Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 12:24:39 PM EDT
I just went outside to check on my nephew who's over for the day, and I hear this REALLY loud thunder in the distance....as it gets louder, I start silently freaking the hell out, as there's no airport near here, and no air shows or anything that's going on.  

So, I keep watching, and over the treeline comes a fucking bomber squadron .  Not one, or three, but FIVE.  However, I realize they're not going to bomb me into the next world, as I notice there's two B17 Fortresses, two B29 Liberators, and one that I couldn't identify for the life of me.

It was really cool.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just went outside to check on my nephew who's over for the day, and I hear this REALLY loud thunder in the distance....as it gets louder, I start silently freaking the hell out, as there's no airport near here, and no air shows or anything that's going on.  

So, I keep watching, and over the treeline comes a fucking bomber squadron .  Not one, or three, but FIVE.  However, I realize they're not going to bomb me into the next world, as I notice there's two B17 Fortresses, two B29 Liberators, and one that I couldn't identify for the life of me.

It was really cool.

you mean a B24 Liberator or a super fortress?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:27:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool.

All carp I see are holy after I shoot them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:29:18 PM EDT
[#4]
For my entire childhood, I would see a B17 flying at 1000 feet on a monthly basis.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:33:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was really cool.

you mean a B24 Liberator or a super fortress?

I don't think that there are two B29's available to fly together in a formation anywhere.

Only Fifi.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I din't know there were three flying B-24's left.  Only seen one in the air.

There are multiple airworthy B-17's and it is indeed a sight to see a group of three flying in formation.
I can't imagine the sheer number of them flying out of Britain on a daily basis during WWII.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:42:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice! All I get flying overhead are Coast Guard choppers, Chinooks, A-10's, KC-135s, F-16s, and occasionally Air Force One or Two. The Chinooks rattle my windows.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:43:06 PM EDT
[#8]
And the photos are where??? You had lots of warning they were coming.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

And the photos are where??? You had lots of warning they were coming.

I was at my mother's house.  I didn't bring one.  Plus, I was watching my nephew.

To answer the others, I meant B24.  Sorry.

The ones I knew were easy to identify...they were flying REALLY low.  Couldn't have been more than a few hundred feet up.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:36:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:00:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Just think what the Germans thought when they seen the sky filled with those great War Birds

SCHEISSER!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#12]
"Look mummy, there's an airplane up in the sky"

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice! All I get flying overhead are Coast Guard choppers, Chinooks, A-10's, KC-135s, F-16s, and occasionally Air Force One or Two. The Chinooks rattle my windows.

Not to hijack but Metroplex, where are you?  I only get to see the Helos and the A-10's - Not too many F-16s or KC-135s out my way. (Romeo - N of Selfridge)
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Two `29s?

That would be a treat.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Two `29s?

That would be a treat.

It left me in awe, that's for sure.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#17]
All I get are black helicoptors overhead.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#18]
which direction were they flying because there's an airshow in Cleveland all weekend
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#19]
October in the late 90's I'm sitting on our little stock tank fishing late one sunday evening. I hear that unmistakable roar and watch the CAF B-17 Texas Raider fly right over the top of the stock tank. Just after the B-17 clears our property I hear another group of planes. The entire Tora, Tora, Tora group is about 5 mile behind the B-17. Kinda surreal to see a bunch of Japanese fighters and bombers chasing a lone B-17. There had been an airshow in OKC that day and they were headed south. Pretty cool.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:51:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

which direction were they flying because there's an airshow in Cleveland all weekend

NNW

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top