Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2006 4:22:19 PM EDT
Which one is best for home improvement?

I used to go to the orange box, but man customer service is as bad as gun shops nowadays! Won't be long before they start on thier gunshop special farces stories!

How is the other place?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer Lowe's

HH
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:24:41 PM EDT
[#2]
i like lowes also
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Lowes is better.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I go to the one that is closest to the job , or on the way.

When given the choice , I prefer HD.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Lowe's, although sometimes Home Depot has a better selection.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:26:55 PM EDT
[#6]
either one is 100 times beter than Menards. Menards has thousands of employees and no workers
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I hate Home Depot.  Their stores are never stocked well, many of them have so much shit stacked in their narrow aisles that you can't even navigate them, and I usually can't find what I need.  Back home in Texas, there was usually a Lowes nearby, but now that I live in CT, I'm willing to drive the extra 15 minutes for Lowes and skip the HD ordeal altogether.  I find what I'm looking for and it's a more pleasant experience.

The only thing HD has going for it is more locations.  HD blows.

[Edit:  For what (little) it's worth, a Home Depot employee in San Antonio recently told me that HD employees are trained to avoid unnecessary customer contact and to keep merchandise flowing out the door, while Lowes' employees are trained to engage and assist the customer.]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Lowes always seems more empty around here, which is good except when you want to find help. HD is always easier to find help in. Pricewise they're about equal.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Both have really, really shitty customer service around here. They have about 5 guys on the floor, none of whom are not busy or work in the department(s) you need.

Last time I went to Lowe's, it took me 30 minutes, no shitting you, to find a guy that could answer me if one of those razor-blade-plier-type PVC cutters could cut 1.5"ID schedule 40 PVC. He said it could. It couldn't. Last time I went to Home Depot, I had to ask 3 guys where I could find some welding gloves. None of them knew where any of the welding equipment was. Sheesh.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:33:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Lowes

Because Tony Stewart is a BITCH
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Between the two, around here Lowes only has signs in English.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:50:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Lowes
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Lowes
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:53:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm going with the consensus.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:54:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I prefer Lowes.   I think HD has become victim to over-expansion.  
There does not seem to be any "personal interest" feeling from HD employees in several years.  

And they are now going to build and operate some mini-mart type stores at some of their locations.  

Just wait, in a few years, you will begin to see the same type of condemnation of them as you now see of Wally's world.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#17]
For good lumber I'd say Lowes hands down.  You can spend a weekend trying to find decent 2x4s picking thru the garbage at Home Depot.  For other things I like the Depot.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:56:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Neither, your local hardware store that actually provides service.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Yup, True Value here has great knowledgeable workers.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I will not ever do business with Lowes again.  After the way they did me on an appliance they can pound sand.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd say go with Lowes. They also don't suck up to filthy illegals either like HD does.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I used to be strictly HD.  But I now go to church with NASCAR driver Jimmy Johnson's grandmother.  Since Lowe's sponsors JJ, grandma has used her influence to get Lowe's to provide massive amounts of building material for our local Habitat for Humanity projects, which our church supports bigtime.

She's a neat 82-year-old lady and I really appreciate her moxie.  So when she told me to support Lowe's, I told her I would.  It's always a good idea to keep the old ladies happy.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:50:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Lowes..HD can fucking rot...cock sucking, motherfuckering asshole licking, shitbags.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:51:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I go to Lowes 'cause the employees there act like they're actually happy to be alive.

Plus the Home Dee-pots around here are dumps.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#25]
"F" Home Depot in the "A".

Lowe's is better stocked, neat and plenty of room as well as light!!!!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:57:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:58:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Lowes..HD can fucking rot...cock sucking, motherfuckering asshole licking, shitbags.

Well, that would be a nice way of putting it.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
either one is 100 times beter than Menards. Menards has thousands of employees and no workers

+1
Damn, I hate having to pick my way through aisles of BBQ sauce, beef jerky, deer stands ,dvd's and ceramic frogs just to find a box of dryall screws and a bucket of mud.
I'll drive an extra 5 miles to go to Lowes any day of the week.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#29]
If you absolutely know your stuff and can spend the time in HD to locate what you are looking for, then HD.

If you are like me and can barely operate a saw and don't want to spend time crawling over 500 square acres looking for a part, then Lowes is your best bet in my opinion because Diane Feinstine will turn Republican before the employees at HD will help you.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:02:01 PM EDT
[#30]
I used to have just one Home Depot in my area and now I have two. The customer service in the first store has increased substantially since the second store opened.

We now have a Lowes and both Home Depots have stepped up the quality of service and blows Lowes away. I've had nothing but bad experiences from Lowes. I greatly preferred them when they were Eagle Hardware. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:10:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Really depends on the store.

I have 4 Home depots in a 10 mile radius to choose from and 2 Lowes.

2 of the Depots have excellent service in Electrical.  The other 2 woudn't know what you meant by continuality if you gave them a dictionary.  

None of them have any plumbing help.

Both lowes have excellent plubming help but no one knows what the fuck they're doing in electrical.

When it comes down to brunt choice and prices, Lowes will win hands down.  If I need a specific item, then I go to the store where they actually have a live body who knows WTF they are doing.

Also, does anyone else find the Home Depot stores kinda poorly illuminated?  I can see lots of crap in Lowes, but it's like I need a flashlight in HD to find stuff.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#32]
around here, Lowes has the better stores...But the HD gave me a line of credit when i was coming out of a divorce and my credit was crap...even though the HD looks like a swap meet at times.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#33]
"How many people work here?"

"About half....."

Here, True Value sucks, nearest HD is a pigsty but the nearest Lowes is 100 miles.

SRM
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Lowe's sucks!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#35]
I'll take McClendon's any day of the week over those two for parts, customer service and just plain old knowledgable staff in their departments. They can't compete price wise with them but they make up for it IMO.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#36]
niether.  i shop at 84 lumber, a local luber yard.  prices on wood is a bit more, but you pay for the fact that there are people who know what they are doing at 84 lumber
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#37]
I became a HD junkie when living in SW Fla about 12 years ago, and was so happy when they opened one a mile from my home around 1995.  Today I have to take my f#$$ing Surefire with me if I need electrical parts because half the ceiling lights haven't worked for months.  I usually try Lowe's first.  In addition, better chance finding a cashier at Lowe's.  Shame.  That hotshot CEO of HD really did a number on it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#38]
I go to Lowes, they are across the street from each other.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:57:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Complaining to the store manager on duty about inventory or staff issues at HD will get you......................absolutely nowhere.  Writing HD a letter about your poor experience will get you............absolutely nowhere.

/and I am a stock holder (at least as long as it is still performing)

What I hate the most is watching a new store degrade.  I have seen it in several instances.  The new store has new and helpful, freshly trained staff and perfect stock.  It rapidly degrades to mixed and missing inventory and the staff learns how to hide and skate.  They turn a blind eye to you unless you obviously have something in your hands and are walking to the checkout.  Then at least three cockbreath assholes will ask you if you need help.  If ever there were a time to draw down......

Does Lowes actually have staff?  I have never seen anybody willing to help.  I just toured our newest store.  They have those buttons to push to activate the intercom for customer assistance, but at the rate they were going off, I would ask again, do they have floor staff????

Society's deadly downward spiral...........
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

And cost twice as much.

I have yet to find one store that has everything. One will have one good thing, another something else. It's so frustrating.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top