Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 12:21:35 PM EDT
I've had a few cheap green hoses that start to burst if you leave them on all the time.  Eventually a bulge starts to form near the fittings, and then that bulge turns into a leak.  I don't want to replace hoses every 3-4 weeks, and decided to get something better.  

At Blackhawk Hardware (Tru Value) they have a few hoses with PSI ratings over 400psi.  I thought this would work, but the salesperson told me that this is a running water pressure rating, not a static one.  He said that even their nicest industrial hoses probably would not stand up to being left on constantly with one of those sprayers on the end controlling on/off.  He told me where the fitting meets the hose is a weak point, and most of them give out there.

Does anyone have experience with leaving hoses on all the time with a sprayer on the end?  Are there hoses made for this purpose?  I thought about a rigid solution with either PVC or PEX, but I'd likely bring it in during the winter, or dig it 12-18" deep.

I could always call a plumber to put a a new hose bib in the back where I want the water, but this is still a compromise...in that it's not constantly on-demand.  This would cost me a few hundred dollars though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:45:05 PM EDT
[#1]
We leave ours on a lot at home with no leaks whatsoever.  Its one of the orange colored Goodyear hoses - haven't had a problem doing it that way for quite a few years
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
We leave ours on a lot at home with no leaks whatsoever.  Its one of the orange colored Goodyear hoses - haven't had a problem doing it that way for quite a few years

Somehow I doubt that...(Wisconsin)
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I leave mine on except when it might freeze ( not that offten).  Black hoses from Sam's Club on a metal hose reel.  2 hoses and a sprayer.  No bulges or leaks.  It even frooze last winter.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Sears has some great hoses especilly there black ones with a lifetime  guarantee.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Try a hydraulic shop. The local shop here sells water noses that they make. It's a matter of using high quality parts and hose that will stand up to your use and they should be able to supply what you need or make a suitable recommendation.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#6]
automotive heater hose make the best garden hoses I have found
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:08:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Use a washer hot water hoze. They have ones guaranteed for a decade. In my own hobbie of moving water around the house, I have found: Go industrial. If you don't you will come home to your front door being a small waterfall.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Gatorhyde - looks sort of like green hose, but is drinking water safe, which green hoses are not. Guaranteed for life.

Holds up to anything, and they sell a 3/4" ID hose, where consumer hoses are usually either 1/2" or 5/8" ID. The flow rate difference can be significant depending on your application.

I am just a very satisfied customer. Can buy direct from them at  www.factorydirecthose.com

http://www.factorydirecthose.com/site/932652/product/Gatorhyde34x75-N

edited to add: That link is 3/4" x 75 feet, just one sample. You can get any major diameter and all kinds of lengths.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Gilmour 8-Ply Flexogen Hose

http://www.amazon.com/Gilmour-10-34050-4-Inch-50-Foot-Flexogen/dp/B00002N67S/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

Made in USA. They can be a little heavy, hard to move especially under pressure, and not terribly flexible, but it's a damn fine hose.

ETA:
The post about hydraulic hose might not be a bad idea, but you'd need an adaptor to make it thread on the hose bib. That might be a weak spot despite all other parts/fittings holding up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top