Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/18/2003 10:58:49 AM EDT
[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A9464-2003Jun18.html?nav=hptop_tb[/url]

The Census Bureau announced today that a long-awaited milestone has been reached: Hispanics are now the nation's largest minority group.

The new census figures also show that Latinos accounted for half the country's population growth in the two years after the 2000 Census was taken.

The nation's Hispanic population numbered 38.8 million in July 2002, according to population estimates released today. The nation's African American population, which has been the nation's largest minority since the country was founded, numbered 38.3 million.

The arrival of this demographic landmark happened more quickly than had been forecast. Already, both political parties are courting Hispanics, a growing number of companies are marketing to them and some government agencies are increasing their Spanish-language outreach.

Census Bureau director Louis Kincannon made the announcement at a convention of the League of United Latin American Citizens in the Orlando area. Florida is a key state for both political parties where the Hispanic vote is crucial.

"This is an important event in this country, an event that we know is the result of the growth of a vibrant and diverse population that is vital to America's future," Kincannon said in prepared remarks.

The Hispanic population is growing rapidly because of high birth rates and immigration. Immigration accounted for more than half the recent Latino population increase, census officials said.

Despite the heavy influence of immigration, another census report released today said three in five Hispanics are born in the United States. It is a young population: A third of Latinos are under 18. Hispanics are less likely than non-Hispanic whites to have a high school education and to be employed, as well are more likely to be in poverty.

So far, with a young population and one that includes many non-citizens, Hispanic population numbers have not yet translated into Hispanic voting power. "I'm not sure how long it is going to take us," said Gabriela Lemus, LULAC policy director. "We Latino leaders are very much aware that we've got to find the keys to unlock our passion as an interest group."

Some experts say the rising Hispanic population is leading to more anti-immigrant rhetoric and actions. In localities across the country, lower-income Hispanics and blacks jostle for jobs, housing and political influence.

"At the street level, there has traditionally been a tension between African Americans and Latinos," said Harry Pachon, president of the Tomas Rivera Policy Institute. "But at the leadership level, in the Hispanic or Black [Congressional] Caucus or in state legislatures, there has been more cooperative working relationships."

For the most part, the largest Hispanic and African American advocacy groups share a common agenda that includes support for affirmative action, laws against discrimination, and programs to increase jobs. One recent exception is that some Hispanic groups, including LULAC, endorsed the Bush administration's nomination of Miguel Estrada to the D.C. Court of Appeals, which is a break with other Hispanic organizations and the Congressional Black Caucus.

The new census figures are for the entire country, and do not shed light on the growth of the Washington area's Latino population, which has been so rapid that the region has been designated a center of "hyper-growth" in a recent study. Locally, the 2000 Census counted nearly 447,000 Hispanics, or 8 percent of the population. In Arlington and Fairfax counties, Latinos already are more numerous than African Americans.

Latinos have gained some recent political representation--for example, two were elected last year as the first Hispanic delegates to the Maryland General Assembly. But Latino organizations also complain of inadequate services such as Spanish translation by government agencies, especially in the District.

The national census figures include an estimated 1.7 million Afro-Latinos, who are counted both as Hispanics and blacks. Afro-Latinos, most from Caribbean countries, are concentrated in New York and Florida. Latinos can be of any race.

Some warned against seeing the ascension of Hispanics as a triumph over other minority groups.

"What I am wary of [is] you can see this portrayed as a contest," said Roberto Suro, director of the Pew Hispanic Center. "Who is the biggest minority? What is the prize here? To me it's much more important as an official benchmark of where the country is."

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Woo-hoo!

This is going to be fun! Now the NAACP and their mind-numbed robots are going to have to blame US as well as "the man" for their problems!

[lol]

Bring it on!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:10:02 AM EDT
[#2]
whoopdee fuckin doo
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:10:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Cool.  I like their food, and the language is easy to learn.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:12:21 AM EDT
[#4]
hablas espanol?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:15:27 AM EDT
[#5]
The new Star Spangled Banner: "Jose can you see..."
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:16:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
hablas espanol?
View Quote

Nope.....I'd say more but it's not nice so i won't say it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#7]
In turn, dosent this make them a [b]MAJORITY[/b]?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, they still only comprise less than 20% of the total population, IIRC...

