Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2006 6:17:42 AM EDT
RC Plane

This is what I am thinking of.

This plane. Small digital camera. Small selenoid to push the shutter.

I know I would have to adjust the CG.

It flies, you have it rigged so that one to the controls triggers the shutter.
It lands, you download the pics.

Poor man's UAV.

This one uses a 3 channel controller, What if I use a four and use the spare for the camera?

ETA: Hydrocarbon fuel or electric? I am thinking of endurance time versus speed and performance.
Also sky blue airbrush paint for the bottom.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:19:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Video camera not still
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:52:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Four should do it, just make sure it has very stable mounting and put the camera inside the plane body. Also use a video camera if you can, that way you will get a longer shot of the area. Let me know how it works out as I have been looking at the same thing except using a chopper.

Omni
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:55:00 AM EDT
[#3]
You can buy planes already equipped with digital cameras

Estes XB-39 Eagleye EP ARF

This is the electric powered, radio controlled, almost ready to fly
                   Estes XB-39 Eagleeye Digital Camera Plane.
             Digital camera triggered by transmitter button takes
                             up to 26 pictures.
                For beginning and pro flyers ages 12 and over.

FEATURES: Digital Camera: Mounted in foam pod, takes up to 26 pictures per flight, can be repositioned before each flight to take pictures from front, either side or rear of plane. Pod snaps off for easy download of pictures to a laptop or PC, see REQUIRES Construction: EPP foam to resist breakage with quick lock wing mounts plane assembles in four easy steps Color Scheme: White and gray separated by black stripe with Air Force decals applied Radio: Eagleeye 27mHz AM 2-channel, left stick controls throttle, right stick controls steering by changing speed of each motor camera trigger button on rear left side of transmitter Motors: 2 with ducted fan units Batteries: Two 8.4V 650mAh NiMH with miniature Kyosho type connector Battery Charger: AC/DC powered for home or field use, charges one battery at a time in 30 minutes or less, do not charge for more than 1/2 hour Launching System: E-Z Launch with elastic cord and ground stake, pull back and launch into the wind Warranty: 90 day limited

INCLUDES: One Estes Foam Eagleeye Airplane, 2 motors with ducted fan units digital camera pod, USB cable, 2 camera batteries, two 8.4V NiMH 650mAh batteries, AC/DC battery charger, controller, camera software CD, E-Z Launch elastic cord and ground stake, instruction sheet

REQUIRES: Minimum System Requirements- Microsoft WIN98/2000/NT/ME/XP Operating System 125MB Memory USB Interface CD-ROM Drive Color Monitor, at least 800x600 24-bit color 6 AAA batteries, order 3 SANP3502 for transmitter

SPECS: Airplane- Charger- Wingspan: 55" (139.7cm) Input: 120V AC 60Hz 200mA Length: 34" (86.4cm) Output: 12V DC 1200mA Flying Range: 1000ft (305m)

COMMENTS: If damaged, EPP foam can be repaired using 5 Minute Epoxy (GPMR6042). Never use CA (super) glue, it will destroy the foam.

Special Stock#
LXJYF8
Tower's Low Price

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:00:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah but what is the camera's rating. I want like 6MP. Downward facing, slighly to the rear. I definately want more that 26 pictures.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:04:52 AM EDT
[#5]
If you are interested in this. Be aware that RC planes are quite difficult to fly. It takes alot of practice to master, so I would not recommend installing a camera in the first plane you purchase.  Chances are your first plane will be quickly followed by your second and third while learning the ropes and picking up the small pieces.  I used to fly RC planes after first learning to fly real aircraft. I think it took me about four trainer planes before I could actually control my crashes.  The hardest thing for me was correctly orientating myself with the RC planes direction of flight. In other words, when the thing is coming at you at 35 to 40 mph and it starts to wave off in your direction to the left, remeber that it's the planes direction to the right.  One wrong correction in this manner will send it down into the ground faster than you can say 'oh shit!'
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:06:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
........... I have been looking at the same thing except using a chopper.
Omni

A buddy of mine does this for a living. He combined his RC hobby with his career and now builds RC camera platforms and such, even does some DOD stuff…………..lucky (smart) bastard!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:09:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I was thinking something slow and easy for the first one.

No hotrod. Something that will return to level if the controls are un attended or signal is lost.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:10:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yeah but what is the camera's rating. I want like 6MP. Downward facing, slighly to the rear. I definately want more that 26 pictures.

