Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2002 9:28:40 AM EDT
Hey,

Tomarrow I have a "meeting" with a Lt. whom is the head of my county Sharrif department's "Tactical Negotations team."[50]  He is planning on asking me a series of questions. [uzi] -My question is, does this sound like maybe I should be wearing body armor:-).[peep]

:-D.

He meeting with me to sign my ATF form 4.                                           [beer] When I heard what Department he was in, I found it rather. . . interesting. . .[shock]. Gonna intimidate me into beign truthful I guess [stick].

I'm prety stoked:-P.

-Justin
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe he just wants to talk toys. Give us a follow up report.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:35:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, but this is pure BS. All your CLEO needs to sign off on is that you are legal to own an NFA item. If this is true you should simply verify your ID and tell him to either have your CLEO sign off or you'll get a writ of mandamus which simply forces him to do his friggin job. Personal interviews are not called for to get a form 4 CLEO signoff. [pyro]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I just went through this awhile back.  I meet with the CLEO and he asked if I could come in and talk to him.  He asked me why I wanted an M16, and I told him that I wanted one for my collection.  I think he just wanted to see what I was like.  He wanted to know if I knew the ramifications of using the gun in a improper manner, more specifically, he wanted to know if I knew what I was talking about.  I chatted with him for about 10 min, then he signed off on the forms and I was on my way.  I would not worry about it.

Edit:  He never checked my ID.  Which I thought was interesting.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:20:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:39:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow! Hey, now. . .

1st, I do appreciate the advice. It is very helpful for others reading like I was, who are in other counties/states where a CLEO signoff is a problem.

Fortunatly for me, my county (and Sherrif's Dept) is VERY pro-NFA stuff, and they sign off these things left and right. He said it should take about 10 minuits. He said he'll wanna see my I.D., ask me a couple off the questions that are on the form, and ask me if I'm planning on doing anything unlawful with it. Then he signs, we shake hands, and say "see ya next time."

He was very nice, and I look forward to meeting him. I origionally called the county Sherrif, and he refered me to this guy, his LT, whom he says now handles CLOE sign-offs to take the load off him. Both are very nice and proffessional, as well as pro-gun. That's why I voted for teh Sherrif, and why I refeuse to move out of the county.

I also know many of the Sherrif Deputies have their own NFA items, as I see them in some of the local gunshops frequently.

I found it very interesting though, when I was refered to this guy, I was thinking he would be a paper pusher or something:-).  

Thanks!

-Justin

P.S. Maybe info like Darkhelmets could be intered into a FAQ or stick here or in the class III forumn. I have seen many people post abuot not being able to get an CLEO sign-off. I'f I moved a mile east, I'd be in the same boat.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:01:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I too am having problems with a CLEO signoff. I am interested in buying my first class 3 item, I used to live in IL.

I moved to WI, got setteled in and BAM! Walworth county does not allow Class 3.

City CLEO will not sign, county sherrif will not sign, it's VERY fustrating!

Av.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:34:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm told that in Houston, Harris County Texas that no CLEO will sign one.

Anyone in Houston have any luck with someone besides HPD or Harris County Sheriff?

I wonder if Constables will sign?

I am wondering now if my FFL application will get signed.....
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I say look at it as a chance to interview him.

Ya might have more in common that you think.

Congratulation [beer]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:55:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 12:51:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Just wear the body armor and bring a videorecorder to get his reponse to your responses. [;)]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:18:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
All your NFA Questions answered here:

[url]http://www.titleii.com/[/url]

and

[url]http://www.titleii.com/Bardwell/index.html[/url]

Info about the CLEO Signoff Lawsuit:

[url]http://www.titleii.com/Bardwell/index-7.html[/url]
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#12]
You don't indicate what county you are in, but from your second post, I'll assume it's not Multnomah or Lane. If you're in Coos county, give me a shout, and we'll pop some caps sometime. Lots of class III folks in Oregon....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top