Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2011 12:42:06 PM EDT
I remember seeing a long time ago, a thread where people were putting their guns and valuables in things&places that people would least expect. For example someone had a gun strapped on the back of the cab behind the bench seat, someone else had a gun in a tennis racket bag, ect.

I keep valuables in my truck and would like to think of a way to keep them from getting stolen since I have a nice truck and live in one of the cities with the highest car jacking rate.

Throw your ideas at me.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#1]
get an alarm...
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:48:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Not for nothing, but wouldn't putting all our hiding spots on the internet be counterproductive?  Concealed means concealed and all that...
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:49:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Not for nothing, but wouldn't putting all our hiding spots on the internet be counterproductive?  Concealed means concealed and all that...

Your sensibility confuses and confounds me.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:51:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
get an alarm...

Car alarms don't do anything these days...  it could go off in a grocery store parking lot and hardly anyone even looks in that direction.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#5]
One of my coworkers had his car broken into in front of the firehouse once.

The thief/thieves stole a handful of change from the console and a duffle bag full of dirty laundry.

Never leave anything in your car that you wouldn't want to see stolen.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:52:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I just keep my truck pretty trashy.
No thief is gonna take time to look for valuables in an old Mcdonalds bag.
Besides the rat might get them first.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:04:22 PM EDT
[#7]
There are lots of places in a vehicle to hide things, most of them are relatively inaccessible.
If you want a handy hide you'll have to build one.
Trim panels and super-magnets are your friends.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:06:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your sensibility confuses and confounds me.  

And yet, the man has a valid point!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If they're looking for drugs they will.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:10:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Somewhere I read about a company that can build hidden compartments into your vehicle.
IIRC, they built them right into the dash.

Anyone ever hear of them?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:11:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:25:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Good choice.  If it were a Coke box I'd grab it and stop by a liquor store on my way home.  Boy would I be surprised when I opened it up and found a rifle inside!

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:25:50 PM EDT
[#13]
That works
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#14]
You'll never find the hidden killswitch under my seat.

Wait...
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:36:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Use you imagination.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Serial criminals probably know the good spots to hide stuff in your vehicle better than you do.
Smash and grabbers probably will just grab what's easy.
I throw a blanket or jacket over stuff.  No real good places in my car to hide stuff and still have it be accessible.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Pelican case in floor behind the front seat (assuming you have an extended cab truck or larger, use steel cables & padlocks to secure to seat frame.

Won't stop them, but will slow them down so the smash and grab types will be thwarted.

Tinted windows to keep out prying eyes.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Serial criminals probably know the good spots to hide stuff in your vehicle better than you do.

Smash and grabbers probably will just grab what's easy.

Sort of a no-win.

Just as a professional car thief will steal your car even if you leave it on blocks and take the motor out.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#19]
When I park the Jeep, I open the glove box, console, etc, and leave everything easy to see.

I figure if it looks like its already been tossed, why toss it again?
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:43:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I remember seeing a long time ago, a thread where people were putting their guns and valuables in things&places that people would least expect. For example someone had a gun strapped on the back of the cab behind the bench seat, someone else had a gun in a tennis racket bag, ect.

I keep valuables in my truck and would like to think of a way to keep them from getting stolen since I have a nice truck and live in one of the cities with the highest car jacking rate.

Throw your ideas at me.

Good idea. Lets all share where we stash our shit!
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Throw your ideas at me.

IIRC it's a felony to have a hidden compartment in your car in CA.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:06:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Put this on the floor, hide gun underneath:

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:10:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Throw your ideas at me.

Since when?  This is news to me.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#25]
I used to drive a Ford Ranger. I'd stash my .38 in an old, crumpled McDonalds bag on the floor. It blended right in with the coffee cups.
Now I have an Escape with a secret compartment...
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#26]

this and some wire.
http://img62.imageshack.us/i/dsc01241ak.jpg

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Throw your ideas at me.

I have heard the same thing about other states, as well.

Seriously? It's my fucking car.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:01:09 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't have any really good spots, but I don't keep much in my car.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:04:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Velcro an Uncle Mike's holster up under the seat.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:04:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Throw your ideas at me.

It's a felony to think in CA, too.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

My strategy. Also keeps cops from offering to search the vehicle.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:08:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Throw your ideas at me.

That's one law that probably never gets broken.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:20:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Throw your ideas at me.

That's one law that probably never gets broken.

*ba dum tiss*
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:39:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
get an alarm...

Car alarms don't do anything these days...  it could go off in a grocery store parking lot and hardly anyone even looks in that direction.

That's because every douchebag in America has his car alarm set to go off if it rains or if a car with dual exhausts drives by within 20 feet of it. I hate those things. If your alarm sounds for more than ten seconds and there's no evidence of an attempted theft or break-in, any person who wishes to do so should be allowed to beat all the glass out of it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:40:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Throw your ideas at me.

Another reason to let it sink.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:04:07 AM EDT
[#36]
You can always buy a Pacsafe.  I used one in my Land Cruiser and still use it in my other vehicles including using it to secure my motorcycle jacket to the bike.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top