See description.   Not high res, and yes, low capacity
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:10:28 AM EDT
[#9]
All questions are answered here

Electric power is the way to go. The Slow Stick is the plane of choice for pulling a camera up. I am building a SS copy right now to take a 5mp Canon up.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:11:22 AM EDT
[#10]
There was a guy here who put a camera on A RC helicoptor IIRC.

Hahahaha I remember when I was In Florida One Christmas. Standing on the beach on the Ocean. Guy Was Flying a Huge RC plane. Well this is neat to watch. He tries to bring it back in from over the ocean. It gets Low to the water and the wind must have caught it just right or something and CRASH right into the ocean.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:12:06 AM EDT
[#11]
A list member (can't remember his screen-name) rigged one of these up on an RC chopper.

He's posted pics her before of the results, and they're really impressive.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:12:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Blimp!    There's an idea
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:13:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you are interested in this. Be aware that RC planes are quite difficult to fly. It takes alot of practice to master, so I would not recommend installing a camera in the first plane you purchase.  Chances are your first plane will be quickly followed by your second and third while learning the ropes and picking up the small pieces.  I used to fly RC planes after first learning to fly real aircraft. I think it took me about four trainer planes before I could actually control my crashes.  The hardest thing for me was correctly orientating myself with the RC planes direction of flight. In other words, when the thing is coming at you at 35 to 40 mph and it starts to wave off in your direction to the left, remeber that it's the planes direction to the right.  One wrong correction in this manner will send it down into the ground faster than you can say 'oh shit!'

If you can chew gum and walk, you can fly an R/C plane. Now the Heli's are a whole 'nother animal......
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:17:08 AM EDT
[#14]
sounds like a job for the futaba super 8 I'm trying to sell. I'd be tempted but I'm getting out of RC stuff
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:18:12 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
  If you can chew gum and walk, you can fly an R/C plane.......

Really.................................
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:38:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
  If you can chew gum and walk, you can fly an R/C plane. Now the Heli's are a whole 'nother animal......

All I'm trying to say is, Don't expect to just pickup your first RC plane and instantly become an expert pilot.  It just doesn't happen like that.  It takes practice to be skilled at it.  Especially if one were to use it for recon work flying around buidings or trees and the like.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:43:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Now what about real time electronics?

GPS guidance?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:44:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep,,  been driving R/C planes and some Heli's around the sky for 30 plus years now.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#19]
i hooked up a wireless video cam 2 mine..
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:46:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

And??? Did it work? Range? I'd like 2km at least.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:46:53 AM EDT
[#21]
I found a site with info!

Here
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep,,  been driving R/C planes and some Heli's around the sky for 30 plus years now.

Well I’ve done my share of RC flying and I wouldn’t say it’s as easy as chewing gum and walking. I’ve yet to see a complete newbie start, taxi, take off, fly the pattern and land completely by them self.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:49:12 AM EDT
[#23]
I recently received a Firebird Freedom from Hobbyzone.com for a birthday present. Never flew before, but even in windy conditions, it's pretty easy to fly. I'd definately recommend it for a beginner, or anyone wanting something reletively inexpensive to have fun with.

The box comes with everything, including radio batteries, and is a cinch to setup. The plane is 3-channel, elevators, rudders, and throttle. But some of the Hobbyzone planes come with what's called an X-port, which allows accessories to be attached, like a fighter module, bomb drop, or navigation lights. The neat thing is, they've put a push button on the radio that activates the module.

Either way, the higher end planes go for about $130, and that includes everything. They have cheaper models for as little as $50, but they're much smaller. The Freedom as a 52" wingspan, and I believe the smaller ones have about 1/2 that.

Oh, and someone already put a video camera in the nose. Pretty low-rez, but it works.

Cockpit Movie

Firebird Freedom

They've got other video's on their site as well.

Oh, one last thing, everything on the plane is replaceable at a fairly reasonable price. So if you were to snap the wings, replacement is about $15. Which I've already done.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:52:29 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

My partner in flight uses one to see where his digi-cam is pointing. I built him a camera mount with servo controlled vertical movement. He makes some good side cash doing pics for a couple local real Estate agents.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:00:44 AM EDT
[#25]
By definition, a UAV is autonomous, that is, you put in a mission plan, the vehicle will execute the plan by itself, an RC plane is a RPV (Remote Piloted Vehicle).  Almost all UAV now have manual over-ride or some ofrm of man-in-the-loop, especially if it is weapon related.  Minor differences just like clip versus a magazine.

