Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 11:59:07 AM EDT
ok Ladies, besides Shooting what are some of the hobbies that you enjoy? I enjoy about 5-6 hobbies, and I'm trying to find something that the wife might enjoy doing to keep her off my back while I'm spending time with mine! We do a lot of things together, but I'm hoping to get a little more quiet time for my hobbies.

So what are some of the things you gals do while the husband/boyfriend is busy with woodworking or working on the project car or drinking beer while watching football

Also (again other than shooting) are there any hobbies you enjoy together?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have a high paying job? If so, you might get her into quilting/sewing.  When QS and I were first married and relatively broke, I baked a lot and became pretty good in the kitchen.  Its hard to suggest hobbies though without knowing more about her.  For instance, I'm not a "joiner" per se, so I like to quilt because its something I can do without others.  If she's a real social person, she might like something like scrapbooking where they have cropping parties and such.  Tell us more about her! (Oh, and you can have her join here and then you may never hear from her again! )
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:51:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:41:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Its hard to suggest hobbies though without knowing more about her.... Tell us more about her! (Oh, and you can have her join here and then you may never hear from her again! )

Fair enough! She's a Girly-Girl on the outside, but a tomboy on the inside (in her mind). She has champagne tastes, shops at Nordstroms and bloomingdales, etc. She is into our house as far as decorating and such (Which ALWAYS requires me to do something ie hanging pictures, insalling this and that); our home looks right out of better homes and gardens. She likes to have attention, and always needs to have people experience things with her (part of my problem). Talks to her mom constantly, at least once a day. She's into fitness (we just joined up at the neighborhood gym since moving last year), actually has a degree in Kinesiology(sp?) from the University of Maryland. She'll shoot with me on occasion, but only really to apease me. She used to ride with me when I had my bike (she genuinely lliked that). Originally from South Carolina, with all the southern charm and values that come with. She's tried a couple hobbies such as knitting, piano, "stained-glass", but none have really stuck. She just gets bored if she doesn't pick it up right away.

I hope that gives enough background.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Other than shooting...

Outdoor - Dirt Biking, Hiking, Camping - prefer primitive, Photography - landscape, tomb stones (don't ask), Roller blading or running, and just started rock climbing, oh, and drinking beer

Indoor - Home improvement projects - painting, pergo floor, swapping fixtures, etc., Art - painting, drawing, Photography (this may be a good one for her), Writing songs/poetry, singing, oh, and drinking beer

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#5]
arfcom

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
arfcom

+1

and HOLY CRAP!! She does kinesiology?? I'd never heard of it until BRFs chiropractor used it to let us know that we were using the wrong formula for our son right after we moved here.  We live in SC...if you guys make a trip here, DEFINATLY let us know, we can all get together to have fun, and she can entertain me with the kinesiology!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:02:54 PM EDT
[#8]
It sounds like she really might do well at scrapbooking (it really is an artform and if she likes interior stuff, tell her to image the page as a blank wall and that should get her going!).  There are a million ways to go with that and it can be classy, homey or just plain funky and there are a million scrapbooking clubs out there.  Our library hosts "cropping parties" for a club all the time.  Photography (as mentioned by Sig_Ziggy) is another wonderful art that can be incorporated into the scrapbooking.  The thing is, if you try to get her started in that and she doesn't like it, there's a lot of money down the tubes.  Maybe you can hire her out as an interior designer?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
arfcom

She wouldnt be able to put up with Sgtar15 for 5min... "A woman's plance is in the kitchen" wouldn't fly!

Quoted:
Photography (this may be a good one for her)

I tried this one a couple years ago. Bought her the books, an 35mm SLR camera and the lenses. In the end she just wanted me to get her a easy point-n-shoot digital At least it didnt go to waste; I shoot with it on a regular basis.

Quoted:
Wow she sounds like a wonderful woman.  What's she on?  I can use some of it!

Thanks, she is. As far as I know nothing, except the sauce on occasion

Quoted:
and HOLY CRAP!! She does kinesiology?? I'd never heard of it until BRFs chiropractor used it to let us know that we were using the wrong formula for our son right after we moved here.  We live in SC...if you guys make a trip here, DEFINATLY let us know, we can all get together to have fun, and she can entertain me with the kinesiology!!

