Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2005 10:05:44 AM EST
Hey Guys i need help on this question
he
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:06:45 AM EST
Kim Jong Il? Is that you? Who let you in here.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:07:32 AM EST
Last time I tried it I used 3.43 metric tons.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:08:20 AM EST

Originally Posted By KangarooAR-15A3:
Last time I tried it I used 3.43 metric tons.



3.44 gives a little better yield.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:11:46 AM EST
Here's a start: Pitchblende

CW
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:13:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By BayEagle:

Originally Posted By KangarooAR-15A3:
Last time I tried it I used 3.43 metric tons.



3.44 gives a little better yield.



true, but that last .01 was too hard to find.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:13:56 AM EST

Originally Posted By michaelj1978:
Kim Jong Il? Is that you? Who let you in here.



Begone dysfunctional warlord!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:15:53 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:16:32 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:24:44 AM EST
Wrong bomb. Fat Boy was dropped at Nagasaki, Little Boy, the first, at Hiroshima.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:27:51 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:33:23 AM EST

You should know or be able to easily find the proportion of U-235 to U-238 in natural uranium. You should also be able to find the proportion of uranium in pitchblende.

Extrapolate back from the size of the supercritical uranium core through those two proportions, and you will arrive at how much pitchblende you need to process.

Jim
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:36:13 AM EST

Originally Posted By KS_Physicist:
You should know or be able to easily find the proportion of U-235 to U-238 in natural uranium. You should also be able to find the proportion of uranium in pitchblende.

Extrapolate back from the size of the supercritical uranium core through those two proportions, and you will arrive at how much pitchblende you need to process.

Jim




Ah thats where I messed up....... (taking notes)
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:48:36 AM EST

Natural uranium contains 0.7% of the U-235 isotope. The remaining 99.3% is mostly the U-238 isotope
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:51:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/19/2005 11:17:22 AM EST by Gamma762]
Average is .7% U235 in natural uranium... dont know what the percentage of uranium in pitchblende is, or what kind of recovery efficiency was possible at that time.

It would really depend on what kind of answer you are looking for - how much uranium was actually used to produce the device, or the theoretical amount needed to produce the amount of active material used in the Little Boy device.
Top Top