Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2006 2:14:14 PM EDT
Anyone ever buy a shed from Home Depot?

I'm in the market for a new shed... was checking some out there. They have one that isn't made of wood (maybe plastic and aluminum?) for around $800... bigger than what I have and better... mainly because mine is pretty well rotted apart.

Alternatives to Home Depot?

We're not planning on stayin around longer than 3+ years, so I can't see going too crazy one one.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to the junkyard and buy an old van. Not only will it be an eco-friendly use of a retired vehicle, it will also piss off your neighbors!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:17:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag.

Gonna need one myself here in a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Anyone ever buy a shed from Home Depot?

I'm in the market for a new shed... was checking some out there. They have one that isn't made of wood (maybe plastic and aluminum?) for around $800... bigger than what I have and better... mainly because mine is pretty well rotted apart.

Alternatives to Home Depot?

We're not planning on stayin around longer than 3+ years, so I can't see going too crazy one one.

There is a place (or used to be) there on route 5/301 and Brandywine Rd that used to make them in just about any shape and material you asked.  Might be worth checking out.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#4]
we have built a number of 10' x 12' sheds from metal siding and roof , to a double walled cedar siding with a sliding barn door with lofts and high windows for light; you can pick up an enormous amount of material from building sites.  I don't think any of our sheds cost over $300.  When we build a 22'x 25' barn with stalls and loft and chicken coup, it was under $400. and that was primarily for tar paper , nails and hardware.  It's more fun to do it yourself.  

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Build your own, piece of cake.  My second one was 12x16.  I needed a slab poured for a patio, and had one poured for a shed at the same time.  From start to roofed and drinking beer in 3 days at a slow pace.  

I'll post pics.  My taggage.  Maybe tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Whoop out the MIG welder and get after it!  That's about how much I spent to build my 8' x 16' Storasaurus Rex.  And it's strong enough to be winched onto a flatbed trailer and transported or dragged across rough terrain.

Clicky for big pictures:
-- --
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Just put Home Depots Big Max Shed together this past weekend for my parents. Simple and took about 2 hrs total. Not what I would call very sturdy. Plastic floor, plastic roof and walls. Snaps together. I think it is 8 by 10.

I would rather pay alittle more and get a solid shed that will last.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:59:35 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not too terribly handy with a saw so I seriously doubt if I started out to build a shed that wasn't a "Slot A to Tab B" kind of job I would even end up with a shed... it's be mor elike Homer Simpson building a pool...

Is a concrete foundation something to seriously consider or isn't it that important? The shed I have right now doesn't have a foundation...
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:03:59 AM EDT
[#9]
There's a shed dealer near my brother's house in central NY that imports them from the Pennsylvania Amish country. They don't cost much more than Home Depot's, and they're practically works of art. Maybe see if you can find something similar. Buy a "shed" that'll last a hundred years instead of a particle-board embarrassment.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:08:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Home Depot Sheds...  

I didn't even know Home Depot had hair.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 5:15:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I built two sheds.  It's much cheaper to build it yourself.  I read a book called Build a Shed

Cost me about a thousand to build 10x16.  I used 3D shingles for roofing.  But I roofed another  shed 12x16 with metal.  It was much easier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top