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Yes, BUT it does make them the majority of the minorites, right?

Wow, my head is starting to hurt.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For the most part, the largest Hispanic and African American advocacy groups share a common agenda that includes support for [red]affirmative action, laws against discrimination[/red], and programs to increase jobs.
View Quote

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIT just a gaul dern minute.  Can anyone say "HYPOCRITE?"  Having cake and eating it too it seems....hmmmmmmm.
They support laws against discrimination that is aimed at them.  How much you want to bet when the hispanics become the majority in the country, which will happen if current trends are correct, all the discrimination laws will go right out the window?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#12]
My mother always taught me that if I don't have anything nice to say then say nothing at all.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:55:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Yes, BUT it does make them the majority of the minorites, right?

Wow, my head is starting to hurt.
View Quote

Um, no. There is only one majority group.  You is either the most or you is not.

But there can be bigger and smaller minority groups.

Now mine hurts, too.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:57:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Immigrants should forget about getting translating services and ask for courses to [b]learn [/b] english.
Ignore quotas,and affirmative action.Focus on demonstrating you are as good a worker as the next and may the best man -or woman- get the job,contract or scholarship.
View Quote

Exactly!  Can you imagine an immigrant trying to pull this at, say, the Swiss border:

Hola!  No tengo dinero, no tengo trabajo, hablo solamente expanol.  Permitame vivir aqui, por favor!
View Quote

(Claro que tengo que practicar mas hablar espanol; no he hablado nada por dos anos.)
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:59:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Viva La Reconquista!!!

Su casa es mi casa!!!

[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=191511&w=myTopicPop]Aquí está el futuro!!![/url]

[):)][):)][):)][:\][):)][):)]

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:00:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Um, no. There is only one majority group.  You is either the most or you is not.

But there can be bigger and smaller minority groups.

Now mine hurts, too.
View Quote

touché!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:05:09 PM EDT
[#17]
hell, in the little town of 5000 i live in the population is about 85% to 10% with them in the majority.  in nueces county, where corpus christi, tx is, they're about 65%.  i'd call that a majority, down here at least, where is my affirmative action?

no hablo espanol muy bien.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:05:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Soo... the census bureau states(admits) we have a boat load (no pun intended) of young, dumb, illegal immigrants that don't vote and reproduce at a rate never before seen in this country???
And the new news is....????
Sounds like a bright future for this country.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:09:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Some minority...
Now if illegals were counted in that, it would be a hell of alot higher.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
[b]I think this is the main problem our nation faces in the future.[/b]

We are not going to get anywhere until we all pull together and CONTRIBUTE to the growth of the country.That goal will be much more productive  than seeing how much we can take out of it to satisfy our ethnic group's particular needs.

Immigrants should forget about getting translating services and ask for courses to [b]learn [/b] english.
Ignore quotas,and affirmative action.Focus on demonstrating you are as good a worker as the next and may the best man -or woman- get the job,contract or scholarship.

I don't need no stinking "handicap" advantage to make it! Lets Roll
View Quote

[:K]Estamos en los Estados Unidos, si no hablas el espanol, vete de nuestro pais!

"This is America!  If you can't speak Spanish, get the fuck out!"  Comprendes? [:K]

[:D], -Nick Viejo
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:12:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Cool.  I like their food, and the language is easy to learn.
View Quote

Yeah, well, I like their food too, but they ought to be learning [b]MY[/b] language.  I don't care how easy it is to learn Spanish, unless I move to Mexico.  When I do, I'll learn their language.  I won't expect everyone to learn mine, or offer government services in English.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:21:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

We are not going to get anywhere until we all pull together and CONTRIBUTE to the growth of the country.That goal will be much more productive  than seeing how much we can take out of it to satisfy our ethnic group's particular needs.

View Quote

Amen, Ed!

You have no idea how much it hurts me when a fellow hispanic pulls a card from the Liberal deck!

