Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 1:07:55 PM EDT
Other than those annoying commercials, anyone have any good or bad input to offer re Geico insurance? They're quoting a significantly cheaper price for auto insurance for wife and me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't have a radar detector, do you?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Nope. EMT plates and a paramedic parking sticker. Why?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:16:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been with the company for 25 years, they've always sent my renewal notices on time, that reminds me. I've got to renew. I've never had accident claim with them so I don't know about their claims service.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone have any solid links / quotes about their supposed LLLiberal affiliations?

They're on the NRA's Anti-Gun Corps list, and I've read many posts on firearms boards about having difficulty with GEICO because they have firearms in their homes.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:21:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Other than those annoying commercials, anyone have any good or bad input to offer re Geico insurance? They're quoting a significantly cheaper price for auto insurance for wife and me.

I have had GEICO for about five years.  I have had claims, etc.   No problems at all.  The people on the phone are very helpful.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#6]
not only no,butt hell no.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:24:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I had an accident claim with them a couple years ago, had no issues with them. They paid out without a peep. I recently switched to esurance because they are significantly cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:25:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Elucidate? Lizard phobia?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Never needed to file a claim, but I have had no issues with them at all for car insurance, and everything has gone smoothly.

I did call them about house insurance, and they don't directly offer homeowners' insurance, but they do affiliate with local carriers that do.  The guy I called got my location and told me the insurer for my area.  He then went through a bunch of questions to give me a quote.  I asked him about a rider for firearms, and he started asking me how they were stored.  It makes sense to ask whether they're in a safe, since that would make them less likely to be stolen, but he basically told me that unless all firearms were locked up and all ammo was locked up separately, that they would refuse to insure me.  I have a couple of guns loaded for self-defense, and that was a big no-no.  I guess they'd rather I was killed and my wife raped by a burglar than risk someone getting ahold of one of my guns and causing an accident.  Screw them.  Once I get around to it, I'm going to consolidate my car and homeowners' insurance with one company, and it ain't gonna be with Geico.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I had them quote coverage on my car last fall. They came in a few hundred higher than my current insurer, Amica.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:05:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I recently saved a ton of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico.

I was paying $75 every month with some no-name company. I switched to Geico after getting the same coverage for 4 payments of $45 every 6 months.

I'd have to be an idiot not to switch to them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Elucidate? Lizard phobia?

Commercials suck and they are not cheaper, if you have a good record ,try Travelers.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:17:38 PM EDT
[#13]
You guys use insurance?!
I switched to GEICO for my auto insurance about a year and a half ago, but I haven't had to use them for any claims.  Their customer service has been pretty darned good, though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:17:41 PM EDT
[#14]
No problems with GEICO other than too expensive. Recently switched to GMAC and saved 1200.00 a year.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I use Geico, and it's very inexpensive. I've heard if you get a ticket, they'll jack your rates way up. But I don't plan on getting caught.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had Geico for a while.  Every time I've called they've always been very friendly and helpful.  I've found them to be the cheapest as well.  No problems.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#17]
They have been awesome for me and my wife. Lower price and excellent customer service. When my car was stolen they originally tried to lowball me on the value, but in the end they gave me a very fair price.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:02:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Geico used to be the cheapest. Since Buffet bought them, they are not competitive. Check around if you own Geico, you may be surprised with another premium vendor. Also they spec non factory fenders for your repair and some of them suc.

M4-Ak
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:40:26 AM EDT
[#20]
My vote goes to USAA.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:43:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Just changed 3 vehicles last night from Geico to Progressive.  Saved me over 30%.  That's some nice moolah back in my pocket.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:48:43 AM EDT
[#22]
When it comes to fixing your car, they suck ( Progressive does too).
No matter what year of your vehicle, they will try their best to use aftermarket or used parts.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 7:50:13 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GEICO Bailed out a radar detector company that was gonna go under.

Read it & weep

For this speeding case, the prosecutor brought in an expert witness, who received payment for his testimony from the gun's maker, Laser Technology, Inc. This witness testified that the LTI 20-20 Marksman used the same technology developed in the NASA space program. The defendant had a lawyer, and that means there's a chance that a guilty verdict would be appealed to a higher court. If that higher court confirms the correctness of the trial court's verdict, that would establish judicial notice in all courts within that district.

