Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/1/2005 11:17:59 PM EDT
Calling ARFCOM A/C experts. My folks are looking to get Central Air and I wanted to get your opinions on which brand is the best.

Specs:
2000 sqft, 2 story home, 4 bedrooms, already has central forced air heating. Location is SoCal near the beach.

I'm figuring they'll need 2 zones (upstairs and down). Anything else I should make sure we ask?

Thanks,
Shorty
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:24:59 PM EDT

I'm figuring they'll need 2 zones (upstairs and down).

That's expensive. The last quote I saw for an average size house was about $7k for a single zone and $11k for a dual zone. That was for my nephew's house. I talked him instead into buying a couple of $70 window units from Lowe's to use in the two rooms (one on the south side that's not in the shade and the other the bedroom on the second floor) that were warmer than the rest. They're happy with the solution. It saves power since they only run the AC when they need it, and they saved about $3,860. I'm sure it's less efficient, but you can buy an unbelievable amount of power for $4k.z
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:47:12 PM EDT
Thanks for the input.

They are set on a central system, they don't want to deal with window units.

Shorty
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:15:09 AM EDT
Just bringing this back up for the day shift.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:17:40 AM EDT
Do you already have two-zone heating with separate furnaces upstairs and down?

If not, two-zone cooling is out...

—Dan
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 9:51:01 AM EDT
I would contact several different HVAC contractors and get quotes from them. They will each usually have their systems that they prefer. They will also tell you what you need and how much it is. Deal with licensed contractors ONLY. You also may have the choice of gas or electric. Get a quote on both. It usually takes about 15-30 minutes to have someone give you a quote. And remember, if it is not in writing, it ain't shit.
Top Top