Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/24/2003 7:40:35 AM EDT

Hollywood officer accused of neglecting dog loses patrol car
By Vicky Agnew

A Hollywood police officer suspended amid allegations she neglected and abused her dog was ordered Tuesday to turn in her take-home patrol car.

However, Officer Ashley Reed, 27, a three-year veteran of the force, will be allowed to continue living rent-free as part of the department's Officer Next Door Program until the outcome of her case is determined. That process could take several weeks.

Reed was charged with misdemeanor animal neglect Monday after staff at the Hollywood Animal Clinic reported to police that her 16-month old male pit bull, Hurricane, was suffering from severe malnutrition and had injuries on his face, stomach and feet.

Reed dropped the dog off at the clinic late Sunday, Hollywood Police Capt. Tony Rode said.

Monday's suspension is Reed's second for 2003. She was suspended in January for reporting extra duty hours when ordered not to work them, records show. Last month, she was reassigned from patrol to administrative duty.

A review of her personnel file revealed Reed was the subject of at least three internal affairs investigations in the past three years. She was given several unsatisfactory performance evaluations in 2002 and 2003 for mishandling property, disregarding the safety of a citizen who called for help, failing to comply with the department's arrest policy and failing to submit written reports. She submitted her resignation April 24, 2001 and then rescinded it the same day, records show.

Until the city decides her fate, however, it will continue paying her monthly rent of $925.

Reed is one of about a dozen officers living rent-free in what the department calls "high service demand neighborhoods." In return, they sign a contract promising to stay in the residences, mostly single-family homes, for three years. Reed moved into the small Hollywood home in May 2002, police department attorney Joel Cantor said.

"That privilege can be yanked away at any time," Cantor said. "It depends on how the chief dictates the future of this officer. If the officer continues as a uniformed police officer, then she may very well continue in the program.''

The Officer Next Door program, which began five years ago, costs about $100,000 a year and is funded by drug forfeiture money.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:00:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a case for an immediate involuntary termination.

In other words, fire her sorry ass and stop the free rent!

Mike
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Once a hood rat, always a hood rat.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like wonderful opportunities to try a new career are going to present themselves in the near future.

Bet her supervisor is happy!
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn, I want that job.

Quoted:

A Hollywood police officer suspended amid allegations she neglected and abused her dog was ordered Tuesday to [red]turn in her take-home patrol car.[/red]

However, Officer Ashley Reed, 27, a three-year veteran of the force, [red]will be allowed to continue living rent-free[/red] as part of the department's Officer Next Door Program until the outcome of her case is determined. That process could take several weeks.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 10:47:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Reed was the subject of at least three internal affairs investigations in the past three years. She was given several unsatisfactory performance evaluations in 2002 and 2003 for mishandling property, disregarding the safety of a citizen who called for help, failing to comply with the department's arrest policy and failing to submit written reports.
View Quote

I can promise you that my white male ass woulda been fired long ago. [soapbox]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Damn, I want that job.

Quoted:

A Hollywood police officer suspended amid allegations she neglected and abused her dog was ordered Tuesday to [red]turn in her take-home patrol car.[/red]

However, Officer Ashley Reed, 27, a three-year veteran of the force, [red]will be allowed to continue living rent-free[/red] as part of the department's Officer Next Door Program until the outcome of her case is determined. That process could take several weeks.
View Quote
View Quote

It's not that good of a deal.  They have been trying to get cops and teachers to move into the ghettos ("communities they serve") forever. What cop in his right mind would move his family into a gang infested shithole where everyone would know he's a cop, and figure out his schedule the first couple days?

I'm sure there are plenty of condemed and abandoned properties in NY that you could live in rent free. they wouldnt be any worse than where HUD is trying to get cops and teachers to live.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Damn, I want that job.

View Quote

You most certainly do not. Take home cars are a serious pain in the ass and tell all the bad guys EXACTLY where you live.  Ever had a fighting drunk couple see your car in the driveway and then pound on your door at 2am?

As for the rent free program.  Everyone LOVES to live in the projects, the only places that qualify.

We have the same deal here,  Offhand I don't know anyone that's taken the city up on it.  The neighborhoods are that bad.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#8]
What's the difference?  I'm sure she would have lived in the ghetto anyway if she didn't have the job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top