Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/5/2003 8:20:10 PM EDT

Okay I'm not happy with what I've acomplished in life so far. Still living in a frickin apartment. But working on that.

How did you feel when you hit forty?

Depressed like your lfe was almost over.

OR

Did you become a child again (dreaming though).

Your input is welcomed.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#1]
old timers only huh?

damn, i'm 25, my arthritis is acting up

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Under 40.

Life is great...

HA!
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#3]
40 was no problemo...I went through life thinking that 35 was the turning point, so that b'day was a bit of a downer...not so much depression as uncertainty.  20 years later, I'm cool with my age.  I've always acted as a child, according to swmbo.  Lately I think I'm regressing.  Have a great birthday.

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:24:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Just checked again.

Still under 40-

Life is still great-

Nothing but blue sky ahead.

HA!
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I turn 43 tomorrow.

I also thought that I would never see 35 when I was younger.

When I hit 40, it was as if the warranty ran out [:)]

I was hospitalized for four weeks over a four month period in late 2000. Pretty serious.

Since then, life's been rough, but I'm glad to be here.

I bought a condo in 2001. I doubt I'll be here for the full 30 years of the loan's term, but I'll make the best of it.

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm so old I can't remember 40.

What was the question?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:31:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Just turned 48 in March. Do I wish I was 28 again? Yup. But 48 ain't bad.  Just married (my second her 1st) a great lady 10 yrs my junior. Her hobby is more expensive (horses) than mine so she can't bitch about what I spend on toys. She has no kids and mine are mostly grown so we have time to play.  Life is pretty good right now. Ask me again in 20 years
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a youngin, and I'm just posting to be a troll since you said old timers only.

On a serious note, I hope things get better. Forty isnt that old.

Just remember, when your at those pearly gates, there not going to be asking what good works and deeds you've done.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Hitting 40 felt great! I think most can look back and say, I wish, I would have done this or that, done it differntly.

I rent also and don't have a lot of material goods. But, what I do have are two great kids that are healthy and happy. For me, that makes it all worthwhile.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#11]
40 wasnt' bad...50 sucked!  Beats the alternative, though.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Hit 40 this year, but since my warranty ran out last year it didn't seem so bad.  Got repaired and put back on the road again.  Just glad to be here.  I want a Jeep Rubicon.  I kinda think that's the equivalent of an ARFCOMer's mid-life crisis.  My wife wants a red Mustang.  hmmm...  

I thank God for everyday I'm given.  I plan on enjoying watching my kids finish growing up.  Teach them to shoot. 12 year old put a couple of rounds through a 458 Socom last weekend at a shoot - comment was "cool!".  He's hooked and has been for a while.  The 4 year old gets mad cause I won't let him go to the range yet.  

So 40's not so bad.  Like anything else, you get out of it what you put in it.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:23:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#14]
When men turn 40, they get Porsche 911's and sweet 28 year old girlfriends.

When women turn 40, they get mood swings and hot flashes.

Or at least that's the way it's supposed to be. Me, I think I just upgraded to a larger dumpster in a better neighborhood.

cynic
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Turned 44 this past January, 40 was a piece of cake.  Like Paul says, I never stopped being a child either.

Carbine10, don't even bother measuring your accomplishments by your property value, it just ain't worth it.  Measure them against what you have learned over the years.

Hell if property ownership was the measurement, the Ex, and possibly second Ex. Would be the achievers.  I own a house, and rent a studio apartment 'cause the wife and I have been fighting and seeing a marriage counselor.

She keeps telling me I'm going through mid life crises.

I really didn't want a sports car, like Lumpy223 says, I want a machine gun.  Full-Auto M14 would be nice.

Happiness and satisfaction are things that reaside inside yourself.  Nothing outside will bring it to you!!!  That is the big lesson I've learned in my 44 years on planet earth!!!!

From one old timer to another, Happy B-Day.

Oh Yeah and to all you smart-ass youngsters out there!!!

YOU AIN'T GETTING ANY YOUNGER, and ONE DAY YOU WILL BE IN OUR SHOES.  So just keep mouthing off!!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I turn 40 on the 22nd. I'm looking for a career change from being a Mechanical Eng. to ??? As long as it is more challenging and has the potential to gain in income.  I've about maxed out the potential for engineering.  Maybe this is a midlife crisis for me but I really don't care.  Oh, and I'm taking the summer off from work for the first time since college.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:21:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I hit 46 this December, the nice thing is I will be able to retire in four more!
Then life will really begin.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:21:43 PM EDT
[#18]
44 tomorrow, think I'll buy a .44, why not? or maybe a cat-back exhaust for my new 04 SE Maxima? for sure a cold pack!! Big 4 0, four decades, look at it this way, when going over the hill you just pick up speed!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:53:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I'll hit 44 in October.  When I got to 40 my first thought was, "Gee, I thought it would feel older!"  I started considering that statistically my life is about half over, so I decided on two goals:

1. Make sure what I do counts from here on out.

2. Have as much fun as I can along the way.

Sometimes I feel like a 20 year old kid trapped in an abused, aging body. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:57:01 AM EDT
[#20]
am turning 40 in August..

decided two things:

I'm going to be the same weight at 40 that I was when I was twenty (lost 30 pounds so far, ten to go)

and

regret is a dark thing that eats your future.

