Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2005 9:28:31 AM EDT
My great uncle can install it...

I just need to know where I can buy them and what brands are good and what are crap?

It's a 1 story ranch home 3bd/2ba.  About 900 sqft up and 800 down (finished basement)

I live in KC so winter gets down to 10 and summer can run 100 for a few days, mostly upper 80's  and humid.

I need the AC/Furnace combo and I also need a new outside fan unit.

Point me in some direction.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:30:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I recently had local company install a 2.5 ton Rudd inside thingy and outside thingy for $4000
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Do your research before you buy..

I have a TROY unit AC + Heat pump that holds 6.5lbs of coolant.  It's 4 and half years old and have had to replace the compressor and some of the copper piping due to defective mfg. and leaks respectively.  So far I'm out $600 (compressor was replaced under warranty, but I was charged for labor).

I'd go with a different manufacturer than TROY.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but these are my experiences.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#3]
How much should I expect the AC/Furnace/Outside fan combo to run?   I'll be assisting with the removal of the old unit and install of the new with my uncle so labor will be minimal ($500? maybe)  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:43:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Have you considered a heat pump?  Not sure if they work well in your climate, though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:45:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Have you considered a heat pump?  Not sure if they work well in your climate, though.

Heat pump is what I've got.  All the guys that worked on my unit (no jokes plz ) all groaned at the sight of a heat pump unit.  I live in NW TN. and it gets hotter than hell here...just out of curiosty what are the negatives to owning one of these?
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Heil 90 plus high efficiency furnace and it’s a total piece of crap!  It’s 15 years old. I don’t know what the problem is. If Heil stuff is bad or if the 90 plus units have bugs in them… Whatever money I saved with the 90 plus unit was lost in repair parts. It uses a glow bar igniter. I have replaced the igniter at least 4 times (I keep a spare igniter), replaced the main circuit board, and replaced the exhaust vent fan. I use this furnace as backup heat, I heat my house with a free standing wood stove.  My next unit will be a Carrier and I may think real hard about not going the high efficiency route.

I have a American Standard AC unit and haven't had one problem with it...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:13:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I just need to know where I can buy them and what brands are good and what are crap?

It's a 1 story ranch home 3bd/2ba.  About 900 sqft up and 800 down (finished basement)

I live in KC so winter gets down to 10 and summer can run 100 for a few days, mostly upper 80's  and humid.

Are you planning on putting 2 units on the there?
Do you have Nat Gas there?
How well is it insulated?

We very seldom get below 25*F here where I live so we need a little less heat than you do.
I have a 2-stage Natural Gas furnace that runs on Low Stage 99% of the time to save fuel and give a more consistant temperature.

I'll help in any way I can.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you planning on putting 2 units on the there?
Do you have Nat Gas there?
How well is it insulated?

We very seldom get below 25*F here where I live so we need a little less heat than you do.
I have a 2-stage Natural Gas furnace that runs on Low Stage 99% of the time to save fuel and give a more consistant temperature.

I'll help in any way I can.

BigDozer66

No... Only one unit,  the basement always stays at least 5-7 degrees cooler than the upstairs.  

Yes... We do have natural gas.  I believe that's what the current furnace uses.  

Home was built in the 60's so it's a stick frame with insulation between the walls.  It has vinyl siding and 2 large maple trees that shade %75 of the house the whole day.  I also just installed new windows (17 of them) on the house.  They are argon filled, double payne and very efficient.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#9]
What size unit does it have now?

Has it done a good job heating and cooling in the past?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

BigDozer66

I don't have a clue to the size,  the outside fan is about 4.5 feet tall (old style).  It has done ok in the past with the old drafty windows.  The A/C guy that came and checked on it 2 years ago said it only had a few years left.  The blower is shot and the whole unit is 20/30 years old.  I just want to get a new one in there before winter hits and while the house is still vacant.  My uncle mentioned something about the newer units can have the flue be a PVC pipe and route it through the basement instead of straigh up through the house.  That's also going to make a difference because I ripped down some walls, and want to put a kitchen bar/counter where the existing flue is.  So having it removed would be a bonus or if we had to just move it over a few feet and hide it behind a load bearing support.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:16:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

I don't have a clue to the size,  the outside fan is about 4.5 feet tall (old style).  It has done ok in the past with the old drafty windows.  The A/C guy that came and checked on it 2 years ago said it only had a few years left.  The blower is shot and the whole unit is 20/30 years old.  I just want to get a new one in there before winter hits and while the house is still vacant.  My uncle mentioned something about the newer units can have the flue be a PVC pipe and route it through the basement instead of straigh up through the house.  That's also going to make a difference because I ripped down some walls, and want to put a kitchen bar/counter where the existing flue is.  So having it removed would be a bonus or if we had to just move it over a few feet and hide it behind a load bearing support.

The PVC drain models are the 90%+ AFUE ones.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:42:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

The PVC drain models are the 90%+ AFUE ones.

BigDozer66

Ok, just had him come over today.  I'm back at work now.  He can do a 90+% efficiency AC and 3 ton furnace + the outside AC unit,  new water heater and everything can go through the PVC through the wall to the backyard and he's going to re route a vent where my sliding glass door went to + a humidifier/dehumidifier for $5,000.

He also has access to a ventless gas fireplace thing.  He didn't have the catalog on him but will drop it off later.  He said he could put one in for about $500.

He has a crew do all the heavy lifting so I wouldn't need to help.

He should start in less than 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Oh, and a new programmable thermostat.  The one in there now is an old dial one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top