Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2005 1:01:10 PM EDT
What is the ARFCOM opinion on this? I was throwing around the idea of my parents and I getting it when we renew our phones next year.
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Not the Hive Mind!!

If you can find someone who has it, it is excellent and on par with the rest of Verizon's services, otherwise, if it's you and your parents, call them instead of wasting the money on a new phone and plan.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:03:28 PM EDT
[#2]
deej,

Not sure about the Verizon push-to-talk, but I've had Nextel before and it worked very well.  If Verizon's is anything like Nextel's, I'd recommend it.

HH
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:16:07 PM EDT
[#3]
It's nextel or nothing...........

Oh , I mean sprint
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:16:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Not the Hive Mind!!

If you can find someone who has it, it is excellent and on par with the rest of Verizon's services, otherwise, if it's you and your parents, call them instead of wasting the money on a new phone and plan.

The point is, it would be easier to get ahold of them, especially in an emergency.  

It's easier than trying to play phone tag.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Not the Hive Mind!!

The point is, it would be easier to get ahold of them, especially in an emergency.  

See, I never understood that argument, they still have to have a phone by them, you still have to go through a network, and both of you still have to have good reception. But the key to life is using the right tools for the right job, so go for it. My experience with the Verizon PTT was very positive, but my sprint service is way less expensive.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Not the Hive Mind!!

See, I never understood that argument, they still have to have a phone by them, you still have to go through a network, and both of you still have to have good reception. But the key to life is using the right tools for the right job, so go for it. My experience with the Verizon PTT was very positive, but my sprint service is way less expensive.

The other point is, Nextel is expensive, it's going to merge with Sprint(ugh), and there's a reason they call it No Tell.  You can't tell when it's going to work.  

ETA-they already have Verizon phones, it will be just easier to get a hold of them and talk to them because you can "direct connect" like Nextel.  

My dad has a Nextel for work.  The reception sucks, and their phones aren't made very well(my dad works as  a construction mechanic so that doesn't help much) but why get Nextel when you can stay in the same plan, network, company?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:45:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Any other opinions?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:19:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had it for approx. 2 months now and it works very well for me. Several family members and friends who also have the service. I've been using a Nextel for work for the past few years and Verizon's network seems to be much better, at least in SW PA.

Not a whole lot of phones available for the PTT but I hear more are coming out.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#9]
It has a usage limit on it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:22:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've had it for approx. 2 months now and it works very well for me. Several family members and friends who also have the service. I've been using a Nextel for work for the past few years and Verizon's network seems to be much better, at least in SW PA.

Not a whole lot of phones available for the PTT but I hear more are coming out.

Yeah, I noticed that.  There is a phone that is like the one I have(Kyocera KX414), a couple of flip phones, and a Motorola model.  The problem is the Motorola is a non-flip(which I like), but doesn't have "Get it now"-which I really don't need except for d-loading a ringtone when I get the phone.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Any other opinions?

People that use these things in public, like restaurants, are even more annoying than other cell phone users.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:42:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Any other opinions?

People that use these things in public, like restaurants, are even more annoying than other cell phone users.

One of the only downsides to it...if I am in a public place...

I also wonder if there is a switch to make it vibrate to get a PTT call?  Because I would hate to be in class(I am a community college student) and hear *beep beep*

ETA-that is the downside to the Nextels but I hear you can put the call on "private" so only YOU can hear the conversation.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#13]
our family has four nextel phones. all have the nation wide direct connect. use it more than the cellphones.

i have many friends that have it also

i think it is the way to go

just my .02

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:12:09 PM EDT
[#14]
In our area, the Notel service is down as much as it is up. Verizon works most all of th etime.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I have Nextel and it's the WORST piece of shit service.  You get half the service for twice the money.  I spend at least 50% of my time on the phone telling the person on the other end to repeat what they just said because it breaks up all the time.

Because of Nextel's poor service, everyone at work switched to Verizon with PTT, and beleive it or not, IT"S WORSE THAN NEXTEL!  They say the phone works pretty good, but the PTT feature is almost completely worthless.

This is in the Philadelphia area, so YMMV where you are.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have Nextel and it's the WORST piece of shit service.  You get half the service for twice the money.  I spend at least 50% of my time on the phone telling the person on the other end to repeat what they just said because it breaks up all the time.

Because of Nextel's poor service, everyone at work switched to Verizon with PTT, and beleive it or not, IT"S WORSE THAN NEXTEL!  They say the phone works pretty good, but the PTT feature is almost completely worthless.

This is in the Philadelphia area, so YMMV where you are.

I'm in Illinois(more specifically the Chicago area).  It's a new technology and I won't get it till probably next year, so there's probably time to get the "bugs" worked out.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I had verizon push to talk for over a year, and I never had the oppurtunity to try that feature because I didn't know anyone else who had it
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I live south of Pittsburgh and it works fine. In many parts of this rural county the Nextel work phone will not have any connection whereas the Verizon PTT works.

If you have manner mode on the phone will vibrate when someone is trying to PTT you instead of beeping.

As mentioned before, ask the locals which service works best in your area.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks guys.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#20]

I think 50% of the reason people like those things is becuase it makes them feel cool like they are talking on a CB or something. A 2 way phone conversation is much more practical and less confusing.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:25:37 PM EDT
[#21]
One thing with Nextel is you can switch to Direct Talk and use the phone like a walkie talkie (up to 6 miles they say) without being on a network.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:35:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I think 50% of the reason people like those things is becuase it makes them feel cool like they are talking on a CB or something. A 2 way phone conversation is much more practical and less confusing.

I'm in construction, and just about everybody in construction has Nextel.  The nice thing about PTT is that you don't get charged any minutes if you use it instead of making a phone call.  Trust me, you don't want to use up your minutes on the Nextel network because they're more than twice as expensive as most wireless plans.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top