Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/21/2004 9:23:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/22/2004 2:18:53 PM EST by BUZZARD464]
The dept. has just advised that they are going to allow us to carry backups. Yes, I admit that we are behind the times! Ok, to begin with we have Beretta 96's and have had 4 weapons not to fire. Now you see what I am thinking. To start out with I have a Glock 27 and a S&W 640. I haven't made my choice as for which to carry yet. I need your input as for which holster manufacturer you like best for your backup(s)preferrably ankle holsters. Is the De Santis Apache a thumb break holster? It is the one I've heard a lot aboutaround here. What are your dept. requirements for carrying a backup? Fellow firearms instructors, give me your input on training.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:40:23 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/21/2004 9:40:42 AM EST by tcsd1236]
Our requirements are that the officer must submit in writing a request to carry a weapon; the weapon must be on their pistol permit; the officer must qualify annually with the weapon and the weapon and holster/ retention method must be approved by one of the firearms staff.If the weapon is chambered in 40 Auto, the officer must use agency ammo. If it is not 40 Auto, the officer must use the same brand at their own cost. We had an issue with officers tending to buy really cheap guns the first couple of years we authorized back ups, so we've narrowed down the field of approvable firearms a bit to eliminate the Jennings and similar cheap weapons from consideration.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:03:38 AM EST
I used to carry a glock 27 in an uncle mikes holster that was on the straps to my vest (under my uniform shirt). My uniform shirt seemed to wear quite a bit from this. I have since switched to a S&W 642 in the same manner. I carry it on my strong side so I can grab it with my non dominent hand. I also carry spare ammom in my pocket on a speed strip.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:34:41 AM EST
I used to carry my Glock27 as a backup but it was just a little too bulky. I tried under my shirt and ankle but both were a little obtrusive. I switched to a taurus p85 titanium with the hammer shaved off.

I couldn't find a holster that fit the way I wanted so I went to a dive shop and bought a few squares of neoprine. I drew out a basic holster pattern with a retention strap and had the uniform shop sew it right onto my vest carrier on the strong side. I had them sew on a piece of plastic and some velcro for a thumb break on the inside. The whole thing is light, breathable, concealed and really comfortable. I use velcro on my uni shirts for quick access.

I don't carry extra ammo for the backup.

NorCal
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:07:22 PM EST
I carry a Kel Tec P32 in a holster by Rusty Sherrick that attaches on your vest strap. I know, I know its a .32 but its better than nothing.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 1:37:35 AM EST
We carry Glock 21s as our primary pistol and I carry a Glock 30 as a backup. I wear the 30 in a B.U.G. holster from Caliber Press. It's comfortable, concealed, and quickly accessed by either hand.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 3:22:57 AM EST
EPD call me stupid but what is a BUG holster?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:11:48 AM EST

Originally Posted By KC0CXA:
EPD call me stupid but what is a BUG holster?

www.calibrepress.com/catalog/product.html?sku=8355_master
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 4:49:33 AM EST
Thanks bookmarked that site for when I get out on the streets.

Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:50:06 PM EST
B.U.G. = Back Up Gun
or as some of the old timers call them, "throw down guns".... but that's another story...
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:27:35 PM EST
NYPD policy is qualification at the academy right from the start. There are two tiers; I think pre-1997 hires had the choice of revolvers with a limited list of approved weapons. S+W Centennials, 64-2 2" + 3", Ruger Speed-Sixes 2 3/4", Ruger SPNY. Post-1997 it was 9mm compacts with a limited list. S+W 3913 DAO, 3953 TSW, Glock 26, Kahr K9. Policy favors the 9mms; post-1997s cannot requal with revolvers and pre-1997s can switch to 9mms but cannot switch back if they don't like them. Department policy for plainclothes/off-duty carry is belt mounted trigger covered thumbsnap holsters strongside behind hips. Sounds great till you need to draw from car seat with seat belt. Think carjack scenario.
Top Top