Kinesiology as entertainment? I missed something.

Quoted:
It sounds like she really might do well at scrapbooking (it really is an artform and if she likes interior stuff, tell her to image the page as a blank wall and that should get her going!).  There are a million ways to go with that and it can be classy, homey or just plain funky and there are a million scrapbooking clubs out there.  Our library hosts "cropping parties" for a club all the time.  Photography (as mentioned by Sig_Ziggy) is another wonderful art that can be incorporated into the scrapbooking.  The thing is, if you try to get her started in that and she doesn't like it, there's a lot of money down the tubes.  Maybe you can hire her out as an interior designer?

Hmmm.... we do have a lot of photos that she might want to organize if provoked. Maybe I'll suggest the scrapbook thing tomorrow when we are out running errands. The interior designer is an idea she had, decorating other people's houses on their budget. Maybe I should push her a little more to pursue it! Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Gardening is my main hobby. From indoor plants (my favorite group are the gesneriads, many foliage types plus flowers),  and onto the outdoors- vegetable gardening and edible landscaping. Flower gardening is a classic ladies pursuit.  A beautiful garden to complement a beautiful home might appeal.

Seed/plant catalogs are mailing right now :)  There are public and private gardens to visit, plant societies to join for lectures series, etc.  I'm not much of a joiner but do belong to a plant society...attend most of the meetings now...

Sewing is my other main hobby. Have computer program to generate patterns that *fit*, make some of my favorite clothing, plus items for the home.

Cooking is a lifetime 'hobby', I'm a foodie!

Mr Gwen's favorite hobby is golf, which does not appeal to me at all, but many couples enjoy it together.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:18:13 PM EDT
[#11]
If she is going to do scrap booking, home decore, clothing, framework....
Go buy her an embroidery machine! take her down to the local shop and show her what it does. And the amazing different brands.
fantastic for someone who has lots of interests. They have a computer program that hooks up to the comp and downloads designs from the net onto a card in the reciever. then, she merely sticks the card into her embroidery machine and creates! No moving the fabric, no nothing. It does it all and is fun to watch it create.
It is easy. the machine tells her when to change threads what colors etc.,..
I have over 60,000 designs all downloaded free. I will be happy to share and email them to her, if she is interested.
Harley designs, shooting designs, kitchen, home, kids,[even the macy's logo!] EVERYTHING!
Ya can't get bored!!!!
Sounds like a great woman!
Joyce
Ps- Sgtar DOES NOT keep me in the kitchen, but does make me laugh everytime I see that!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:41:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Cooking, Stripping, Photography, Candle making.

These are the things that all women should know!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:20:36 PM EDT
[#13]

And if a man doesn't tell us what we need to know, he will get it all PLUS!!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:37:53 PM EDT
[#14]
have her take a class in painting/pottery/stripping/sewing or whatever shes interested in at the local community college.
so she learns something new, hopefully has some fun, and gets out of your hair for a few hours a week.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:58:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Scrapbooking, painting, and writing are at the top of my list. Did she play a musical instrument as a child? If she gave it up, she can start over.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:50:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I do sewing,embroidery,counted cross stitch,shooting,cooking,baking,reading. My hobbies are all transportable. So if we do the 4-wheeling (built up 4x4) I usually bring a book with me since sometimes we are in spots I can't get out of the rig. If my husband is doing pattern flying(model airplane acrobatics) then I can bring a variety with me. When he does competitions  then I have the motorhome so I can pack my serger and my sewing machine. This year I will be working with my younger cocker on agility training. One of my friends didn't think I had my own hobbies until I pointed out all my hobbies are transportable so I can do them anywhere. She really might like the decorating idea too. There are so many classes she can take on different things. Until she tries some,she won't know whether she'll like it. Now if all of us women lived closer we could all share our hobbies.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:01:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Personally when I get some free time I like to read!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:40:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Wow! Thanks for the responses! I'm going to look into the embroidery machine, I didnt realize that you could hook it up to a computer and let it go! That sounds easy and might work.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#19]
It sounds like her hobby is hubby!!!

What about parenting?

That may take up more of her time than you'd prefer though...kind of like, all of it...
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:21:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Wow! Thanks for the responses! I'm going to look into the embroidery machine, I didnt realize that you could hook it up to a computer and let it go! That sounds easy and might work.