If you wish you had done it, or wish you hadn't, it doesn't matter. It's already over. Think about today, and tomorrow. Those are the things you can do something about. Let yesterday go.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:13:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Let's see at 40. (Now 43)

- Started wearing reading glasses
- High blood pressure
- Had first sigmoidoscopy exam: Buttscope, see [url]http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health/digest/pubs/diagtest/sigmo.htm[/url]
- Realized my bald spot was really there

On the other hand, I'm more comfortable with myself, and my life than I was at 30.  My kids are young (7 & 9) and they keep me feeling young.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:14:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hit 40 last month myself.

Isn't 40 when we are supposed to have a mid life crisis or something? Isn't that when we are supposed to buy a sports car?

Fuck the sports car.....I want a machine gun [:D]
View Quote

O.K. I may be having my mid-life crises. Trying to decide between a H-D Dyna Wide Glide and an American Ironhorse Texas Chopper. There's a 69 Camaro in the works also. Right now life is good. I'll be headed to to the gulf for a live-aboard dive trip on my birthday (40 in July). My family is great and work is allowing for a little fun. Right now it's looking like one of my best years. Oh yeah, my wife still likes to [sex].
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:18:57 AM EDT
[#23]
I'll be 55 in September.

Okay I'm not happy with what I've acomplished in life so far.
View Quote

Okay, so do something about it.  Get some education, get another job, move somewhere else.  Life is far from over.  Lots of famous men started rather late in life.  You can do whatever you are willing to suffer for.  I went back and got my college degree when I was over 30 years old.  Went to night school while working a 40 hour a week job.  It wasn't much fun, but it enabled me to get a better job.

View Quote

I thought I was in "middle age", but I was wrong.  40 is still young.  Don't settle for less than you can be.

View Quote

Nope.  I've lived 15 years past 40 and expect (Lord willing) many more.  But life being almost over doesn't scare me.  I'm a Christian and look forward to my next life.

You're still a young man with a lot of life in front of you.  I can tell you that when I have my kids and grandkids over for a cookout in my back yard and am playing with my grandkids, I am happier than I've ever been in my life.

Get up and get busy.

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:29:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Hell you are only as old as you feel. At 56 I am happy as hell every morning when I wake up. Really age is only a set of stats the gov use to screw you.

Don't let the age thing get to you or it will mess up the rest of the time you have left.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:43:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Don't worry. Be glad for all that you have. Heck, I just turned 50, and my wife's 48. We went out and bought ATV's and Kayaks. I'm not as quick as I used to be, but like was said before, it sure beats the alturnitive.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:46:15 AM EDT
[#26]
I felt great at 40; 41 was a bitch though. And it was all down hill from there.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:57:14 AM EDT
[#27]
I am 59 years young and love being a grandpa.  I shoot in IDPA and 3-gun matches also and enjoy the hell out of that.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:58:29 AM EDT
[#28]
I'll be 43 next month. Hubby turns 40 this year.
I didn't bother me. It was just another day and year. Also no one believes I'm my age either. Everyone thinks I'm early 30's, I also tell them I have a 17 year old who has been giving me gray hairs.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:59:46 AM EDT
[#29]
I turn 55 in October...

[b]Dont sweat it ![/b]    [:D]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:00:33 AM EDT
[#30]
[bday]

Turning 40 did not bother me as much as turning 30.  However, I did have a mid-life crisis at 40 - wanted a sports car, younger man [:)], etc.  But I have come to accept it.  There is no point in having regrets - you can't go back and change things.  You just have to learn from the past.  You can still accomplish a lot of the things that you wanted to do if you don't let age get you down.  I think a mid-life crisis is caused by two things.  First, life seems to pass so much faster as we get older.  When we were kids, it seemed like an eternity until we would be 30 or 40.  Most people reflect back on their lives and realize all of the things they haven't accomplished.  It can be depressing if you do this.  Instead think of the things you have accomplished.  Set some goals for the things you want to do and DO them.  Secondly, because we have reached 40 and it used to seem so far away, we must accept that we are not going to live forever.  

Happy Birthday!  Enjoy yourself and go do some of the things you regret not doing!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:03:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Okay I'm not happy with what I've acomplished in life so far. Still living in a frickin apartment. But working on that.

View Quote

Feel the same as I did when I turned 18. I have more ache's amd pains. But I got old way before my time as my dad says. Pretty happy I have lived this long.

OR

Did you become a child again (dreaming though).
View Quote

Depression is never a option. Worrying is wasted enery. If something is wrong make the best of it or change it.

Your input is welcomed.
View Quote

I see along life ahead of you.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:24:52 AM EDT
[#32]
The forties are a GREAT time in a guy's life.

Your twenties are spent deciding what you want to do with your life and you take your first steps in that direction. This is the time you make a few sacrifices and think ahead rather than for the moment. You still have fun and party, but you never lose sight of your goals.

Your thirties are spent achieving that goal.

