Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2004 12:45:51 AM EDT
I was sitting in the bedroom and heard a noise.  I got up and looked into the living room and saw the door handle turning and saw them trying to push the door open.  I grabbed my weapon and looked through the peep-hole and saw no one.  I then went to the two windows facing the front and couldn't see anybody.

So I opened the door and walked outside.  I live on the 3rd story of an apartment complex.  I looked down the walkway and over the railings.  I walked to each level to check things out and when I got to the ground level I walked through the parking area and around the corner.

I remembered that I left my door unlocked so I came back up and cleared the apartment.

Man, I looked everywhere and didn't see anyone.  Do you think they may have gotten into another apartment??

I'm not afraid to confront a potential home invader but dang, I'm still shaking from getting my adrenaline pumped.  My hands are shaking like its a cold day.

Should I call the cops? Should I do another sweep of the area?

DANG!

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:48:48 AM EDT
[#1]
call for back up.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:50:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know - I think maybe I should call the police.  I guess it could've been a drunk trying to enter the place.

I took another look around outside and didn't see anyone.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:54:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I called security.  They're going to send one of there foot patrols to check things out around the complex.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:55:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Man, talk about getting your heart beating like crazy.  Now that I've calmed down a bit, I feel kind of silly getting all worked up.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:57:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Man, talk about getting your heart beating like crazy.  Now that I've calmed down a bit, I feel kind of silly getting all worked up.

Nah, not getting "worked up" might be more of a point of concern.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:06:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Not that you shouldn't be worked up, but I can't count the number of times I got dropped off at home, shit faced, and tried to unlock the apartment across the hall from mine. Accidents happen
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:11:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Maybe it was SchutzStaffel looking for you.
He never did answer your question in his thread.

www.arfcom.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=277532
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:38:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll bet it was just a drunk.  Security checked the area and nothing was disturbed.  Man, I'm glad I had the door bolted.  I'd hate to have had an accidental shooting or something.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:40:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Maybe it was SchutzStaffel looking for you.
He never did answer your question in his thread.

www.arfcom.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=277532

I've got a feeling he'll just continue insulting me instead of answering the question.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:42:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:43:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah, not getting "worked up" might be more of a point of concern.  

I think you're right.  But it sure makes you feel goofy afterwards.

If it was in the middle of the day my reaction would've been a bit calmer, but when you're all relaxed and settled in, a sudden jolt like that really takes you from 0-60 in no time.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:45:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
call the cops, could be someone drunk trying to get into the wrong apartment, or someone trying doors to try to break into an unlocked one

I asked the security fella if I should.  And I mentioned that whoever it was might be in another residence.  But he said that  nothing was disturbed and that the police wouldn't really do anything other than take a report.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:49:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'll bet it was just a drunk.  Security checked the area and nothing was disturbed.  Man, I'm glad I had the door bolted.  I'd hate to have had an accidental shooting or something.

What "accidental" shooting? you were going to do it on purpose after the person continued to try to get in after warning and breaking the lock?    Probably a drunk but most drunks or people stopping at the wrong door will figure it out when their keys don't work, the door won't open and somebody is yelling at them.  If they then keep trying to come in.  Well you are probably correct in assuming that they are trying to do harm.  

That's why some of us think the guys that are the shoot first and worry later bunch are a little too nonchalant  and/or keyboard commandoes.  It might be legal to shoot first without positively identifying the target, but how are you going to feel if you had a little more time didn't take it and you just drilled the neighbor coming home after getting blitzed welcoming his son home from Iraq??  

I think you did right.    Disappearing as fast as they did it was probably an inattentive neighbor hitting the wrong door.  That isn't a capital offense.  Not sure I would go out too fast.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#14]
You shoulda ran outside naked, and fired a 30-rounder off into the air.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:06:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
call the cops, could be someone drunk trying to get into the wrong apartment, or someone trying doors to try to break into an unlocked one

Good advice. It may have been nothing except a drunk...or it just could have been a "dry run" by someone much more dangerous than a mere drunk...although that is almost certainly not the case. Either way, it never hurts to establish a "paper trail" with the LEOs. If nothing else happens, fine. If, however, some shit DOES happen, you are in a much better position to appear as Mr. Responsible Apartment Renter who was just defending himself...AFTER a previous incident which you duly reported and which you have the CASE NUMBER for! (Ya gotta ask the officer for the case number these days...we used to give them out like candy, but the investigators bitched and whined so much the brass more or less asked us to stop...we didn't! Hee, hee, hee!) Say nothing about capping the MF or anything similar...mention that you are in fear for your safety, etc.

