Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/2/2005 10:46:36 AM EDT
Man with Mental Illness Shot by California Highway Patrol Officer

ASSOCIATED PRESS

FREMONT, Calif. (AP) -- A California Highway Patrol officer shot and killed a 36-year-old man with a history of mental illness on a busy Bay Area freeway Monday.

The shooting of Edenar Talens by the unidentified CHP officer was described by Fremont police as a self-defense shooting.

Talens was a passenger in his parents' car as they were taking him to a hospital to be evaluated for symptoms of his mental illness he had been displaying, Talens' parents told investigators.

Talens jumped out of the car as it was traveling southbound on Interstate 880 and made statements that indicated he was suicidal and refused to get back into the car, witnesses told police.

When the CHP officer arrived, Talens lunged and grunted incoherently at the officer. Talens' unsuccessfully father tried to restrain his son. The officer ordered Talens to stop and used pepper spray, according to a news release from the Fremont police.

When that appeared to have no affect, the officer retreated 50 feet before firing one shot in self defense, the release said. Talens was declared dead at the scene.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#1]

When the CHP officer arrived, Talens lunged and grunted incoherently at the officer. Talens' unsuccessfully father tried to restrain his son. The officer ordered Talens to stop and used pepper spray, according to a news release from the Fremont police.

Huh?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:57:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Just a matter of time before they went from dogs to people ....
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Lead really is a cure-all.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
When that appeared to have no affect, the officer retreated 50 feet before firing one shot in self defense, the release said.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:13:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Huh oh...1 shot at like 50 feet? Dang, this guy is good...

Wonder what it was, 9mm, 40, 45....

Ben
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmmmmm.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:14:19 AM EDT
[#7]
In all honesty the guy is probably better of dead.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:14:54 AM EDT
[#8]
What kind of defense do you need from an unarmed man at FIFTY feet?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#9]
so, what did the guy have/use as a weapon to make him fear 4 his life?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Was the deceased seriously physically threatening  and following the cops as they retreated? Surely they did not shoot him from 50'
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:17:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Just because the officer retreated, does not mean the nutcase stayed put.   I'd like to find out if nutcase had a weapon of some kind though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Well if the guy followed the cop- which it doesn't say but is possible - the cop was in the right.

One shot at 50 feet. The family lawyer would have a field day if the guy was just standing there and the officer drew, took careful aim, and dropped the guy with one shot to the heart. The term "murder" comes to mind.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Awesome.  Loony Bird down, Loony bird down..............
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
When that appeared to have no affect, the officer retreated 50 feet before firing one shot in self defense, the release said.

+1.  One shot from 50 feet away?  I will certainly assume we don't have the full story, but if the cop was 50 feet from the deranged dude why did he have to shoot him?

Or was he chased for 50 feet?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:21:10 AM EDT
[#15]
If the disturbed guy advanced on the cop after the cop withdrew fifty feet, then it was self-defense. The cop was doing his job, anyway. The guy was a hazard to the public safety and putting more people than just himself at risk.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:21:36 AM EDT
[#16]
maybe I read it wrong, but it sounded like the cop retreated 50 feet before firing---the article never said if the nutjob was advancing on the cop....I'll reserve my armchair judgement until I see more info.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:23:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  One shot from 50 feet away?  I will certainly assume we don't have the full story, but if the cop was 50 feet from the deranged dude why did he have to shoot him?

Or was he chased for 50 feet?

It sez "retreated 50 feet"  I have got to believe that if the nutbag followed him, it would have said "at close range."

But I agree, it definitely needs more info.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

It appears the man pursued him for 50 feet, then the officer shot him.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, it is just a darn good thing the cop wasn't allowed to have one of those dangerous Taser devices! He could have really hurt someone with one of those!!!

And now we see, ladies and gentlemen, exactly the type of situation a Taser is made for, and had one been available odds are things would have ended happier for everyone.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Your topic title is very demeaning
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
t sez "retreated 50 feet"  I have got to believe that if the nutbag followed him, it would have said "at close range."

You are assuming reporters know how to write and can convey a clear and coherent thought, which I have YET to see any reporter do when covering a shooting.

Most reporters have no clue of how to properly use the English language. How could they? They go to colleges and universities that don't require learning English any more.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Before you are too quick to bash the officer keep in mind that there are plenty of weapons to go around at every police encounter, the ones the cops bring with them.  Plenty have been killed with their owen gun or beaten with their own baton.  Additioanlly this incident took place on the side of the freeway, with just 10' of shoulder seperating the suspect, suspects family, the officer, and hundreds of cars traveling 80MPH.

Are you going to allow yourself to get into a wrestling match with a suicidal person on the side of the freeway, while open carrying?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:26:51 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I found it rather catchy...and fitting as well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I thought it was funny
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:29:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Before you are too quick to bash the officer keep in mind that there are plenty of weapons to go around at every police encounter, the ones the cops bring with them.  Plenty have been killed with their owen gun or beaten with their own baton.  Additioanlly this incident took place on the side of the freeway, with just 10' of shoulder seperating the suspect, suspects family, the officer, and hundreds of cars traveling 80MPH.

Are you going to allow yourself to get into a wrestling match with a suicidal person on the side of the freeway, while open carrying?

