Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2002 12:32:22 PM EDT
Anyone in the San Francisco area see that? Or better yet, know what the fuss was about?

At about 1pm I counted 4 F-15s hauling a$$ a couple minutes apart real low over the city (I am in a Financial District building, they were very low, my co-worker's son saw them out in the Richmond district, he said they were so low he could read their markings) heading out towards the ocean. Definitely not a casual patrol type, more like these guys were in a terrific hurry.

I know it is a long shot, but anyone know what's up?

Madkiwi
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#1]
You only have to worry about the black helicopters. [:)]
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 12:49:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmm, that happened over Portland, Or in January I think it is. 2 groups of 2 f-15's. The Loacal Air T.C. Lost a small plane that was headed towards Portland, and they were worried about where it was headed. . . the f-15's were scrambled to find it.

I'd guess it was something along those lines, or an aircraft that wasn't responding, etc.

-Justin

(P.S. Either that or a doughnut shop at the beach was having a sale and the cops borrowed f-15's to get here whiel they where fresh! :D.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Any baseball games in town today?
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You only have to worry about the black helicopters. [:)]
View Quote

and Art Bell will be flying one of those black helicopters.

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/aircraft2/pavehawka.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 1:01:31 PM EDT
[#5]
You people aren't paying the "soda tax" and this is retribution.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Just figured it out (maybe).

S.F. Giants are having their opening home game this afternoon, so maybe they were doing a stadium fly-by for the festivities.

Damn. I am always hoping for something exciting to happen.

Madkiwi
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Does the military get compensated for sporting event flyovers?  
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Few month ago I was in LA. The big foot ball game was on at USC. I was in a industrial area not far from downtown. Some F-18 flew right over our head. So low it could have been less than 1,000 feet. My ear was ringing for a while after that.
They are doing flyby for the game.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes it's called public relations..........
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#10]
They were heading to Yankee Stadium first game today......JOKE,,,
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 2:01:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Were they flying in the Lousy Team formation?
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 2:22:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Then that is a big fat [size=6][red]NO.[/red][/size=6]
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Advertising for the military just as the blimps are for their various sponsors.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hmm, that happened over Portland, Or in January I think it is. 2 groups of 2 f-15's. The Loacal Air T.C. Lost a small plane that was headed towards Portland, and they were worried about where it was headed. . . the f-15's were scrambled to find it.

I'd guess it was something along those lines, or an aircraft that wasn't responding, etc.

-Justin

(P.S. Either that or a doughnut shop at the beach was having a sale and the cops borrowed f-15's to get here whiel they where fresh! :D.
View Quote

Something happened during the week of thanksgiving. I was going home to California from Portland. We had just closed the door to our plane and we were taxi'ing(sp?) to the runway. We stopped and the captain came on line and told us we were told by the tower to hold while six F-15's were scrambling. The F-15's got priority over about a dozen planes waiting to use the runway. It was sweet watching those F-15's using their afterburners to take off.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:46:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Earlier this week I saw two aircraft heading east towards Milwaukee in loose formation.  It was nighttime, and they were low enough that I could just distinguish the individual nav lights.  They had to be military, two aircraft about 300 yards apart, and they were weaving about a little too.  I thought they might be hercs (see multiple Hercules formations once in awhile around here flying low and slow), but then they kicked it up a notch and were gone, fast.  Pretty neato.  Like the rest of us, I wondered if something was up or what kind of mission they were on.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I was standing on the corner of California and Divisidaro when they did their flyby. I heard them first then saw them come back into formation. After the second flyby they left and I found out that it was for the Giants opening home game.

BTW they were F/A-18 Hornets. Beutiful jets.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:55:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 4:56:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Then that is a big fat [size=6][red]NO.[/red][/size=6]
View Quote

How do you define "compensation"?

Strictly cash?

Free advertising?

Generating support for the military from those of us who fund them, ie taxpayers?

Getting young people interested and excited about enlisting in the military?

As far as I am concerned, the military and every other function of government are "compensated" every payday when a portion of my earnings is taken to support them. I'll be damned if I have to pay extra just to watch them fly over.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#20]
You know how much it cost to keep these fighters up in the air.  Ever think how many hours it takes in maintenance to keep these planes in the air for one hour?  A LOT. Some cities now have air caps and that is costing millions every day.  I was wondering if the sporting event pays the military for the flyovers.  If not, then should they be doing flyovers now?  
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 7:15:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Justin

View Quote

Something happened during the week of thanksgiving. I was going home to California from Portland. We had just closed the door to our plane and we were taxi'ing(sp?) to the runway. We stopped and the captain came on line and told us we were told by the tower to hold while six F-15's were scrambling. The F-15's got priority over about a dozen planes waiting to use the runway. It was sweet watching those F-15's using their afterburners to take off.
View Quote

I think that one was the Hawaiian Air bomb threat.  IIRC, some moron wanted to delay the plane because his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend was on it, and he was hoping to prevent them from getting together.
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You know how much it cost to keep these fighters up in the air.  Ever think how many hours it takes in maintenance to keep these planes in the air for one hour?  A LOT. Some cities now have air caps and that is costing millions every day.  I was wondering if the sporting event pays the military for the flyovers.  If not, then should they be doing flyovers now?  
View Quote

I thought they cut out the CAP's every where except DC, earlier this month.

No the military doesn't gey "payed" to fly over sporting events, unless you count the 50,000 or so tax payers that are there.

The military also likes to do that stuff to show off the equipment and possibly help recruitment. It also allows military equipment to be viewed in a non-threataning arena, so all the "peace-nicks" don't neccesarily get all worked up the next time the see a HMMV.

In the past many units have had to struggle to keep their flying hours up, to maintain proficiency. So any excuse to get a plane in the air is probably a good excuse as far as the pilots and crew are concerned. (like having a gun you never get to shoot.......hey I know when I could shoot it......)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top