Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2001 4:59:32 PM EDT
I'm still cleaning out my underwear from this one!!  I took my 4 month old Oly out in the desert tonight to test my new flat top sight. On the 17th rd. There was a different feel to the gun as it recoiled and since I shoot left handed I saw alot of crap that wasn't brass go flying by my face. My hand was hit and bled a little, nothing serious. My shooting glasses stopped anything from hitting my eyes. I looked at the ejection port and here is my bolt still in the in-battery position but my carrier is locked back!! I snapped the bolt off dead center of where the key hole is(if that what you call the big hole that has the "key" go through it) It has a nice perfect break all the way around the two bolt pieces. I was shooting LC military ball ammo so that shouldn't have caused it. Do you think that Olympic Arms will stand behind it. I bought it at a Gun Show in November and the genleman said he would send me the manual and warranty card in the mail since he forgot them at home, yeah right!! Am I out an AR bolt or will Oly come around for me??

Idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#1]
That sucks. [:(]

Is your Oly a factory gun?  Are you sure that it was Oly's bolt?

Ask them - It usually doesn't hurt to ask.
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 6:01:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe I didnt read it good enough but the key broke right? I`ve seen a couple of key pins break and they do something similar to what I think you described. That pin gets a real workout and I replace mine evry couple thousand rounds.
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 6:11:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Dang! You're very lucky! Call OLY asap. Sounds like you had a bad bolt. Now the carrier and cam pin are also suspect.

I would insist OLY give me a whole new bolt group and check the headspace. Then as soon as I got it, I would dump it on the web and buy one from BM or Colt!
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#4]
That would scare the shit out of me.
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Good luck in trying to get anything from Tom Spitballer, you might try talking to him about it at the next G-show but he will totally deny OLY as being responsible and will not give you a new bolt and carrier. But you can try.
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Rich314, it was the actual bolt that split right in the ceneter of the key hole, so I have a two piece bolt instead a one piece, the front half and the back half.

The hole setup is a stock oly unit. So I hope they are willing to stand behind their product.

I can use my wifes pre ban bushy v-match for this weekends shooting fix but I would like to have it operational for the next weekend. I'll keep you guys updated.
idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Man are you lucky....glad you weren't badly injured. Hope you can get them to stand behind it. Good luck
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a preban Oly that had a similar problem, only I caught it before failure. There was a hairline crack I noticed on one side of the bolt, due to a small pock mark about the size of a pinhead. I'm glad I found it, or I would have had a similar experience I guess. I replaced it with a Bushmaster bolt.
    This really makes you wonder about their quality control. [V]
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#10]
My Sendar full auto conversion did the same thing. Chromed carrier/bolt.

Started having all kinds of jamming action. Took apart and bolt was split separated on one side and hairling crack on other side. Dropped in a new Bushymaster bolt and off to the races again
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 9:23:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Stokes,
I apreciate the offer but I think you've got the wrong guy.

Idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 10:37:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Wrong guy or not, it's refreshing to see a man stand up and do the right thing!
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 11:01:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 12:21:05 AM EDT
[#16]
my old Carbon 15 did the exact same thing to my buddie last week. ........... A new bolt is already on the way
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 6:28:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Stokes, you are the MAN!! If it isn't that big of a problem to do it I will take you up on it. Please email me at [email protected] with your shipping address and I'll ship out the bolt and $10 for return shipping and your problems. I guess you've got a new customer when I need parts and goodies. If you are ever in the Twin Falls area you've got a few beers coming.
thanks again
idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 6:40:24 AM EDT
[#18]
That good of Stokes & I`ll keep that in mind.
I would like to know the cause of the failure, if you find out, please keep us posted.
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 9:42:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Idaho,

I'm glad your ok!  Thats a bummer about your AR though.  Did you buy it at the gun show in Boise or there in Twin?  I think I'm going to go clean my Bushy and check things over really good now just to make sure. [BD]
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top