Are you actually asking the members of ARFCOM to put themselves in the officer's shoes for a minute?

Clearly some members of ARFCOM would have ended the situation peacefully with the man's mental illness cured and the man's family adopting them because they have the bad-ass ninja kung-fu grip, and they have learned to be bad muthas while stalking around their living room in their underoos with an AR-15...

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
In all honesty the guy is probably better of dead.

yeah, I'm sure his parents agree with you
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
because they have the bad-ass ninja kung-fu grip, and they have learned to be bad muthas while stalking around their living room in their underoos with an AR-15...

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#28]
There is no way we can possible pass judgement on either party, given the lack of details in the story.

If I had to choose (which is silly, given how little we know), I'd side with the officer by default. He knows damn good and well that a shooting is going to be analyzed to death. The other guy? Well, he's a suicidal nutjob, ain't he?

Here's what I know:

1. A mentally ill man jumped out a car on the Interstaate.
2. Mentally ill man indicated he was suicidal, and wouldn't get back into the car.
3. Mentally ill man lunged at the officer.
4. Father tried to restrain mentally ill man, and it wasn't working.
5. Rather than shooting first, the officer wisely used pepper spray.
6. Mentaly ill man still wouldn't quit, even after officer was moving backwards with a pistol drawn.
7. Lead Therapy.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Good shoot.

It sure screwed up traffic!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:16:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Maybe he was down on all fours growling like a dog.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Huh?

It's an obvious typo.
What he was trying to say was: "Talen's unsucessful father tried to restrain his son."

Maybe he was down on all fours growling like a dog.

Bwhahaha!

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:58:55 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I think your suffering from lack of writing skills confusion caused by terrible writing and grammer from the reporter.  It sounds like the father tried to control the Son.  The son broke loose, chased officer.  The son was sprayed with OC but still advancing. The officer and son dropped back 50 feet where finally the officer fired to stop the attack.

A tazer would have been a life saver here, it's too bad it wasn't there to use.  I can't fault the officer for exactly the reasons AR15fan states.  No way you get into a grappling match especially not on the side of the road.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I doubt a taser would have worked. Some motivated nutcases are strong enough to knock a bull in the ass and break its neck. I've dealt with a few that actually liked stun guns, and laughed when hit with pepper spray.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I doubt a taser would have worked. Some motivated nutcases are strong enough to knock a bull in the ass and break its neck. I've dealt with a few that actually liked stun guns, and laughed when hit with pepper spray.

I believe the technical term is "Retard Strength".
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:08:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I don't think there has yet been anyone who has been able to overcome a taser shot from one of the Taser International units...
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:12:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:13:43 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
If the disturbed guy advanced on the cop after the cop withdrew fifty feet, then it was self-defense. The cop was doing his job, anyway. The guy was a hazard to the public safety and putting more people than just himself at risk.

Damn right.  He jumped out of a moving vehicle on an expressway, and then advanced at an officer.

Self-defense.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:18:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Good shoot.

I wonder if Joe Citizen would be cleared for doing the same thing, however.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quote "I doubt a taser would have worked. Some motivated nutcases are strong enough to knock a bull in the ass and break its neck. I've dealt with a few that actually liked stun guns, and laughed when hit with pepper spray. " End Quote

I do not care how much retarded strength he had, a Taser from Taser INT if deployed correctly would have shut him down.  The Taser’s from that company are not a pain compliance tool, they fuse with the CNS and shut you down with uncontrollable muscle constriction at a mere 19 times per second.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Good shoot.

I wonder if Joe Citizen would be cleared for doing the same thing, however.

Joe citizen chases psychotics around on the interstate?
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

GREAT POINT!

Thats whats so difficult about carrying you cannot allow yourself to get in a wrestling match, if someone is attacking you armed or not I am assuming they are fighting for control of my weapon and therefore they will be shot or cut.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Joe citizen chases psychotics around on the interstate?

No. Let's say the mentally ill guy pulled the same thing in the parking lot of a gas station. Or the hospital. Or in the road in front of his house while someone was walking by.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:41:16 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
t sez "retreated 50 feet"  I have got to believe that if the nutbag followed him, it would have said "at close range."

You are assuming reporters know how to write and can convey a clear and coherent thought, which I have YET to see any reporter do when covering a shooting.

Most reporters have no clue of how to properly use the English language. How could they? They go to colleges and universities that don't require learning English any more.

+ 1,000,000!  They are usless.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:41:52 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought it was funny

Glad you find death amusing. Where are your conservative values you talk about so often.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Don't cops get baton traing anymore or just pepper spray then shoot.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:07:04 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Don't cops get baton traing anymore or just pepper spray then shoot.

Those batons are just for looks.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 2:07:30 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought it was funny

Glad you find death amusing. Where are your conservative values you talk about so often.

Ahhh shut up, it was funny.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought it was funny

Personal responsiblity, gun ownership, Marksmanship, decisiveness, the rule of law and right to self defense are conservative values in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:46:38 PM EDT
[#50]

they have the bad-ass ninja kung-fu grip, and they have learned to be bad muthas while stalking around their living room in their underoos with an AR-15...

Stop looking through my windows!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top