If you wait to mention this incident until after the fact, the first question you will be asked will go something like this..."Well, if you thought it was suspicious at the time, why didn't you REPORT it?"
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#16]
A couple of points I failed to mention.  This is the second time in 2 months that this has happened.  And last night there was no key being inserted into the lock.  It was turning of the knob and pushing on the door.  This was the case last time as well - no key sound.

My comment on an accidental shooting reflected that I would hate to pull on someone who's just drunk and made a mistake.

And the fact that the MFer virtually vanished so stinking quickly - I really looked around immediately afterward.  Nothing - no sounds on the metal stairs, nothing.  They must have tried and then bolted the hell out of there PDQ.

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:36:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Heh, anyone still have that post handy.  I'd like to re-read that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was indeed funny...

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I was traveling due to my job, and stopped to get some coffee and a sandwich.  I went back out to my truck, and my key would not open the truck door.  I fiddled with it for about 5 minutes, and a voice behind me said, why don't you try your truck, and let me get in mine.  I looked past the one I had my key in, and there was mine... duh.  Same model, same color.

Maybe someone was on the wrong floor?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:45:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Not that you shouldn't be worked up, but I can't count the number of times I got dropped off at home, shit faced, and tried to unlock the apartment across the hall from mine. Accidents happen

This happened to me when my mother lived in an apartment after my parents divorced. I was staying with her one weekend and some fuckhead drunk tried to enter the apartment thinking it was his. Not funny. I remember it scared me pretty bad. Id like to know what would happen if a person in that condition actually did manage to enter someone elses home and was shot for doing so.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:04:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Should I call the cops?

WTF are they gonna do? Dont waste your time. Cops are only there to take a report after the fact, They cant protect you.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was indeed funny...

those were the 'good ole days' of arfcom
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Back in VA, some drunk guy kept knocking on our door about 1:30 am...he refused to leave...just stood outside the door...finally, I said loudly through the door, "I've got a gun in one hand and I'm calling the police with the other!"  He suddenly snapped back into reality and said "I'm sorry" and took off...
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I was traveling due to my job, and stopped to get some coffee and a sandwich.  I went back out to my truck, and my key would not open the truck door.  I fiddled with it for about 5 minutes, and a voice behind me said, why don't you try your truck, and let me get in mine.  I looked past the one I had my key in, and there was mine... duh.  Same model, same color.

Maybe someone was on the wrong floor?

I have done something similar at hotels, talk about getting cops called quick, almost got hauled away for PD one time , hell everything looks the same on every floor when you get off a elevator drunk!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
And the fact that the MFer virtually vanished so stinking quickly - I really looked around immediately afterward.  Nothing - no sounds on the metal stairs, nothing.  They must have tried and then bolted the hell out of there PDQ.

It kind of adds weight to the arguement that he was probably from next door or across the hall.  Either drunk or absent minded would be my guess.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#26]
"Id like to know what would happen if a person in that condition actually did manage to enter someone elses home and was shot for doing so. "

This is one area where your different state laws can make a big difference.  If you live in a state with relatively "liberal" laws regarding protecting your domicile (TX, CA, etc) you probably will not even be charged.  There was a case recently in Indiana where it happened and the shooter was charged but found not guilty.  Happened near  here in CA and no indictment.  If you are so "fortunate" as to live in a state that has a duty to retreat  requirement and you are going to be in big trouble.  Ergo, safer to make sure before you fire.

Then again you may have a neighbor that is looking for a quick cat burglar visit to the neighbors.  (the quick disappearnce isn't inconsistent with  this idea either)  Several people report this and it wouldn't be looking like a inadvertant drunk neighbor anymore would it?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:34:10 PM EDT
[#27]
If you'd fired through the door, there'd be no mystery, now would there
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:36:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, if the noise was real and not imagined then definitely call for back up.  Adreniline is very hard to control at times and being in the dark alone is not good in these situations.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:37:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Big thing is LOCK YOUR DOORS.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#30]
They were just checking which house they are coming back to.  Im sure around 3-4 a.m. they will try again.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#31]
When I was in college we had a guy stumble in drunk, take a shower, make himself at home and who knows what else because our lock was broken.(just moved in) He checked all the rooms to sleep but they were occupied so he came to my door. He twisted my locked door handle so hard it opened up even though it was locked and I sprung out of bed. I said "What the fuck do you want!?!" He said "is this so and so's place?" I said "no get the fuck out of here" he was a big boy he probably was like wtf are you gonna do, he never knew I had a USP within arms reach though. In any case he was cool about it and he left.

About Hotels, a drunk tried this with my father who was competing in a trap meet, My father heard the sound of somebody messing with the lock, he stapped together his over and under trap gun and opened the door. I bet double barrels are twice as scary.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top