Thank you!

I have an embroidery machine that I have yet to completely figure out, so beware!  I can do the stock designs but when it comes to creating my own using the software, I have yet to figure it out. (But then, I haven't been able to go the classes they offered when I got my machine, either!)  If she doesn't like sewing in general, this may not be the way to go.  Also remember that the machines can be pricey and you have to pay for each of the designs unless she can figure out how to make her own.  There is also the additional costs of thread which may not seem like much, but can certainly add up.  My new machine with software to make your own designs was about $3000, but I use it more for general sewing and quilting.  I think I got about 10 stock designs with the machine and have had to buy the rest.  Anyway, just do your homework before you drop a huge amount of cash on something that she might not like.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:29:37 PM EDT
[#21]
+1 for stripping (I didn't know they offered Stripping S111 at the community college?)
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 2:53:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

What about parenting?

That may take up more of her time than you'd prefer though...kind of like, all of it...

Awww, tooo sweet.... we have been talking about the parenting thing. Although we aren't "trying" we aren't avoiding it either. We are still debating a little on certain details about how we would raise a child. But im confident it will all happen when it happens and we'll figure everything out as we go along.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#23]
kinesiology...using methods of like touching certain parts of the body and other things to figure things out? (sorry for the poor explanation, I'm not sure of the exactness of it lol) but right?? that stuff is cool to me, I'd like to see what all can be figured out
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 4:05:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Also remember that the machines can be pricey and you have to pay for each of the designs unless she can figure out how to make her own.

No I got all mine off the net,...FREE! 60,000 of them!
It took some time find sites etc.,.. but I would be happy to share with you if you like

And, I did get my machine used for 400.00. It came with the writer card to transfer them from the net to the machine.
There are many way to cut costs. The threads whcih cost upwards of 4.99 in the stores, cost only 2.99 at www.fabric.com
I have found the fabrics there on sale that are fantastically cut below retail. 30-50% off on their sales page.
I do have the program where you can design your own, but after the 60,000 I got free on the net, I never found the need to design my own.
I did try once, but couldn't understand. the new program of 5.0 or up is supposed to be much easier and self explanatory.
It really has been cheap for me, and has paid for itself thru decore, gifts, base ball hats, pillows, etc.,...

I do agree,...if she doesn't like creating, it is not for her. On a sewing machine, you have to sit and turn fabrics and feed them thru. Embroidery machines , you don't have to do that. There is some prep, and changing colors when the machine says, but other than that, you sit back and let it happen.
Good luck,
Joyce
PS- let me know if you want me to share thsoe designs. One of the sites is
www.annthegran.com/free_designs_frameset.htm Enjoy!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quilting, Sewing, Quilting, Needlework (needlepoint,knitting, crochet, or embroidery), Quilting, gardening, and oh, did I mention quilting?    {can you tell I have a favorite hobby?}
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

What about parenting?

+1 It will definitely take up a lot of her time, but is COMPLETELY worth every second. My son is my hobby; not much time for anything else.
--Kim
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:06:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
+1 for stripping (I didn't know they offered Stripping S111 at the community college?)

QS -- thats just one of the benefits of liberals running the school systems
just kidding -- i dont know of any colleges that offer this course, although ive heard of some gyms that do as a way to work out.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:23:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:04:50 AM EDT
[#29]
If she's an attention hound, you might urge her to get into the Community Theater in your area.  There's tons of them around, just check out the internet.  There's no pay involved, it's all volunteer, but it's lots of fun, and a great creative outlet.  And she'll get tremendous highs from the adrenaline rush of being on stage.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#30]
I know a woman kind of like you describe your wife.  She works at a girls camp in the summers on their newsletter... she also like to go to Bible studies and participate in church fundraisers, the quintessential belle.  

My hobbies:  reading, puzzles, painting, with a whole litany of wish I could hobbies including wood carving, sculpting, precious metal clays, etc.  Felting is said to be an easy crafting hobby, but I bet she'd be great at organizing fundraising banquets and fashion shows for charities.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
If she's an attention hound, you might urge her to get into the Community Theater in your area.  There's tons of them around, just check out the internet.  There's no pay involved, it's all volunteer, but it's lots of fun, and a great creative outlet.  And she'll get tremendous highs from the adrenaline rush of being on stage.

