Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2003 5:15:13 AM EDT
I haven't been in the market for a new system in years.  I'm changing because my current one takes up entirely too much room, and I've got a new entertainment center where space is a premium.  Mine is a late 80's component system, where even the tuner is a separate non-amped component (it also has the obligatory giant Cerwin Vegas).  My amp is also separate from the 'component selector', and is fed by a preamp out.

In looking at the new stuff, just about everyone has omitted the equalizer!  What's the deal!?  I thought that the EQ was now integrated into the Tuner/Amp a digital menu item, but all they have is a simple bass and treble setting.  Additionally, they don't even have a preamp out jack, and thus are intended to feed the speakers directly and you can't even put an EQ in the stream.  This is even true of the higher end ones.  I thought that the EQ was a valuable addition, and I want one.  Why the ommission?  Do not enough people demand one, or is there an alternative VALID reason?  Am I looking to cheap still?

Frustrating...

Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:19:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Most folks F'up their sound more using an EQ.

Frankly, I don't think it's that much of a loss.

You can still buy EQ's if you want.

Many receivers offer built-in, pre-programmed EQ's - AMPITHEATER, STADIUM, JAZZ CLUB, etc.....
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:30:00 AM EDT
[#2]
If you want to use an EQ and are looking for a receiver over components, you can still find receivers with "pre-out/main-in". They cost more though.

These receivers usually have little "loops" between the "out" and the "in" RCA connections. Just unplug the loops and you're good to go.

If you want to do the home theater thing, A company called AudioControl(www.audiocontrol.com) has home theater specific equalizers.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:44:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Almost all the low to moderate priced receivers are aimed squarely at the home theater market.  With almost all audio is being mastered in THX certified studios the typical Joe Six-pack is just going to fuck up a lot of good sound by tweaking with all the pretty colored sliders [rolleyes] .

I’m sure a lot of yahoos don’t even bother to set up a system properly even if it includes a test tone generator and mic.  They’re even LESS likely to get a DVD test/setup disc and a sound meter.  Plug it in, turn it on and “Gee, golly listen to the sound coming from behind us too” is enough to make a lot of buyers happy. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:48:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I think part of the reason for the omission is cost. With at least 4 channels of audio to equalize (you probably wouldn't want equalizer on the subwoofer), each with 10+ equalization bands...well, that's a lot of sliding pots! (True, you could do it in software instead, but that doesn't look nearly as impressive).

It's a shame you can't use your existing audio gear as part of the new system. Plenty of gear from the 70's and 80's sounded a heck of a lot better than the average HT stuff you find for sale nowdays.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:50:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Airwolf,
I'd like to argue with your logic....but I can't.  [:)]

The only way to do the job correctly is with a real time analyzer and pink noise. If you try doing it by ear, you're wasting your time.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:05:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Almost all the low to moderate priced receivers are aimed squarely at the home theater market.  
View Quote

Good point, perhaps I'll have to go to a audio specialty store.  I've got little interest in home theater.  I wouldn't 'test' it either, but I know what I like, and do find value in tweaking speakers based on the music, and more importantly, where they are in the room.

Quoted:
It's a shame you can't use your existing audio gear as part of the new system. Plenty of gear from the 70's and 80's sounded a heck of a lot better than the average HT stuff you find for sale nowdays.
View Quote
 If I can't get what I want, I'll use as much of the current as possible.  I'd rather shoehorn the stuff in, than to downgrade the performance of the system.  I likes me music...
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:08:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Airwolf,
I'd like to argue with your logic....but I can't.  [:)]

The only way to do the job correctly is with a real time analyzer and pink noise. If you try doing it by ear, you're wasting your time.
View Quote

You use the analyzer to flatten the response of the room being fed pink noise and sampled with a calibrated microphone. You use your parametric equalizer or tone controls to tweak to taste.

The equalizer isn't needed with today's music as it isn't (music). A simple "too much base" and "way too much base" switch would be all that's needed.

My seperates system dates back to the late 70's and early 80's. The DVD players and DSP are the only nods to the 90's. I want to add four vacuume tube amplifers (Jolida 202A's please next year Santa) but love the old solid state equipment too much to send it to the farm.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:06:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Almost all the low to moderate priced receivers are aimed squarely at the home theater market. With almost all audio is being mastered in THX certified studios the typical Joe Six-pack is just going to fuck up a lot of good sound by tweaking with all the pretty colored sliders  .

I’m sure a lot of yahoos don’t even bother to set up a system properly even if it includes a test tone generator and mic. They’re even LESS likely to get a DVD test/setup disc and a sound meter. Plug it in, turn it on and “Gee, golly listen to the sound coming from behind us too” is enough to make a lot of buyers happy.
View Quote

I don't give a shit what a test setup disc says.  If it doesn't sound good to me where I'm sitting, with the speakers I'm using, the way I have them located, and what I have pushing them it I WANT A FRIKKIN EQ.

- Joe Sixpack
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:13:01 AM EDT
[#9]
The best cure is (and always has been) to buy speakers that sound good in your listening room [i]without[/i] need for EQ. Easier said than done, I know...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top