Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/3/2005 10:33:13 AM EDT
So, like many of us, I have studied the history of gun control, etc.

One thing that has stuck in my mind is the history of arming an organized police force. Until the late 19th century, the investigation of crime and bringing the offenders to the justice system was the responsibility of the individual. To prevent political corruption, New York City unified multiple "police" forces and created a bipartisan oversight commitee.

Now, if memory serves correctly, there was quite a bit of hand wringing over the idea of an armed "police force". However, it was held that the police were "the people" and had the right to be armed. I am looking for documentation on this point.

Fast forward sightly to the early 20th century and the first gun control measure/law enacted in NYC, the Sullivan Act. How was the newly created NYPD armed without violating the Sullivan Act? Were they issued permits IAW the Act?

Just trying to refresh/confirm/correct my memory.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:43:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:24:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By racer934:
Fast forward sightly to the early 20th century and the first gun control measure/law enacted in NYC, the Sullivan Act. How was the newly created NYPD armed without violating the Sullivan Act? Were they issued permits IAW the Act?

Just trying to refresh/confirm/correct my memory.

The same way current NYS officers can own a handgun on their tin.Only problem being if they haven't gotten a permit by the time they lose the badge through loss of employment.
Top Top