PROUD to be a CONSERVATIVE (Cuban-)American!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Proud to be a conservatibe American (from a Mexican Family)
Hey, if the numbers keep on growing, maybe I can run for President and win!!!!

Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:41:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The new Star Spangled Banner: "Jose can you see..."
View Quote

Angels In The Outfield

God I watch too much tv.....
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a whole mess of them living by me.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:48:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm sorry but what fvcking "[b][size=4]homeland security[/b][size=4]" are they talking about if 500,000 dumbass yard men can waltz across the border [b]every year[/b]????  Godamm pathetic.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:48:57 PM EDT
[#28]
OK maybe it was a society set up by a bunch of dead, rich White guys- but they set up the party so there was at the table for you.
In exchange for unbriddled economic freedom, and a lack of government death squads- there are some fvcking house rules-
Don't piss in the finger bowls.
Learn to assimilate-
Learn to speak English.
Left lane fast- right lane slow!!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:57:48 PM EDT
[#29]
If we are lucky and with a little bit of effort, Messicans as I call myself, will prove to be a boon to both Mexico and the US.  How you ask?  simple, as we become more Americanized our ideas are getting exported into Old Mexico, and nothing breeds prosperity faster than freedom.  It will take a while and expect alot of resistance, but it will happen.  Right now Mexico is finally starting to realize that the were sold a bill of goods by the PRI(Red democrats) all these years, and guess what, they want to be like YOU: WASPS!!  Now the problem that I see here is the prevailing philosphy of a certain political party (guess who?) to make Messicans, Hispanics, Latins whatever you want to call them into a carbon copy of their plantation slaves, i.e. blacks.  They would dearly love the %70 out wedlock birthrate, one out of 4 black men a felon , section 8 for everybody, for us, but enough are NOT buying to REALLY worry the jackasses.  Miguel Estrada anyone?  anyways some of us are smart enough to really open the eyes of our fellow brownskinned brothers, have faith and remember: ALL of my kids cousins can't speak a lick of SPANISH!![8D]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'm sorry but what fvcking "[b][size=4]homeland security[/b][size=4]" are they talking about if 500,000 dumbass yard men can waltz across the border [b]every year[/b]????  Godamm pathetic.
View Quote

And then the real homeland security, the vigilantes, get silenced by the gov't. Shows you just how well democracy is working out.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:23:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
For the most part, the largest Hispanic and African American advocacy groups share a common agenda that includes support for affirmative action, laws against discrimination, and programs to increase jobs.

But Latino organizations also complain of inadequate services such as Spanish translation by government agencies, especially in the District.
View Quote

View Quote

EdAvila for President
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I've said this a million times, we need to provide incentives for American companies to pull their production facilities out of the asian countries and move them to Mexico.  

Give them a reason to stay in Mexico.  I don't blame them a bit to come to this country.  They have no opportunities in Mexico.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've said this a million times, we need to provide incentives for American companies to pull their production facilities out of the asian countries and move them to Mexico.  

Give them a reason to stay in Mexico.  I don't blame them a bit to come to this country.  They have no opportunities in Mexico.
View Quote

Why not REALLY clamp down on border-crossings, and give corperations insentives to move their production HOME, INTO THE UNITED STATES??
No more throwing money overseas, and back to exporting(Syn: making profit).
Less illegals, more home-based companies paying taxes, [b]Less unemployement[/b]

THAT would work. Guaranteed. Mexico is an independant nation, and we should leave it that way.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Why not REALLY clamp down on border-crossings, and give corperations insentives to move their production HOME, INTO THE UNITED STATES??
No more throwing money overseas, and back to exporting(Syn: making profit).
Less illegals, more home-based companies paying taxes, [b]Less unemployement[/b]

THAT would work. Guaranteed. Mexico is an independant nation, and we should leave it that way.
View Quote

NOPE!  As long as Unions have American corporations by the balls, they will continue to outsource work where they can buy cheap [i]effective[/i] labor
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:47:56 PM EDT
[#35]
most hispanics are much more right leaning than 'other' minorities
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#36]
[beathorse][beathorse][beathorse][beathorse][beathorse][beathorse][beathorse][beathorse]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:51:40 PM EDT
[#37]
They are largely a family orientated culture.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
For the most part, the largest Hispanic and African American advocacy groups share a common agenda that includes support for affirmative action, laws against discrimination, and programs to increase jobs.