For those who wants a UAV, there are auto-pilot system out there that can fly the A/C for you, company like Micro-Pilot builds auto-pilot system that hobbiest can put into their RC planes.

For those who wants to take pictures with RC airplane, typically you will need an RC plane that is stable, like a medium sized high wing trainer.  Even that, you will need to bump both the shutter speed and f/stop all the way up, keeping the ISO as low as possible, and set the focus to infinity.  You can also get remote cables for the camera some of wihich can be actuated by the receiver.  Remember there camera delay, you steer the camera by pointing the airplane, and chances are you will be taking the picture blind.  You can co-axis a micro video with transmitter camera with the still camera which will help to point the camera.  Better pictures can be acheived if you have a pan and tilt turret, but now the air-frame size will go up.  One major note is your airframe structural strength is compromised because of the big hole or holes you need to cut for the optics.  One more, put an inexpensive UV or clear filter to protect the lens.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:10:55 AM EDT
[#26]
tag
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:13:12 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well I’ve done my share of RC flying and I wouldn’t say it’s as easy as chewing gum and walking. I’ve yet to see a complete newbie start, taxi, take off, fly the pattern and land completely by them self.

Thats always been the problem, People jump in with a plane not suited for a beginner. I start people off with a cheap foam glider from Wal-Mart. Put a 2 ch system in it and you have the perfect  tool to learn stick controls with. Once you can make the plane go in direction you want, the rest is easy.
 Did not say it was as easy as chewing gum and walking, said if you 'could' chew gum and walk, you could fly R/C.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:18:26 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats always been the problem, People jump in with a plane not suited for a beginner. I start people off with a cheap foam glider from Wal-Mart. Put a 2 ch system in it and you have the perfect  tool to learn stick controls with. Once you can make the plane go in direction you want, the rest is easy.
 Did not say it was as easy as chewing gum and walking, said if you 'could' chew gum and walk, you could fly R/C.

I stand corrected…………misunderstood your post. Just hate to see guys build a plane only to wreck it the first time they try and fly alone, and you and I have seen this at least once!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:34:38 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I stand corrected…………misunderstood your post. Just hate to see guys build a plane only to wreck it the first time they try and fly alone, and you and I have seen this at least once!

No problem, some of the stuff I have seen over the years would make you cry. Like the time a guy showed up at the field with a beautiful 1/4 scale Cub, he looked like he was having trouble setting up and we asked if this was his first Plane. He said he has flown it many times and we should mind our own business. He did get it off the ground, but snap-rolled it in right after. Turns out it WAS his first plane and first flight. Total loss on the plane and bent crank on the 2 cyl. Satio 4 stroke motor. Crawl before you walk, walk before you run, run before you fly.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:34:54 AM EDT
[#30]
I too stand corrected.  For I agree with Quib and simply misunderstood your post.  Did'nt want others to think that they could simply  go buy the first Extra 300 they came across at the Hobby shop and slap a camera  in the nose and be a stunt pilot.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Did'nt want others to think that they could simply  go buy the first Extra 300 they came across at the Hobby shop and slap a camera  in the nose and be a stunt pilot.

+1

After the Gulf War we used to fly off our airfield in Germany. My buddy saved his money while we were deployed and ordered a very nice ARF 60 size P-51 Mustang. As soon as we returned home he built and flew it. It was too much for him to handle going from .35 and .40 sized intermediate planes and he crashed it shortly afterwards.

One thing I was impressed with, was his ability to go from flying fixed wing to flying a RC helicopters with out a gyro!  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:05:42 AM EDT
[#32]
I checked out the slow stick and I like it even better.

Its cheap. Its reliable. Its easy to fix. Its forgiving.

I did see some info on a programmable GPS module.

I wonder what adding about 4" to each wing will do for the pay load?

How long will this thing fly at a time?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

My modified SS set up for bomb drop has a brushless outrunner and a 2100 mah Lipo. With good throttle management, it can go around 45 minutes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My modified SS set up for bomb drop has a brushless outrunner and a 2100 mah Lipo. With good throttle management, it can go around 45 minutes.

I can't do brushless. I'm talking stock with a small digital camera with an extra servo or selenoid to trigger it.

My Idea is to get it as high as I can before it dies and glide it down while taking pics.

