Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2005 3:56:33 PM EDT
So I'm driving through Hickam AFB (next to Pearl Harbor) yesterday to go fishing on one of the bonefish flats and HOLY SHIT they still have bullet holes in the some of the building from the attack!!!

That sort of brings it into focus.

That is all. Carry on.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#1]
After spending ten years on Okinawa, going through caves and old battle sites, nothing surprises me. There are still munitions, bones, etc, laying all over the place there.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:03:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup, the HQ PACAF Bldg still has holes in it.  I worked across the street from it for some time in the early 90s.

Anyone on the island tell you about the haunted bldgs and such?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Being in the USAF, I heard a story about a haunted KC-135 tanker. Apparently the crew chief died onboard during a mission. I forget the details, though.

Thread hijack over...

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:28:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Go up to Wheeler Army Airfield next to Schofield and take a look at the fire station.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I was at Pearl for the first time in 1972, and there was some evidence.  Mostly shelters no longer in use.  But they were still getting over the filming of Tora Tora Tora.  Apparently that shook up a lot of folks.  Several of the buildings were still there but most if not all had the damage repaired.  Then again they had the Arizona and Utah still in place.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, lots of history there.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:03:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I think I read many years ago that they decided not to repair the buildings, but leave them pock-marked for posterity!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top