By the time you've hit your forties you've arrived. You should be at the top of your game. Financially secure because of your hard work of the last 2 decades and maybe allowing that financial security to enable you the freedom of considering  modifying your career. For example, starting your own firm rather than working for someone.

If you've taken care of yourself physically you can put that wisdom and wealth to your advantage and have plenty of young girlfriends.

Of course, if you've dicked around your whole life and ate and drank shit, the prospects at forty are pretty dismal and only get worse.

You reap what you sow and all that stuff..... [;)]

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:30:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Hey you smart assed 25 year olders!  One day you will be 40.  Then later on, you will die.  
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill. [:D]

Bilster
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:53:50 AM EDT
[#34]
40 is just a number.  Get that house.  There'll never be a better time.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:55:24 AM EDT
[#35]
HAPPY BIRTHDAY[bday]

I'm 53 and didn't phase me in the least turning 40 or 50 either.  I figure your just another day older.  You don't gain a whole year in one day.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:33:13 AM EDT
[#36]
You are reaching a point in life where preservation of whatever you have becomes more important, because you have less time left to recover from mistakes.  If you must have some kind of midlife crisis, make it one that doesn't drain you financially in the long term.  It's OK to be child-like but that doesn't mean you have to be childISH.

When I was 40 I got divorced (after 10+ years).  Settling with my ex put me in debt, and it took about 2 years to achieve "dead broke" status once again.  I was pretty depressed for those years; didn't date anyone (at least not "seriously") for the whole time.

Now I'm 45 and things are going along swimmingly.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:54:42 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Isn't 40 when we are supposed to have a mid life crisis or something? Isn't that when we are supposed to buy a sports car?

View Quote

I've still got a few months to go, but the Barrett's on order.  Do you think I should have gone Class 3 instead?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:35:57 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm glad this thread got started.  I'll be 40 this year, and some of this input helps.  I always thought I'd check out sooner than this, and so really didn't give much thought to getting older.  

Now, though, I've got two young boys (6 & 8) that need to learn to shoot better, I'd really like a select fire weapon, and I'm just getting into IDPA.  I also race faster on my bike now than I did in my 20's, and actually have a little extra money for enjoying life more.

Staring it in the face, 40 doesn't seem bad at all.  I made a committment to my wife to really make the next 40 count for something.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:34:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I've still got a few months to go, but the Barrett's on order.  Do you think I should have gone Class 3 instead?
View Quote

Ok, all together now lets do the AR15comer reply.

[all togther] GET BOTH [/all togther]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:38:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Forty? Forty??!!!

You damned well ought to be ashamed of yourself!

When I was your age, I was forty-six!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Happy Birthday!!!

40 is no big deal, except to others. I hit it years ago.

Just start taking care of yourself a little better; the old bod does not bounce back quite as well as it used to.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:18:28 AM EDT
[#42]

I don't know how 40 feels.....I guess I'll find out in 22 years [8D]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:42:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I turn 43 tomorrow.

I also thought that I would never see 35 when I was younger.

When I hit 40, it was as if the warranty ran out [:)]

I was hospitalized for four weeks over a four month period in late 2000. Pretty serious.

Since then, life's been rough, but I'm glad to be here.

I bought a condo in 2001. I doubt I'll be here for the full 30 years of the loan's term, but I'll make the best of it.

View Quote

I turn 30 tomorrow, but I have more mileage on my body than someone twice my age. I am no "computer guy" but I have had my share of thrills and spills.I doubt I make 60, at least without a walker anyway.
Still have to hammer away and live every day like it was the last.(I think that is what got me all stoved up in the first place)
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Apparently, better than you do.
[img]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/mittelgrosse/medium-smiley-124.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Just checked again.

Still under 40-

Life is still great-

Nothing but blue sky ahead.

HA!
View Quote
You bad man. You beddy-beddy bad man. [nono]

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#47]
I hit the big 4-0 in February. Not too bad. My brain still thinks I'm 16 but my joints let me know the truth.

It's all in what you think.

Happy B'Day!

Mike
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#48]
I'm 43 and life is great!

My opinion is any day above ground is a good one.

It also helps that my wife is only 32 and feels it is her "job" to keep me happy (if you know what I mean)!

Damn, I love those Panamanian women!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#49]
I'll hit 40 in August this year.

I have a great wife and I feel great.  I take care of myself and my secretary still thinks I'm in my early 30s.  

Last year I thought I only had few months to live and I spent few weeks getting everything in order (life insurance, will, letters to loved ones, etc.) and thinking about my life.  I had no regrets and I felt I had acomplished much for my age.  Everything is okay now and everyday is an icing on the cake.  

My only regret is not having a child but my wife and I have been working on that... I'll be working on it again tonight.

Enjoy your life.  Forget about living in an apt and size of your bank account, etc.  Get a bunch of guns and ammo and go shooting a lot.  Finally, get a good wife who you can love for rest of your life.      
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 2:37:03 PM EDT
[#50]
The worst part of being 40ish is 40ish women! ugh! Get a pretty Female Doctor and Prostate exams won't be so bad.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top