Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2004 5:02:47 PM EDT
Breaking news just on re: what the authorities are calling sabotage to a couple of high tension towers.  Power outage at the MKE airport for a couple of hours tonight.  The speculation is that the perps removed some bolts and the towers fell over.  No further details at this time.

Terrorism or Halloween prank?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:04:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#2]
pretty risky and a lil early for a Halloween prank.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#3]
they removed the bolts?  

I though those pesky terrorist type people always used explosives to get their way.   This sounds more like "hey bubba, betcha a case of beer you can't get that bolt outta there"  "ok, hold my beer and watch this"
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#4]
A couple weeks ago, the electric company was pulling tight - installing - our 138 kv line.  They were thinking gosh, it is getting mighty hard to pull, or something like that.  They went to check it out, and a 52" bull moose got his head tangled in the wire and got pulled to nearly powerline height.

We potted it and turned it into fish and game, who turned it over to the food bank.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:18:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
A couple weeks ago, the electric company was pulling tight - installing - our 138 kv line.  They were thinking gosh, it is getting mighty hard to pull, or something like that.  They went to check it out, and a 52" bull moose got his head tangled in the wire and got pulled to nearly powerline height.

We potted it and turned it into fish and game, who turned it over to the food bank.

Ouch.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:19:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I've always wondered when the terrorists would start picking off these easy targets.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:19:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Alternatively, some dude was building something in his garage, needed some bolts, and Home Depot was closed …
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:26:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I remember a while back reading an article about a bunch of ecoterrorist, fruit and granola types pulling bolts out of power sites out west, maybe they are branching out.

PH33R the POW3R of ELF
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, sounds like the work of the ELF (Earth Liberation Front). They have been known to perform similar acts in the past.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Two really drunk rednecks were four wheelin down the powerline and got a flat. Really drunk.

Hey Ned!! These lugnuts is realy tight and could ya lower the jack a bit???!!!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I remember a while back reading an article about a bunch of ecoterrorist, fruit and granola types pulling bolts out of power sites out west, maybe they are branching out.

PH33R the POW3R of ELF

Those wankers...

I'm not ready to call Islamic Terror on this one....    ELF possibly, but I'd go with the "hey watch this" circumstance at the moment...

- BG
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:35:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, it could be a couple guys who consumed one too many PBRs and said, "Hold my beer and watch this...."
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Alternatively, some dude was building something in his garage, needed some bolts, and Home Depot was closed …

Some REALLY big bolts...
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:26:57 PM EDT
[#15]
READ "THE MONKEY WRENCH GANG" BY EDWARD ABBEY. A ROLLICKING STORY ABOUT ECO-VANDALISM AT IT'S FINEST!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Remember the Two Transformer station fires in a week in arizona????

Never ever happened before....

2 in one week.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#17]
DU troll just outed himself.....

Quoted:
READ "THE MONKEY WRENCH GANG" BY EDWARD ABBEY. A ROLLICKING STORY ABOUT ECO-VANDALISM AT IT'S FINEST!

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#19]
No DU troll. It was a novel that I enjoyed in my youth, I believe it was published in the early seventies.

A motley crew consisting of a doctor, a mormon, a vietnam vet, and a beautiful young woman (the doctor's girlfriend) that set out on an escapade of destruction in the southwest. They burned billboards, derailed trains, yanked surveyor stakes, sabotaged coal conveyors and heavy equipment, and much much more.

There was some good firearms stuff in it too. A great read!
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Over at DU they are saying it's the republicans trying to scare folks into voting for Bush  Need to raise the terra alert ya know..  DU=DimFuck

edited to complet my thought
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:02:16 PM EDT
[#21]
About 20 years ago ELF or PETA did that same thing in Minnesota
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#22]
ELF and PETA = TERRORISTS...KILL 'EM...
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
DU troll just outed himself.....

Quoted:

Oh crap, so if I said I read the Turner Diaries I'm a white supremacist?
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Update: well, no news really.  Power was out for 17000 residents, all restored now.  The airport functioned on back-up power.  One tower may have fallen into the other and caused some lines to fall on adjacent railroad tracks.  A LE spokesman stated on the 10PM news that they are waiting for the power co. people to secure the downed lines before they can investigate.  He refused to speculate as to a cause for the tower(s) collapse.  When asked about a rumored FBI statement allegging sabotage, he deferred comment.  Surprisingly; the local news media are not doing their usual hype job.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#26]
No boom...

Not foreign terrorisim...

Although I wouldn't rule out the enviroweenies, sounds like someone had a beef with (a) the airport,  or (b) WE Energies (friendly local power monopoly)...

Probably closer to 'Bulldozer Bob' than Osama Bin laden...

If it had been foreign terrorists they would have used a bomb & made repairs much more difficult...

P.S. I live in Milwaukee... The airport is fine, they have backups (uh, duh)...
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:30:42 PM EDT
[#27]
This is probably going to turn out to be some kind of freak accident.  You know, like somebody walking their male lab along the power right-of-way, dog pisses on the same tower leg every day and the resulting corrosion eventually weakens it, something like that.  Will report back when there's more news.

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:31:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Two really drunk rednecks were four wheelin down the powerline and got a flat. Really drunk.

Hey Ned!! These lugnuts is realy tight and could ya lower the jack a bit???!!!!

There's nowhere to 4-wheel around this airport... It's in an urban area, surrounded by commercial real-estate (and some houses, who's owners consistantly whine to the Govt about the noise, despite the fact that they knowingly moved in nest to a GODDAMN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT)....
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:43:39 PM EDT
[#29]
This reminds me of the "Stromsaeger" (powerline sawers, literally) that used to saw high tension power masts apart in W Germany years ago. Wackjob enviro types who would sometimes get electrocuted and be found fried to a crispy, crackly crunch.* Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of assholes.....

*"Schmeckt nach...Brathendl!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top