Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/1/2005 3:32:20 PM EDT
I called the place where I bought it, www.NewEgg.com, and they issued me a return number. They'll try to repair it first, otherwise I'll get a refund since they no longer stock this model (DW-D22A).

If I do end up back on the market, which brand/model does the Hive Mind suggest?

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:35:48 PM EDT
I get whatever the cheapest one is.

They seem to die out quick if used alot.

I got a Lite-on or some cheap one like that and its been better then the other ones I have owned.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:38:24 PM EDT
I've had Lite-On and NEC's crap out on me.

I have NEVER had a Plextor drive of ANY type die in service.

I just recently got rid of a couple of Plextor SCSI drives (reader and CD writer) that were 10 years old, slow as snot and still worked PERFECTLY.

I currently have 2 Plextor's in my desktop machine.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:42:13 PM EDT
Mine died at 4 months and NewEgg upgraded me with a slightly faster model since they no longer stocked mine. Newegg is about the best company I have ever dealt with.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:57:22 PM EDT
Plextor

I have my old Plextor CD-R burner and it still works after 8 years and hundreds of burned discs.

Only reason I retired it was because max recording speed was 4x and it was about time for me to upgrade to a DVD-RW. I repalced my old CD-R burner with another Plextor (PX-708A), and haven't had any problems with it.

You can help extend the service life of your burner by not useing it for playback. Just get an inexpensive DVD-ROM player and use that.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:00:06 PM EDT
I wish I could say that about Plextor.

Dennis Jenkins

Originally Posted By Airwolf:
I've had Lite-On and NEC's crap out on me.

I have NEVER had a Plextor drive of ANY type die in service.

I just recently got rid of a couple of Plextor SCSI drives (reader and CD writer) that were 10 years old, slow as snot and still worked PERFECTLY.

I currently have 2 Plextor's in my desktop machine.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:02:29 PM EDT
I have personally had nothing but bad experiences with Sony. The Sony name is so strong I continued to purchase Sony product after Sony product, but most of the time I end up disappointed. From 2 Sony wireless house telephones to a camcorder to a TV set, virtually every Sony product I have ever owned has shit the bed at some point.

I think Sony is past their prime.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:07:18 PM EDT
Try an Apex. Mine will play anything I throw in it and there isn't a cheaper player on the market.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:10:12 PM EDT
Try a Plextor next time, you definately wont be disappointed. Its the only brand of optical drive worthy enough to be in my computer.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:13:49 PM EDT
sony QC took a dump sometime prior to 01, imho.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:15:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By blair50:
Try an Apex. Mine will play anything I throw in it and there isn't a cheaper player on the market.

He's looking for a DVD burner, not a player (I wasn't aware that APEX made PC drives).

However, now that you mention it, my stand alone APEX DVD player is great... couldn't be happier about it.

Only paid something like $50.00 for it a few years ago and it does play anything you can feed it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:16:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2005 4:17:17 PM EDT by warlord]
I'm on my 3rd LIte-On DVD RW, so far so good. But I've used the hell-out of it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:16:55 PM EDT
I appreciate the responses, gentlemen.

Just checked NewEgg for Plextor prices and they're ~2x the cost of a comparable NEC or Lite-On. Probably because they're really not comparable.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:32:10 PM EDT
NEC
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:40:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By chuckhammer:

Just checked NewEgg for Plextor prices and they're ~2x the cost of a comparable NEC or Lite-On. Probably because they're really not comparable.

Here is a good analogy for you about DVD Burners, comparing them to AR-15's -

Plextor = Colt

NEC, Pioneer, Lite-on = Bushmaster

All others = ASA

You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:54:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:54:57 PM EDT
I like Lite-On and NEC. I have never bought a Plextor but thats just because I have had good luck with cheaper brands I guess.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:55:29 PM EDT
Never had problems with my LG dvd burner. Guess you can call it a lucky goldstar
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:58:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2005 9:01:13 PM EDT by Max_Mike]

Originally Posted By adair_usmc:

Originally Posted By chuckhammer:

Here is a good analogy for you about DVD Burners, comparing them to AR-15's -

Plextor = Colt

NEC, Pioneer, Lite-on = Bushmaster

All others = ASA

You get what you pay for.

I have see Plextor, Lite-On, NEC, Pioneer drives go down, but not many of any of them... I guess if you have more money than sense like the average Colt booster you might spend a lot more than you need to on a drive.

Plextor, Lite-On, NEC, Pioneer are ALL solid drives I would get the cheapest of the 4.

Unless you want to copy copy-protected games, if so get a Lite-On.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:33:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:01:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LoginName:
Plextor

I have my old Plextor CD-R burner and it still works after 8 years and hundreds of burned discs.

Only reason I retired it was because max recording speed was 4x and it was about time for me to upgrade to a DVD-RW. I repalced my old CD-R burner with another Plextor (PX-708A), and haven't had any problems with it.

You can help extend the service life of your burner by not useing it for playback. Just get an inexpensive DVD-ROM player and use that.

Plextor is all you will ever need. They have the burner market whipped.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:06:01 AM EDT
i have bought several plextor drives. all of them have been good drives but each of the drives ahve failed a couple weeks out of warranty.. i kid you not

most of the drives in my previous gateway computers have been NEC drives.. those have been ok.

my work computer has a LG 16X10X40. i've been at my current job for 3.5 years now.. i make update multisession cds daily. So the drive is used VERY frequently, this drive is still going..

al my home computers have had Lite-on drives. i have been very pleased with lite-on drives.

i would go with either LG or lite-on

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:39:30 PM EDT
New Egg sent me a replacement at no cost. It looks identical but carries a different model number, DW-Q22A.
Top Top