Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2005 5:03:30 PM EDT
I downloaded the knoppix live dvd version 4.0 ... booted from the disk, it loaded right up with no input from me, and had ALL of my hardware apparently working correctly. Audio, mouse, etc.

The network configured itself and I was up in running pretty much instantly ... amazing.

I may have to pick out a distro and try a real installation of it. Maybe I can get by without windows for a while.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:05:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Ubuntu kicks ass as well.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Uhh yea, what took you so long?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Ubuntu worked great on my ThinkPad T22 except for my Linksys WPC54G wireless card.  Saw the card but couldn't connect to my network (even dropping all security and leaving it wide open didn't work).

Yup, Linux on the desktop has come a LONG way.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Debian is my distro of choice.
Stay away from that hippy loving anti america GENTOO distro!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I run this (the Kill Bill version) slax.linux-live.org/

Boots from CD, finds everything, works for me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:23:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been using Fedora myself.  Core 3, but now Core 4 is out.  Install was easy and it works well with my hardware.  

It's not quite ready to completely take over for Windows in my desktop needs, but it's getting there quickly.

Hopefully soon I'll get some studying in and get the LPI 1 cert.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#8]
i didn't think knoppix 4 was out yet
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:45:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I use knoppix everyday on computers...  the cd version is much more convienient than the dvd version.     From what you have used is the dvd version that much better?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I use knoppix everyday on computers...  the cd version is much more convienient than the dvd version.     From what you have used is the dvd version that much better?

I had never gotten one to work before this.

I just tried the dvd version first because I didn't have any blank CDs around tonight.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#12]
How well does Counter Strike Source, or World of Warcraft work on it?

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:22:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had never gotten one to work before this.

I just tried the dvd version first because I didn't have any blank CDs around tonight.

i starting using knoppix at version 3.5.  never had a problem with any version untill version 3.9 came out.  on alot of systems ive used it on(mainly older systems) it either come up with garbled display or 640X480 resolution.  the majority of the newwer systems are fine.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
How well does Counter Strike Source, or World of Warcraft work on it?

They work great. Download it and try.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#15]
The only thing tying me to Windows at the moment is gaming.
I would switch to linux full time if I could.

I prefer Kubuntu and Mandrake, because I prefer KDE to GNOME.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:18:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I am trying out Fedora Core right now at work on a spare computer.  Pretty impressed with the looks, its fonts are much better than some of the other disto's I tried.  

I use knoppix-STD and WHAX for hacking into boxes at work when our Active Directory person fucks up policies (more than one occasion has hosed the admin accounts and passwords.)
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:23:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Ubuntu worked great on my ThinkPad T22 except for my Linksys WPC54G wireless card.  Saw the card but couldn't connect to my network (even dropping all security and leaving it wide open didn't work).

Yea, I really dislike Linksys. They are a bunch of fuckin theives, IMO. They will take from the Linux community, use the kernal for their routers, but won't give a drop of support for Linux when it comes to their products. I wish  I would have known that before I bought my wireless router :( .

FWIW, after going through both Dlink and Linksys for a wireless card for my notebook, I ended up with a, get this, MICROSOFT wireless card. Worked almost right out of the box. Kinda ironic, eh?

-Storm
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The only thing tying me to Windows at the moment is gaming.
I would switch to linux full time if I could.

I prefer Kubuntu and Mandrake, because I prefer KDE to GNOME.

Of all the distributions I've tried, I've always preferred the KDE versions.  I'm giving Gnome a chance (in Ubuntu), it's matured a lot since the last time I tried it.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:28:04 PM EDT
[#19]

I run this (the Kill Bill version) slax.linux-live.org/

Boots from CD, finds everything, works for me.

Doh! You had tos how me this SLAX thing didnt you?

10 minutes from the time you posted in that thread I am running Linux on my machine for the first time. Its kinda neat. Gonna go explore the features of this new thingy...

How do I show it where my stuff is? Also i had heard somewhere that on these live cds you cant modify data... is that correct?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:31:34 PM EDT
[#20]
KS,

In my recent LPI class with one of our Linux software techs, it was stated that KDE for for a while was ahead of Gnome, but now they're pretty much on even ground.  

I've used Gnome in RH and Fedora, and I like it very much.  No problems so far.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:34:29 PM EDT
[#21]
*nix sucks.