Damn I'd love this!! She used work as a dancer for an entertainment company (not THAT kind ) and was asked to try out for the Baltimore Ravens Cheerleaders while at UMD.

I also did some high school drama a long time ago
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
kinesiology...using methods of like touching certain parts of the body and other things to figure things out? (sorry for the poor explanation, I'm not sure of the exactness of it lol) but right?? that stuff is cool to me, I'd like to see what all can be figured out

Kinesiology is the Study of Human Movement, The Physics behind the human body. I've never heard of it referred to as a massage treatment of sorts, I'm gonna have to look into it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Its hard to suggest hobbies though without knowing more about her.... Tell us more about her! (Oh, and you can have her join here and then you may never hear from her again! )

Fair enough! She's a Girly-Girl on the outside, but a tomboy on the inside (in her mind). She has champagne tastes, shops at Nordstroms and bloomingdales, etc. She is into our house as far as decorating and such (Which ALWAYS requires me to do something ie hanging pictures, insalling this and that); our home looks right out of better homes and gardens. She likes to have attention, and always needs to have people experience things with her (part of my problem). Talks to her mom constantly, at least once a day. She's into fitness (we just joined up at the neighborhood gym since moving last year), actually has a degree in Kinesiology(sp?) from the University of Maryland. She'll shoot with me on occasion, but only really to apease me. She used to ride with me when I had my bike (she genuinely lliked that). Originally from South Carolina, with all the southern charm and values that come with. She's tried a couple hobbies such as knitting, piano, "stained-glass", but none have really stuck. She just gets bored if she doesn't pick it up right away.

I hope that gives enough background.

Hey, she sounds a lot like me -- where in VA are you, just tell her to drop by my place and we'll go shopping or something.  I could use more girlfriends.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#34]
What about home brewing beer?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
What about home brewing beer?

Now how come when it's my hobby, people say it's a problem?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:08:45 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn I'd love this!! She used work as a dancer for an entertainment company (not THAT kind ) and was asked to try out for the Baltimore Ravens Cheerleaders while at UMD.

I also did some high school drama a long time ago

It's very fun.  I've even gotten some paying gigs and commercials out of it. No SAG card, yet, but working towards it!
Another cool thing is maybe Adult Education at one of the nearby colleges?  At the one here in Boston, we can take anything from Watercolor painting, to guitar lessons, to photography, and my personal favorite, Bellydancing!  I took that for 2 semesters!
Great for your abs!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Do you have a high paying job? ht)

I used to get so frustrated when my bf spent time on arfcom, but I got interested and now he has to try to get me to log off to talk to him!!! My, how the tables turn.  I really enjoy baking--trying new recipes out and whatnot.  I love to read, as well.  I want to learn how to quilt.  Maybe she and her friends could start a movie night--just the gals, a good movie, everyone bring some sort of food, and some cold beverages.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:53:11 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

And if a man doesn't tell us what we need to know, he will get it all PLUS!!!hr

+1!!!!  When you start expecting it, that's when it stops
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:58:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And if a man doesn't tell us what we need to know, he will get it all PLUS!!!

+1!!!!  When you start expecting it, that's when it stops

May I  add,.. I can not take credit for the quote....

Just clarifying for the others....
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
ok Ladies, besides Shooting what are some of the hobbies that you enjoy? I enjoy about 5-6 hobbies, and I'm trying to find something that the wife might enjoy doing to keep her off my back while I'm spending time with mine! We do a lot of things together, but I'm hoping to get a little more quiet time for my hobbies.

So what are some of the things you gals do while the husband/boyfriend is busy with woodworking or working on the project car or drinking beer while watching football

Also (again other than shooting) are there any hobbies you enjoy together?

how about scrapbooking?  I am not into it but I know many are
or genealogy?(ok that i used to do before kid #2)
Link Posted: 1/13/2005 5:31:01 AM EDT
[#41]
TENNIS!! Girly but competitive and tough. She'll get some socializing, fitness and competition out of it. Get her some lessons at the local public courts or club. Once she gets that tennis bug, she'll be plenty occupied, the next thread you'll be posting is "How Do I Get My Wife To Spend Time With Me?"her

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top