Thats what I think I need the extra 4" per wing.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I can't do brushless. I'm talking stock with a small digital camera with an extra servo or selenoid to trigger it.

My Idea is to get it as high as I can before it dies and glide it down while taking pics.

Thats what I think I need the extra 4" per wing.

The stock 400, with 2400 mah NiMh should get you about 15-20 min. Does not sound like alot, but you can get a ton of pictures in that time.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:19:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I know next to nothing about R/C planes... but here's some interesting reading materials my colleagues pointed me to.

UAV lab at the University of Colorado
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:19:51 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Video camera not still

Supercircuits already has a 900meg video system tailored for RC. Record on the ground with a receiver hooked up to a VCR or such.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:16:59 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
By definition, a UAV is autonomous, that is, you put in a mission plan, the vehicle will execute the plan by itself, an RC plane is a RPV (Remote Piloted Vehicle).  Almost all UAV now have manual over-ride or some ofrm of man-in-the-loop, especially if it is weapon related.  Minor differences just like clip versus a magazine.

UAV = Unmanned Aerial Vehicle.    UAVs are not, as you say, by definition autonomous although some certainly are.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:59:53 AM EDT
[#40]
OK... After much research this is what I want to START with.

GWS Slow Stick kit. It includes the body and motor.

SS owners... Is there a kit I can get with the servos, recvr, transmitter, ESC? I would like transmitter with alot of range if possible but not much more expensive than stock. I heard 6 channel offers more range for lil extra cash.

I want to go pretty basic/stock at first.

Budget $150.

This is going to be an Aerial Photo plane.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#41]
This is actually an attempt at an RPV for RECON/SHTF/Nude Beaches.

I think I can do it cheaper than the $32k the government pays for them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:06:55 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Buy the Supercircuits.com kit and upgrade the camera to one with interchangable lenses. I have used it from a real aircraft and the footage was fantastic. (not used on nude beaches however)
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:09:32 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buy the Supercircuits.com kit and upgrade the camera to one with interchangable lenses. I have used it from a real aircraft and the footage was fantastic. (not used on nude beaches however)

The supercircuits kit BLOWS my budget. I think I can make some money renting it out to the Minutemen as a UAV. That out to FUG WIT DER MINDZ MANG!!! Having to worry about a UAV watching them!

Would it be illegal to violate mexican airspace with FOAM? Bah, what do I care!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:20:21 AM EDT
[#44]
While a SS will get you where you want to be, it is a slow and draggy plane and therefire, unless you have good thermals, it will not have good power-off endurance.  Planes like the EasyStar (Hitec/Multiplex) with LiPo battery conversion (plane comes without battery, ESC and servos) make good entry level trainers and camera platforms.  The SS will also suffer with its wing in windy conditions, almost impossible in anything over 10 MPH.  So in thermals, the SS really sucks.

Forget anything over 3 megapixel as it is unnecessary unless you want to read license plates at 200 yards.  You can find cheap and lightweight point and shoot, fixed focus cameras for cheap.  I still use my little Aiptek PenCam 1.3 megapixel with good results.  I fly it from a Wingo which has a good wing design and adequate wind ability.

Learn with an equal weight substituted for the camera.  You WILL crash hard enough to wreck the camera.  Don't do it without a simulant.

You can save weight by getting a camera that runs off 2-3 AA cells and make a suitable voltage regulator so you can use the flight pack power.  Also, some cameras are easier to modify for a solid-state trigger, directly from the receiver and without a servo.  These little electronic devices weigh about 1/5 that of the smallest servo and take up much less space.  Some cameras have to be "hacked" or taken apart to install this "feature".  On my Aiptek, I have such modifications which makes total weight under 2 ounces.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:25:40 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
OK... After much research this is what I want to START with.

GWS Slow Stick kit. It includes the body and motor.

SS owners... Is there a kit I can get with the servos, recvr, transmitter, ESC? I would like transmitter with alot of range if possible but not much more expensive than stock. I heard 6 channel offers more range for lil extra cash.

I want to go pretty basic/stock at first.

Budget $150.

This is going to be an Aerial Photo plane.

The two most important limits in range are #1, the Receiver which goes from 500 ft. on the short side, to full range with 1 mile plus. #2 your eyes, at 1000 ft. most people can not tell what the average size plane is doing. A 6ch. Radio has no more range then if it had 4 ch. Read the posts in this link, you will find them most helpful.  Link
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top