Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/22/2005 12:34:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/22/2005 12:37:09 AM EDT by luger355]
long story short. Mabey its an early mid life thing who knows.....

Anyway,Got tired of killing myself on a daily basis year after year as a production welder. Shitty pay, back breaking work,unsavory people, unhealthhy and hazardous working conditions bla bla bla.

So decided to go back to school and get edumakated. I NEVER want to see the inside of a factory again. SO I done did some thinking,talking and web searching. I have signed up at the local community college for a rad tec degree.

Im pretty much starting from scratch. Re-learning everything. Thank goodness the family is 1000% supportive in this and money at this point isnt to much of a worry. It all sounds pretty decent (exept mabey for the barrium enema's )

Any of you folks got any experience or advice on this. Or career changes in general ?

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:39:02 AM EDT
Where I live at least rad techs don't make as good as most welders. Of course learning a specialty in rad tech, like nuke med, can shoot your check through the roof.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:40:01 AM EDT
Its never too late to change.

Good for you, and good that your family is supportive.


Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:43:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dusty_C:
Where I live at least rad techs don't make as good as most welders. Of course learning a specialty in rad tech, like nuke med, can shoot your check through the roof.



after 10 years in the biz i was only just making 30k (with ot) as a welder. I figure it cant be any worse than that.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:47:23 AM EDT
I used to make about 22k in a steel shop doing layout and welding. Rad techs here start at about 9 an hour. But this is Arkansas, 95% of jobs pay way low. The other 5% pay way high.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:06:27 AM EDT
It's a good field. Best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:32:41 AM EDT
hey luger355,
forget rad tech, go for the big bananas. become a radiologist. thats where the bucks are. probably only a 2 more years of school.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:04:34 AM EDT
luger355

I'm in school for rad tech right now and I should graduate with a B.S. degree in May of 2006. I did it as a second career after 10 years as a LEO. The pay is decent, but it gets better if you specialize in an advanced modality like CT, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, or Radiation Therapy. I'm specializing in MRI and I already have an job lined up for when I graduate.

Feel free to IM or email me with any specific questions you have.

IBGW2112
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:06:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By R0ME0:
hey luger355,
forget rad tech, go for the big bananas. become a radiologist. thats where the bucks are. probably only a 2 more years of school.

Uh, rad tech is a bachelors. Can be done in 3 years, 2 if you clep out of some classes. Radiologists are MD's try about 10 years or more
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:12:12 AM EDT
DIDNT KNOW THAT, HAD A GIRLFRIEND THAT DID TWO MORE YEARS AFTER HER BACHELORS AT UCLA AND BECAME A RADIOLOGIST. STRANGE, MUST HAVE BEEN IN SOME KIND OF PROGRAM. SORRY FOR THE MISINFORMATION. MY HUMBLE APOLOGIES.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:41:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By R0ME0:
DIDNT KNOW THAT, HAD A GIRLFRIEND THAT DID TWO MORE YEARS AFTER HER BACHELORS AT UCLA AND BECAME A RADIOLOGIST. STRANGE, MUST HAVE BEEN IN SOME KIND OF PROGRAM. SORRY FOR THE MISINFORMATION. MY HUMBLE APOLOGIES.



D'OH !

Nothing like giving up your troll account one post later !


Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:02:17 AM EDT
very interesting, anybody know of any place to look for scholarships and what?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:24:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By R0ME0:
hey luger355,
forget rad tech, go for the big bananas. become a radiologist. thats where the bucks are. probably only a 2 more years of school.



As mentioned earlier, after a 4 year college degree, and a 4 year medical scool degree, you can become a radiologist by doing another minimum 4 year residency, and 1 or 2 more years if you want to further specialize in some specific areas., but the final year or two is optional.
Top Top