Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2015 7:43:16 PM EDT
I bought this Frigidaire (FFHS2323MB) in 2012 and began having problems with it immediately.  Door bins breaking, phantom water leaks, sporadic icemaker function, etc.  The thing was a real turd, but I figured if I could get it through another year or two, I'd replace it with something that worked correctly.  But today, it forced my hand by trying to kill me.

I'm sitting here, surfing Arfcom, minding my own business (I wasn't in the shower or eating a cookie) when I suddenly get a strong electrical smell.  Frantically, I pick my laptop up to my nose to see if something is short circuiting or something.  Nothing.  Checked all of the electronics in the room and nothing.  Meanwhile, the smell is getting stronger and stronger and I'm going into full panic mode.

I'm running around the house from room to room trying to sense where the smell is the strongest, trying to pinpoint and correct the problem before it ignites my 80+ year old wood-frame house and the whole place goes up in a ball of flames.

Run into the kitchen and am hit by an overwhelming electrical smell and I hear a buzzing/sputtering sound that appears to be coming from the refrigerator. I reach behind and pull the power cord and the noise stops.  Roll the thing out, and I see a wisp of smoke emanate from the back of the refrigerator.

Turns out, it's a known problem.

https://www.google.com/search?q=frigidaire+fire&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US&client=palemoon#q=frigidaire+refrigerator+fire

Frigidiaire's solution is to replace a circuit board at great expense then leave the refrigerator in your house to have another go at burning it to the ground.  No thanks.

TL/DR: Don't buy Frigidaire unless you like your house extra crispy.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 7:45:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Possessed refrigerator is possessed.

Shine the Batsignal for Dr. Fridge.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Whirlpool Gold

Glad you stopped a disaster. Glad you were home to stop a disaster.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#3]
New energy efficient design. It cools and heats your food in one package.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#4]
You got lucky on that one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:05:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bought this Frigidaire (FFHS2323MB) in 2012 and began having problems with it immediately.  Door bins breaking, phantom water leaks, sporadic icemaker function, etc.  The thing was a real turd, but I figured if I could get it through another year or two, I'd replace it with something that worked correctly.  But today, it forced my hand by trying to kill me.

I'm sitting here, surfing Arfcom, minding my own business (I wasn't in the shower or eating a cookie) when I suddenly get a strong electrical smell.  Frantically, I pick my laptop up to my nose to see if something is short circuiting or something.  Nothing.  Checked all of the electronics in the room and nothing.  Meanwhile, the smell is getting stronger and stronger and I'm going into full panic mode.

I'm running around the house from room to room trying to sense where the smell is the strongest, trying to pinpoint and correct the problem before it ignites my 80+ year old wood-frame house and the whole place goes up in a ball of flames.

Run into the kitchen and am hit by an overwhelming electrical smell and I hear a buzzing/sputtering sound that appears to be coming from the refrigerator. I reach behind and pull the power cord and the noise stops.  Roll the thing out, and I see a wisp of smoke emanate from the back of the refrigerator.

https://www.google.com/search?q=frigidaire+fire&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US&client=palemoon#q=frigidaire+refrigerator+fire

Frigidiaire's solution is to replace a circuit board at great expense then leave the refrigerator in your house to have another go at burning it to the ground.  No thanks.

View Quote

I'm less than pleased with my current Frigidaire. Samsung seems to be the market leader in consumer appliances.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Whirlpool Gold

Glad you stopped a disaster. Glad you were home to stop a disaster.
View Quote

Yep.  It was a really close call.  I'm off this week for the holidays, but we had plans to leave for my parents today and come back tomorrow. Plans got pushed back and we were going tomorrow instead.

If I hadn't been here, things might have gotten bad.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:21:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

The only downside is, it decides when to cook your food.  And everything else in the house.

Other than that, its great.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#9]
From your screen name I was expecting to hear it tried to crush you.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:29:27 PM EDT
[#10]
SUE them! After all it is the American way.
Claim that you can no longer safe as you live in fear of all refrigerators, then tank your job as a result of lack of sleep which will only bolster your case.
With the money you win you can buy a Subzero
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Embrace your Western European privilege and drink your beer warmish.  No need for a fridge at all.  In summer take the warm out of the beer by floating them in the toilet.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 8:51:32 PM EDT
[#12]
All appliances are shit nowadays.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:39:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
All appliances are shit nowadays.
View Quote

I'm thinking this.

My parents bought a Maytag W+D combo in the late 70's when I was about six years old.  When I moved out of the house after college, that washer went with me.  I eventually passed it down to someone else and it was working perfectly when they got it. When they sold the houses that we lived in during my childhood, the refrigerators went with the houses and they were both working perfectly.

Since I moved in this house in 2005, we've already gone through a washer, a dryer, and two refrigerators. This is the first one that's tried to kill me, though.

We have a freezer now that looks to be about 30 years old.  My wife got it from her grandmother.  That thing's chugging away right now with no problems.  Thank goodness we had it, or we might have lost a lot of food.

I rolled the dice on an LG refrigerator this time.  It gets good reviews and is supposed to be one of the more reliable models.  

We shall see.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:39:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm less than pleased with my current Frigidaire. Samsung seems to be the market leader in consumer appliances.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Samsung is the leader of selling crap! I work on all brands and would buy Frigidaire any day before wasting my money on Samsung.

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 9:54:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Samsung is the leader of selling crap! I work on all brands and would buy Frigidaire any day before wasting my money on Samsung.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll bet it's nice working on the Frigidaires.  No need for a flashlight.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top