When Maccarone went to see the prosecutor, he was told there would be no deals. "Just the way he treated me, it pissed me off. I thought, He wants a fight, he'll get a fight."

When the courtroom slugfest was over in June 1996, all of New Jersey's "GEICO guns"—so named to commemorate the $950,000 loan from auto-insurer GEICO that rescued cash-short Laser Technology in 1991, allowing it to complete the LTI 20-20 gun—were benched. Superior Court Judge Reginald Stanton ruled that the LTI 20-20 was inadmissible as evidence. Technically, the precedent knocks out GEICO guns only in Stanton's district, but the New Jersey State Police have stopped using laser guns all across the state while they search for a legal comeback strategy.

In the future, you can bet prosecutors will be careful not to piss off Joe Maccarone. Purely as a favor to his neighbor, he burned through $12,000 of his own billable time, rounded up three expert witnesses who would testify against the GEICO gun, put himself through tutoring so he could understand the technology, and tried the case, which amounted to five days of testimony over two weeks. He also was able to combine his neighbor's case with almost 200 other pending laser speeding cases and get the issue tried in Superior Court, not the lower traffic court. That way, if he won, precedent would be set barring laser. Joe Maccarone definitely knows how to get even.

Judge Stanton ruled against the GEICO gun for the simple reason that LTI couldn't prove that it works accurately. Police all across the country, it turns out, have been buying LTI 20-20s on nothing but LTI's word that they work as advertised. When finally pressed for test data to demonstrate that the device produces accurate readings in typical traffic situations, LTI could not prove its own claims.

GEICO is NOT your friend.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:47:05 PM EDT
[#24]
No complaints. Cheapest I could find, and excellent customer service.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Just changed 3 vehicles last night from Geico to Progressive.  Saved me over 30%.  That's some nice moolah back in my pocket.

Sweet. Jumped from the frying pan into the fire, LLLiberal-wise. Progressive's political track-record re guns is even worse.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Had them years ago.  Quick to adjust your rates up even in an accident which was the other party's fault.  So said the police report.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:32:03 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

GEICO Bailed out a radar detector company that was gonna go under.

Read it & weep

For this speeding case, the prosecutor brought in an expert witness, who received payment for his testimony from the gun's maker, Laser Technology, Inc. This witness testified that the LTI 20-20 Marksman used the same technology developed in the NASA space program. The defendant had a lawyer, and that means there's a chance that a guilty verdict would be appealed to a higher court. If that higher court confirms the correctness of the trial court's verdict, that would establish judicial notice in all courts within that district.

When Maccarone went to see the prosecutor, he was told there would be no deals. "Just the way he treated me, it pissed me off. I thought, He wants a fight, he'll get a fight."

When the courtroom slugfest was over in June 1996, all of New Jersey's "GEICO guns"—so named to commemorate the $950,000 loan from auto-insurer GEICO that rescued cash-short Laser Technology in 1991, allowing it to complete the LTI 20-20 gun—were benched. Superior Court Judge Reginald Stanton ruled that the LTI 20-20 was inadmissible as evidence. Technically, the precedent knocks out GEICO guns only in Stanton's district, but the New Jersey State Police have stopped using laser guns all across the state while they search for a legal comeback strategy.

In the future, you can bet prosecutors will be careful not to piss off Joe Maccarone. Purely as a favor to his neighbor, he burned through $12,000 of his own billable time, rounded up three expert witnesses who would testify against the GEICO gun, put himself through tutoring so he could understand the technology, and tried the case, which amounted to five days of testimony over two weeks. He also was able to combine his neighbor's case with almost 200 other pending laser speeding cases and get the issue tried in Superior Court, not the lower traffic court. That way, if he won, precedent would be set barring laser. Joe Maccarone definitely knows how to get even.

Judge Stanton ruled against the GEICO gun for the simple reason that LTI couldn't prove that it works accurately. Police all across the country, it turns out, have been buying LTI 20-20s on nothing but LTI's word that they work as advertised. When finally pressed for test data to demonstrate that the device produces accurate readings in typical traffic situations, LTI could not prove its own claims.

GEICO is NOT your friend.

Government Employe Insuerance  COmpany . What exactly do  you expect?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:55:03 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
My vote goes to USAA.

+1

I dont care if their rates are higher (Usually cheaper). Their service has ALWAYS been excellent, and they understand the military.

They have ZERO issues about insuring my guns too...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top