Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/7/2010 12:21:35 PM EDT
I've had a few cheap green hoses that start to burst if you leave them on all the time. Eventually a bulge starts to form near the fittings, and then that bulge turns into a leak. I don't want to replace hoses every 3-4 weeks, and decided to get something better.

At Blackhawk Hardware (Tru Value) they have a few hoses with PSI ratings over 400psi. I thought this would work, but the salesperson told me that this is a running water pressure rating, not a static one. He said that even their nicest industrial hoses probably would not stand up to being left on constantly with one of those sprayers on the end controlling on/off. He told me where the fitting meets the hose is a weak point, and most of them give out there.

Does anyone have experience with leaving hoses on all the time with a sprayer on the end? Are there hoses made for this purpose? I thought about a rigid solution with either PVC or PEX, but I'd likely bring it in during the winter, or dig it 12-18" deep.

I could always call a plumber to put a a new hose bib in the back where I want the water, but this is still a compromise...in that it's not constantly on-demand. This would cost me a few hundred dollars though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:45:05 PM EDT
We leave ours on a lot at home with no leaks whatsoever. Its one of the orange colored Goodyear hoses - haven't had a problem doing it that way for quite a few years
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:47:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By the_supreme_g33k:
We leave ours on a lot at home with no leaks whatsoever. Its one of the orange colored Goodyear hoses - haven't had a problem doing it that way for quite a few years

Somehow I doubt that...(Wisconsin)
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:52:28 PM EDT
I leave mine on except when it might freeze ( not that offten). Black hoses from Sam's Club on a metal hose reel. 2 hoses and a sprayer. No bulges or leaks. It even frooze last winter.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:57:07 PM EDT
Sears has some great hoses especilly there black ones with a lifetime guarantee.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:01:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 1:01:58 PM EDT by roadsiderob]
Try a hydraulic shop. The local shop here sells water noses that they make. It's a matter of using high quality parts and hose that will stand up to your use and they should be able to supply what you need or make a suitable recommendation.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:06:59 PM EDT
automotive heater hose make the best garden hoses I have found
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:08:35 PM EDT
Use a washer hot water hoze. They have ones guaranteed for a decade. In my own hobbie of moving water around the house, I have found: Go industrial. If you don't you will come home to your front door being a small waterfall.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:42:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 1:43:20 PM EDT by BoreSighted]
Gatorhyde - looks sort of like green hose, but is drinking water safe, which green hoses are not. Guaranteed for life.

Holds up to anything, and they sell a 3/4" ID hose, where consumer hoses are usually either 1/2" or 5/8" ID. The flow rate difference can be significant depending on your application.

I am just a very satisfied customer. Can buy direct from them at www.factorydirecthose.com

http://www.factorydirecthose.com/site/932652/product/Gatorhyde34x75-N

edited to add: That link is 3/4" x 75 feet, just one sample. You can get any major diameter and all kinds of lengths.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:55:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/7/2010 2:03:32 PM EDT by A_G]
Gilmour 8-Ply Flexogen Hose

http://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-10-34050-4-Inch-50-Foot-Flexogen/dp/B00002N67S/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

Made in USA. They can be a little heavy, hard to move especially under pressure, and not terribly flexible, but it's a damn fine hose.

ETA:
The post about hydraulic hose might not be a bad idea, but you'd need an adaptor to make it thread on the hose bib. That might be a weak spot despite all other parts/fittings holding up.
Top Top