.

A $200 dialer that calls the police/911 with a recorded voice message does the same thing paying a monitoring fee does as long as your local dispatch call center has a format that jives with your dialer. If not, $9.99 for basic monitoring works just fine.

Almost all home systems are on the same architecture like ADT/TYCO and Honeywell products unless they're addressable or wireless systems, and then they're still very similar.

Honestly don't know much about the Simplisafe but see it coming up often. I will say that I don't trust wireless life safety/security systems like a wired system  because I've seen the field issues some of them have had for customers, including high end products.
View Quote

how did you wire up doors/windows in a home after it was all built, and make it not look like crap?

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
In your professional opinion, would you consider this to be a major vulnerability?
View Quote

No sir.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Pick your system, then go online and buy a secuirty system sign for a different system. That way they know you have a system but don't know which system.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:32:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I use frontpoint, and it's GTG.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Simplisafe

Pick a day other than a Wednesday.  If I have a few day's notice I can usually make it work.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Build it yourself.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Honeywell LYNX 7000 with a DIY installation, combined with five ARLO cameras.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#29]
I use Lifeshield from DirecTV.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Moat with crocodiles.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Im a DIY - got an elk m1 gold and rs422 expansion for a wireless setup.  dsc/ge/cant remember which.  monitoring is like 99/year

how did you wire up doors/windows in a home after it was all built, and make it not look like crap?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends on location. If I could get below the floor or above the ceiling I chased the door frame/wall into whatever accessible space I had available. They sell 6' long flexible 3/8" and 1/2" drill bits at Lowe's/Home Depot that are made to do this. If you're in an older house (pre 1970s) it may not be possible to hide the wiring, but it mostly delends on how the house is constructed.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:54:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Pick a day other than a Wednesday.  If I have a few day's notice I can usually make it work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Simplisafe

Sunday afternoon?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

$25/mo

Control with phone app

E-mail or text alerts

Monitored via internet and/or cellular

No contract

View Quote

I've never flipped burgers, but I've worked in houses worth millions of dollars and around furniture and art that the owner shelled out millions of dollars for. Your awe inspiring collection of beanie babies really doesn't interest me that much.

ADT sucks. Find a local security company to do an alarm system. Better customer service, and the equipment won't be locked down so if you decide to change down the road you don't have to pay to replace the alarm panel and whatnot.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Practice helps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top