Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/16/2006 8:49:35 AM EDT
I went to my old high school's website and was just amazed at what happened. When I went, it was probably THE BEST high school in the city. It achieved high marks in academics and was just an all around GREAT public high school. We had a law studies program that prepared students for law school. It was a fun time.

Now I see the school has traded it in for: (get this)

Harry Potter Club... WTF?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:50:43 AM EDT
It's happening everywhere. It's called, "dumbing down America". MJD
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:50:55 AM EDT
Duh, Harry Potter did not exits when she was in high school. If it did, there would have been a club.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:52:50 AM EDT
Education is being geared for the lowest common denominator....Hey, we can't have anybody with hurt feelings because they can't spell, or read, or add, or....
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:53:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DrFrige:
I went to my old high school's website and was just amazed at what happened. When I went, it was probably THE BEST high school in the city. It achieved high marks in academics and was just an all around GREAT public high school. We had a law studies program that prepared students for law school. It was a fun time.

Now I see the school has traded it in for: (get this)

Harry Potter Club... WTF?

I think the club thing is only a measurement of the extracurricular interests of the student body. In your schools case, theres enough of an interest in Harry to form a club. My high school had all sorts of weird clubs too, 25 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:55:27 AM EDT
you need to post a link!

and i find it hard to believe that highschool kids would take aprt in a harry potter club. if this was around when i was in highschool, me and my friends would have made their lives a living hell
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:56:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By chips:
you need to post a link!

and i find it hard to believe that highschool kids would take aprt in a harry potter club. if this was around when i was in highschool, me and my friends would have made their lives a living hell

Yeah....like the Dungeons and Dragons club
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:56:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By highwayman:

+1
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:58:43 AM EDT
I was in the Chess Club.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:58:47 AM EDT
It's a club tt is not mandatory so don't worry about it. Although I do agree American kids are becomind dumber by the second. But I doubt a Harry Potter club is to blame.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:00:41 AM EDT
The Harry Potter club didn't cause this, thats just a reeplacement for the Lord of the Rings club.

Reason there's no law studies club anymore is there's enough bloodsucking attorneys out there clogging the legal system with fraudulent, frivolous and immoral lawsuits.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:02:09 AM EDT
In my day, we hoods would have protected all the Harry Potter Club dorks from the jocks because we wore cool Megadeath T-shirts and played D&D while listening to Ronnie James Dio backwards.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:10:31 AM EDT
Perhaps the Harry Potter club exist solely to prepare those kids who wish to attend Hogwarts School of Wizardry when they graduate.....ever think of that?

roy d...stupid muggles
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:12:50 AM EDT
This thread got me curious enough to check my high schools website. No clubs are listed..but my old Junior High lists about 20 clubs on THEIR website,a nd they are the typical clubs you'd expect at any school. No Harry Potter, either.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:12:57 AM EDT
Harry Potter Club? Harry fucking Potter? When I was in school, the Chess club would have beat them up, just because. My God.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:14:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/16/2006 9:28:41 AM EDT by Bostonterrier97]
My High School had the dubious distinction of having one of the founding Members of the Symbionese Liberation Army graduate from it.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:18:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By highwayman:

Its part of their plan.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:19:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By darwindog:
The Harry Potter club didn't cause this, thats just a reeplacement for the Lord of the Rings club.

Reason there's no law studies club anymore is there's enough bloodsucking attorneys out there clogging the legal system with fraudulent, frivolous and immoral lawsuits.

No its because you need a 4 year degree to get into 99.9% of law schools. A few crap HS level courses are not going to help you one way or another.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:20:13 AM EDT
I love how everybody says that all of America's schools are being dumbed down, and this is evidence of it. At my HS, we have anime fan clubs and the like... as well as chapters of the National Honor Society, DECA, FBLA, 100 graduating seniors each year with International Baccalaureate diplomas and many more with at least one IB or AP course certificate (most of whom have many more), 100% of all graduating seniors having taken at least algebra (a college level course in many areas), and more than 90% in higher-level math courses, etc., etc., etc.

Even people in calculus need to have extracurricular activities, and some people like Harry Potter. Get over it. Kids these days are not dumb.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:24:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MagKnightX:
I love how everybody says that all of America's schools are being dumbed down, and this is evidence of it. At my HS, we have anime fan clubs and the like... as well as chapters of the National Honor Society, DECA, FBLA, 100 graduating seniors each year with International Baccalaureate diplomas and many more with at least one IB or AP course certificate (most of whom have many more), 100% of all graduating seniors having taken at least algebra (a college level course in many areas), and more than 90% in higher-level math courses, etc., etc., etc.

Even people in calculus need to have extracurricular activities, and some people like Harry Potter. Get over it. Kids these days are not dumb.

And of course your one example represents the entire collective state of the US high school system.

Wake up man, where did the dumb fucks that can't give you the right order at Burger King come from? Oh yea that would be our public school system.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:25:32 AM EDT
cartman// what are you guys playing, harry potter? fags//cartman
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:53:15 AM EDT
Just another sign that public school is a joke. My kids will be homeschooled or sent to a very conservative private school.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:58:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:02:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By BenDover:
In my day, we hoods would have protected all the Harry Potter Club dorks from the jocks because we wore cool Megadeath T-shirts and played D&D while listening to Ronnie James Dio backwards.

Megadeath, RJD, backassward music, D&D, brings back sweet memories.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:06:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Stoney-Point:

Originally Posted By chips:
you need to post a link!

Yeah....like the Dungeons and Dragons club

the difference is you would either be arrested for being a "domestic terrorist" or would have caused a school shooting.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:11:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/16/2006 10:12:02 AM EDT by twonami]
I was a metal shop major
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:16:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bostonterrier97:
My High School had the dubious distinction of having one of the founding Members of the Symbionese Liberation Army graduate from it.

www.citypages.com/imagebank/articles/21_1045/21_1045a9222_m3.jpg

we had a student expelled who moved to CA and beat the crap out of the white guy who was dragged from that truck during the LA riots.
Top Top