Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 4/4/2006 8:14:52 AM EDT
One of my friends died yesterday. I want to go to the funeral but I have a family reunion on Friday.

My problem is I have to fly weird legs.

DEN->PIT wed or thurs morning and then PIT->LNK (or OMA) Friday

I just cant afford the $550 that Orbitz wants.

Is there a better site for last minute travel?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:16:43 AM EDT
Call the airline and tell them it's for a funeral. They'll have ways around the last minute charges. And OMA will most likely be cheaper, there's a bus service that runs between the airports.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:18:55 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:
Call the airline and tell them it's for a funeral. They'll have ways around the last minute charges.

I've had several folks tell me that telling them it's for a funeral is the LAST thing you want to do, as they jack up the rate to take advantage of your grief. YMMV
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:19:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:20:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By spartacus2002:

Call the airline and tell them it's for a funeral. They'll have ways around the last minute charges.

I've had several folks tell me that telling them it's for a funeral is the LAST thing you want to do, as they jack up the rate to take advantage of your grief. YMMV

that'd be pretty fucked up right there.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:24:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 8:25:15 AM EDT by xanadu]

Originally Posted By 50cal:
You will need a death certificate to get the refund. Very doubtful you can get away cheap on short notice.

I don't think that's correct.

Call the airline, thell them that you have to attend a funeral and ask if they offer a berevement fare. Most will ask for a copy of the Obit. at check in. Some will not ask for anything.

Be honest and polite.

ETA - ORBITZ SUCKS COCK - Go direct to the airlines in this case, and in the future, use travelocity or the airlines own website.

X
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:25:19 AM EDT
When my dad passed away I called an airline, gave them the # of the mortuary and a contact name and they issued me a ticket at the rate I would have been charged if I had called ahead of time on a normal flight. Wasn't "cheap" but it was not at the "Show up at the last minute and bend over" price either.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:25:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 8:26:11 AM EDT by twonami]
lots of assholes take advantage of airlines that offer this fare without proof.
Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:03:52 AM EDT
Southwest has good one way fares and round trip.
Also check the back of you papers for people that buy points. Used to be able to get round trip for around 250 or so.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:07:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By twonami:
lots of assholes take advantage of airlines that offer this fare without proof.
Sorry for your loss.

When my wife's grandfather died, I tried to get her a ticket on American and they wouldn't budge at all.

Sorry to hear of the loss TheAvatar9625ft.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:05:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 12:07:04 PM EDT by BillofRights]

Originally Posted By xanadu:

Originally Posted By 50cal:
You will need a death certificate to get the refund. Very doubtful you can get away cheap on short notice.

I don't think that's correct.

Call the airline, thell them that you have to attend a funeral and ask if they offer a berevement fare. Most will ask for a copy of the Obit. at check in. Some will not ask for anything.

Be honest and polite.

X

This is correct. Call all the airlines, be sure to ask them what proof you might need. Not sure if maybe it only applies to family members?

On the plus side, $550.00 is still cheaper than it would have been 15 years ago.

Sorry I can't help more. Don't get any "buddy passes" these days.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:13:35 PM EDT
Thanks folks

OK Orbitz does officially suck.

Direct purchase from Airtran DEN->PIT $273
Direct purchase from SWA PIT->MDW $108 (family to drive me to NE)

$381 way better than the $550-$650 that Orbitz had

More reasonable, no bereavment fares.

Now what about hotels? Where can I find cheap hotels since Orbitz is t3h suck?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:16:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By spartacus2002:

I got half off with united last year because it was last minute for a funeral. They ask for funeral home info, the name of the deceased and the phone number. Funeral director, also. Couldn't get anywhere near that price with anyone else. Some airlines have stopped offering emergency fares.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:53:23 PM EDT
do the same thing then. Use them or expedia to find hotels that have rooms then call them directly about booking.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:57:15 PM EDT
I priced some last minute tickets on Hotwire about a month ago... trip didn't work out, but I was pleasantly surprised at the prices. Might give them a look.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:18:21 PM EDT
Maybe priceline, I flew kind of last minute and found what they were looking for by picking a day 14+ out and if it was reasonable I offered it. Got me into Wyoming for the 'standard' rate of ~$300 instead of the $1400 that the airline offered.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:27:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:42:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:55:40 PM EDT
go directly through the airlines... sites like orbits and hotwire have always been quite a bit more for me in the past... on my last trip to WA state from CA orbits was 130 more for the same damned fare i got quoted from the airlines site.

Top Top