Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/16/2001 8:24:46 AM EDT
I understand the "gunshow loophole" but what the hell are they talking about, stop the importation of high capacity ammunition clips? Isn't that covered under the 94 AW ban? Is this ignorance or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 8:29:33 AM EDT
[#1]
They can't be manufactured any longer, except for LEO use, but high-cap magazines (not "clips") previously manufactured may still be imported and purchased by us peasants.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 8:31:34 AM EDT
[#2]
All my striper clips are 10 rounds anyway, never seen one over that. If you are talking about magazines, I believe the '94 ban stopped production of standard capacity magazines.  All mags must be reduced to ten rounds or less.  As far as importation, IM really not sure.  Ill be interested to see what others come up with.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 8:34:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Please note use of word "clips" is not my nomenclature. See Dubya's new gun policy. I know clip from magazine.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 8:37:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Apologies, then, gunmonkey.  It's a pet peeve of mine....should have known everyone on this board can tell the difference.

"The beginning of wisdom is calling things by their proper names"
Chinese saying
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I also suffer from that pet peave.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 8:51:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Heckler and Koch ( sounds like COKE!)
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 8:52:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Heckler and Koch ( sounds like COKE!)
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 8:57:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry, my medical marijuana just kicked in.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I am also guilty of mispronouncing Heckler & Koch. I used to say "Koch" literally. Then someone told me it's pronounced like "coke" and that still sounds kind of silly to me so I just say "H K" and everyone understands that.

BTW lets hope that they keep using the word "clip" when they draft the laws. I dont think I've ever seen a clip (stripper or otherwise) with a capacity higher than 10 rounds. That way we can still import std-cap MAGAZINES under the law. [;d]
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Part of the problem with stupid laws is nomenclature. Assault Weapon, Gun Safety, clip, magazine, semi-automatic, automatic. Those people don't know what law they're passing or what already exists.
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 9:13:04 AM EDT
[#13]
It will be defined as a ammunition feeding device as in the original 94 ban, meaning magazines and links.

I don't understand you people. First you say "vote for dubyah he is pro-gun", now you are praying that he is so stupid that he doesn't know the difference between a clip and a magazine and bans the wrong thing.

Link Posted: 5/16/2001 9:29:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
It will be defined as a ammunition feeding device as in the original 94 ban, meaning magazines and links.

Okay, so what is Dubya talking about when he says " ban importation of high capacity ammunition clips?" Is that not covered by the 94 law? Specifics. What clips? Where?
Link Posted: 5/16/2001 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Ya so what? Gore was A rated by the NRA when he was a senator. What counts is what dubyah is doing NOW.

You can play all of the word games you want the end result will still be the same. Did you people even read the website?

"Include imported high-capacity ammunition clips to current ban.  Governor Bush supports extending the current ban
                         on high-capacity ammunition clips to include those imported from foreign countries."

When laws are written there are always definitions included of the thing affected. For example "assault weapons". There was no such thing until it was legally defined first in kalifornia's roberti-roos then the 1994 omnibus crime bill.

1994 federal law:

18 U.S.C. Chapter 44

921(a)(31) The term 'large capacity ammunition feeding device' -

(A) means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device
                           manufactures after the date of enactment of the Violent Crime Control
                           and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 that has a capacity of, or that can
                           be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of
                           ammunition"

The 94 ban allowed the importation of all standard capacity magazines manufactured before september 13, 1994. Why do you think you can still get $6 FAL mags? As the mag ban is PART of the 1994 "assault weapon" ban, dubyah is either going to prevent the law from sunsetting in 2004 or he is going to push for a new law banning standard capacity magazines. If it comes down to it he probably will just e.o. it in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top