I have a radeon 9800 pro.  I want to play Enemy Territory on linux.

I tried every distro out there and not a one of them worked with ATI's drivers.  There are no non-ATI drivers that worked either.

*nix nerds can say that it isn't a gaming OS or that it's ATI's fault.  I don't give a shit.  As an end user, I want it to work.

For the record, I found a way that was supposed to make it work, by way of using a custom built kernal. That, apparently, is child's play for a *nix user.  Well, color me retarded then.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
*nix sucks.

I tried every distro out there and not a one of them worked with ATI's drivers.  There are no non-ATI drivers that worked either.

*nix nerds can say that it isn't a gaming OS or that it's ATI's fault.  I don't give a shit.  As an end user, I want it to work.

For the record, I found a way that was supposed to make it work, by way of using a custom built kernal. That, apparently, is child's play for a *nix user.  Well, color me retarded then.

It isn't a gaming OS, and a distro is not the same as an installed OS.

Let me guess, you have a mac.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:46:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Let me guess, you have a mac.

Naw, us Mac'ers don't claim him, either - He plays games on his pee-cee...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#24]
XP pro on homebrewed computer.

For the record, my brother is a *nix nerd and has coauthored 3 books on various computer crap.  He thinks MS is evil but he does admit gaming is a huge plus for MS.

Warez, of course, would be #2.  Not that I know anything about that.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:54:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
*nix sucks.

Right tool for the right job....you don't take a .22lr handgun for big game hunting, or use a .50cal for home defence right?. Granted, Linux has come a long way in the gaming department, but you have to remember, 99% of the work done is volunteer, i.e. people working in their spare time. Not to mention the vendors aren't making life easier on the coders either.

There is a reason that Google, and a good number of the big boys when it comes to computing run on Linux.

-Storm
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:05:42 PM EDT
[#27]
2 things are holding me back
gaming
and I'm still on dial up and don't feel like buying another modem, in this case an external serial modem, that linux can use. Most pci card modems these days are winmodems and rely too much on Windows specific system functions for linux to be able to control them
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:33:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Tag-a-rino.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:51:30 PM EDT
[#29]
for so long i've wanted to switch to a *nix workstation.  but alas, i just haven't been able to do it.

games are one reason, although really i could drop the games for a while and be happy.  what's probably the biggest catch is that my productivity apps are all windows (or mac) based.  photoshop, macromedia products, that sort of thing.  and last i heard it was a real pain to get photoshop to work right with a unix machine.  my browser, email and instant messenger client is all unix-native.

unfortunately, i can't really switch to the gimp.  it's good, but not photoshop.

i've run unix servers (mostly freebsd), helped admin them, and even ran both red hat and mandrake distros on a workstation a few years ago where i used to work.  when i had the seperate rh machine, i did 90%+ of my work on there.  unfortunately samba wouldn't run for me, but this was 4 or more years ago.

oh well, either i'll figure it out, or eventually i'll run 2 desktops.  although windows has gotten a lot better, xp pro is very good in comparison to what it used to be.  and microsoft really can pump out the genius when they want to.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:58:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
*nix sucks.

I keep filling my Turbodiesel truck up with gasoline, and it just won't work right.

*oline nerds can say that it isn't a Diesel fuel or that it's Dodge's fault.  I don't give a shit.  As an end user, I want it to work.

This is why I buy Nvidia cards.  Never had a problem with them working in Windows and *nix environments.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:05:51 PM EDT
[#31]
tagged for home.....
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:22:38 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea, I really dislike Linksys. They are a bunch of fuckin theives, IMO. They will take from the Linux community, use the kernal for their routers, but won't give a drop of support for Linux when it comes to their products. I wish  I would have known that before I bought my wireless router :( .

FWIW, after going through both Dlink and Linksys for a wireless card for my notebook, I ended up with a, get this, MICROSOFT wireless card. Worked almost right out of the box. Kinda ironic, eh?

-Storm

Linksys, unfortunately, is now owned by Cisco.  The support across the board is not as good as it used to be.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:36:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Unfortunately, I'm a .NET developer, so I kinda need a PC environment to develop/run my apps - I know they are working on a framework to allow ASP.NET applications to run on *nix, but they're releasing .NET 2.0 in a few months and I'll have to be working with that.

I could do PHP and MySQL, but it is SO much faster to work in .NET.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top