Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/29/2005 9:28:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/30/2005 8:43:09 AM EDT by michaelj1978]
My great uncle can install it...

I just need to know where I can buy them and what brands are good and what are crap?

It's a 1 story ranch home 3bd/2ba. About 900 sqft up and 800 down (finished basement)

I live in KC so winter gets down to 10 and summer can run 100 for a few days, mostly upper 80's and humid.

I need the AC/Furnace combo and I also need a new outside fan unit.

Point me in some direction.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:30:10 AM EDT
I recently had local company install a 2.5 ton Rudd inside thingy and outside thingy for $4000
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:35:07 AM EDT
Do your research before you buy..

I have a TROY unit AC + Heat pump that holds 6.5lbs of coolant. It's 4 and half years old and have had to replace the compressor and some of the copper piping due to defective mfg. and leaks respectively. So far I'm out $600 (compressor was replaced under warranty, but I was charged for labor).

I'd go with a different manufacturer than TROY. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but these are my experiences.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:41:12 AM EDT
How much should I expect the AC/Furnace/Outside fan combo to run? I'll be assisting with the removal of the old unit and install of the new with my uncle so labor will be minimal ($500? maybe)
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:43:03 AM EDT
Have you considered a heat pump? Not sure if they work well in your climate, though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:45:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
Have you considered a heat pump? Not sure if they work well in your climate, though.

Heat pump is what I've got. All the guys that worked on my unit (no jokes plz ) all groaned at the sight of a heat pump unit. I live in NW TN. and it gets hotter than hell here...just out of curiosty what are the negatives to owning one of these?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:12:36 AM EDT
I have a Heil 90 plus high efficiency furnace and it’s a total piece of crap! It’s 15 years old. I don’t know what the problem is. If Heil stuff is bad or if the 90 plus units have bugs in them… Whatever money I saved with the 90 plus unit was lost in repair parts. It uses a glow bar igniter. I have replaced the igniter at least 4 times (I keep a spare igniter), replaced the main circuit board, and replaced the exhaust vent fan. I use this furnace as backup heat, I heat my house with a free standing wood stove. My next unit will be a Carrier and I may think real hard about not going the high efficiency route.

I have a American Standard AC unit and haven't had one problem with it...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:13:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By michaelj1978:

I just need to know where I can buy them and what brands are good and what are crap?

It's a 1 story ranch home 3bd/2ba. About 900 sqft up and 800 down (finished basement)

I live in KC so winter gets down to 10 and summer can run 100 for a few days, mostly upper 80's and humid.

Are you planning on putting 2 units on the there?
Do you have Nat Gas there?
How well is it insulated?

We very seldom get below 25*F here where I live so we need a little less heat than you do.
I have a 2-stage Natural Gas furnace that runs on Low Stage 99% of the time to save fuel and give a more consistant temperature.

I'll help in any way I can.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:17:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BigDozer66:

Are you planning on putting 2 units on the there?
Do you have Nat Gas there?
How well is it insulated?

We very seldom get below 25*F here where I live so we need a little less heat than you do.
I have a 2-stage Natural Gas furnace that runs on Low Stage 99% of the time to save fuel and give a more consistant temperature.

I'll help in any way I can.

BigDozer66

No... Only one unit, the basement always stays at least 5-7 degrees cooler than the upstairs.

Yes... We do have natural gas. I believe that's what the current furnace uses.

Home was built in the 60's so it's a stick frame with insulation between the walls. It has vinyl siding and 2 large maple trees that shade %75 of the house the whole day. I also just installed new windows (17 of them) on the house. They are argon filled, double payne and very efficient.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:33:22 AM EDT
What size unit does it have now?

Has it done a good job heating and cooling in the past?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:17:15 AM EDT

BigDozer66

I don't have a clue to the size, the outside fan is about 4.5 feet tall (old style). It has done ok in the past with the old drafty windows. The A/C guy that came and checked on it 2 years ago said it only had a few years left. The blower is shot and the whole unit is 20/30 years old. I just want to get a new one in there before winter hits and while the house is still vacant. My uncle mentioned something about the newer units can have the flue be a PVC pipe and route it through the basement instead of straigh up through the house. That's also going to make a difference because I ripped down some walls, and want to put a kitchen bar/counter where the existing flue is. So having it removed would be a bonus or if we had to just move it over a few feet and hide it behind a load bearing support.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:16:58 AM EDT

BigDozer66

I don't have a clue to the size, the outside fan is about 4.5 feet tall (old style). It has done ok in the past with the old drafty windows. The A/C guy that came and checked on it 2 years ago said it only had a few years left. The blower is shot and the whole unit is 20/30 years old. I just want to get a new one in there before winter hits and while the house is still vacant. My uncle mentioned something about the newer units can have the flue be a PVC pipe and route it through the basement instead of straigh up through the house. That's also going to make a difference because I ripped down some walls, and want to put a kitchen bar/counter where the existing flue is. So having it removed would be a bonus or if we had to just move it over a few feet and hide it behind a load bearing support.

The PVC drain models are the 90%+ AFUE ones.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:42:53 AM EDT

BigDozer66

The PVC drain models are the 90%+ AFUE ones.

BigDozer66

Ok, just had him come over today. I'm back at work now. He can do a 90+% efficiency AC and 3 ton furnace + the outside AC unit, new water heater and everything can go through the PVC through the wall to the backyard and he's going to re route a vent where my sliding glass door went to + a humidifier/dehumidifier for $5,000.

He also has access to a ventless gas fireplace thing. He didn't have the catalog on him but will drop it off later. He said he could put one in for about $500.

He has a crew do all the heavy lifting so I wouldn't need to help.

He should start in less than 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:27:00 AM EDT
Oh, and a new programmable thermostat. The one in there now is an old dial one.
Top Top