But Latino organizations also complain of inadequate services such as Spanish translation by government agencies, especially in the District.
View Quote

View Quote

You're right Ed, but that's NOT gonna work without at least a 20 year moratorium on all immigration. We MUST assimilate those now here, or America, and her culture of freedom and liberty is toast.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

"This is America!  If you can't speak Spanish, get the fuck out!"  Comprendes? [:K]

[:D], -Nick Viejo
View Quote

Go to hell you freaking  [:K]<-----Nick [:D]

Hey,your spanish is pretty good!

How about this one? Nick,eres un gringo pendejo que come mucho. [:)]

Take care you [:K]     [:D]

[b]zaphod :[/b]
I feel the same way.There are two types of immigrants.Those that felt they could have a better life in the US,for whatever reason,and came here to give their best effort at succeeding.
And there are those that could not make it in their own country and came hoping they could get "a break" here.

The former group tries hard to succeed;the latter tries to subsist!
View Quote

Soy guero por eso yo arraso con todas las mujeres

Ay que jodido!
Nick no habla bien. ni escribe de maquina tampoco. porque, no puede transdicir bien. Estamos en America es "we are in america". Miralo. Soy blanco y me parezco como un bolillo. No sabrias ninguno si no te hubiera dicho. Soy capaz de casarme con tu hija y nunca te enterarias de quien soy. Nos vemos.
GG
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 6:17:06 AM EDT
[#40]
cerveza, por favor.

I FN HATE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  nothing pisses me off more than when people are speaking plain english, then they see a gringo walk up and switch to spanish.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:28:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

You hit the nail on the head. Americans are not like this. Most will sue their parents in a heartbeat.You wont find a viejito in the old folks home. True Americans send their parent to old folk homes.
GG
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#42]
anyone read "death of the west" by Pat the racist Buchanan?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:38:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Gun Guru:
Quoted:
View Quote

You hit the nail on the head. Americans are not like this. Most will sue their parents in a heartbeat.You wont find a viejito in the old folks home. True Americans send their parent to old folk homes.
GG
View Quote

Oh yeah 'family oriented' is a nice way to describe 8 people living in a 2 bedroom house and parking their cars in the front yard.

The  litigaous offspring thing is ridiculous. Got sources?

Parents live with 3 other generations in a cramped over loaded house because they can't afford assisted living- they are much less likely to have insurance.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#44]
[soapbox]

Hispanic-Americans, just another hyphen to seperate true Americans.

If you were born in the USA you are an American,period...............

In "hate crime" statistics, Crimes commited by  "Hispanics" against any minority are put in the "A white guy did it" catagory.

Do not let our enemies divide and conquer.

[soapbox]

Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:40:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Originally Posted By Gun Guru:
Quoted:
View Quote

GG
View Quote

Oh yeah 'family oriented' is a nice way to describe 8 people living in a 2 bedroom house and parking their cars in the front yard.

The  litigaous offspring thing is ridiculous. Got sources?

Parents live with 3 other generations in a cramped over loaded house because they can't afford assisted living- they are much less likely to have insurance.
View Quote

I don't think money is the motivating factor for the reason you see Hispanics taking care of their elders. Having worked at wealthy hospitals in Orange County and a poor hospital in East L.A. I can tell you just from seeing visitors that Hispanics care for their elders a lot more than the other cultures. My wifes family is well off in Mexico and they still are basically an extended family with multiple generations living together. I personally wouldnt care if my Mother had insurance or not, I would never put her in a nursing facility or assisted living home.  I think most Hispanics  feel the same way.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:36:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Send them all packing EXCEPT George Lopez. [buttkick]

Hey meestor have you seen my seestor?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:03:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

That votes democrat.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:18:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:37:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:52:59 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top