Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/1/2005 6:49:59 PM EDT
Home Inventory…. Ok I’m looking for some tips and tricks for doing a home inventory. I have a very old software package (Runs on DOS) that I have all my stuff entered (most anyway), and I video the home about once a year. I have a copy at home and in the safety deposit box.

I would like to update my software to something newer. What is good, easy, and cheap? (if this is possible). Any good freeware out there? Or should I just teach myself Access or mySQL and make my own database. I’m thinking about encrypting this database, and taking digital pictures and storing it on my ISP host.

Looking for any suggestions? What do you all do?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:55:35 PM EDT
Do a Google on home inventory lists, and use the best one you can find. Then, create your own in Excel and save it to a web-based site that will be safe in a catastrophic event. The list will remind you of items you may not have thought about, and you'll save money on the software by doing your own.

Just an idea....

HH
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:59:38 PM EDT
Excel spreadsheet, then email it to myself.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:18:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/1/2005 7:19:02 PM EDT by Robbie]
+1 on Excel or another spreadsheet.

A spreadsheet such as Excel is great because future software will likely read that format and save you retyping it sometime in the future. You could also export spreadsheet information to another type of software pretty easily. Excel is also very flexible so that you can list things any way you want to. You could also paste in pictures if you wanted. There's even more such as having it calculating things for you (like total value), but mostly, just simply having the grid format to type in makes it very easy to use. Excel comes with Microsoft Office which can be pricey....a few hundred dollars unless you're a student, then maybe $150 or so.

A free alternative to Microsoft's Excel is Open Office. It'll do everything that the average person does with Excel (or Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, etc.) and the files are interchangable between Open Office and the Microsoft stuff.

There's dedicated inventory software out there. They may not be compatible with any other type of software though. Bob's Inventory Software may only be usable with future software from Bob. Some of the software is pretty good though and some of it is pricey.

A low-cost alternative would be Intuit's Quicken. Quicken is financial software that's designed to work with your checking accounts, credit card accounts, investments, etc. But it also comes with it's own inventory module that's pretty good. Here's a screenshot of Quicken's inventory tool:

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:23:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:38:40 PM EDT
This is what I use. You can rename the fields, add pictures, and it's free.

http://www.contactplus.com/products/freestuff/mystuff.htm
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:10:36 AM EDT
I’ve got one in Access.

That said, sometimes I think simply listing all the info in a text file with columns would work nearly as well.

It’s not like I have massive amounts of info that I need to sort different ways and compute totals from and such.
Top Top