Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2001 1:33:50 AM EDT
Anybody ever make your own MRE's?  

Just made some myself.  Hope they last.  

I put them in daily packs instead of "per meal".  Just made more sense to me.  Approx 2700 to 3000 calories (hey, not a perfectionist, just a paranoid).  Each contains 1/2 cup of unsalted mixed nuts (no peanuts - yuck), 3 cliff style power bars, dehydrated fruit (apples n pears), home-made beef jerky (a lot), a multi-vitamin, 2 small hersheys choco bars (thank you halloween sales), and a packet of gatorade powder.  Nuts, jerky, and bars vacuum packed seperately.  powder in a packet.  All of it is vacuum packed in a larger bag.  A days supply is about the same size as a mil type MRE, not as varied, but damned,... I'm putting it all in there.

Think I'll make some pemmican this week, just to see what it really tastes like (and it can be stored for many years).  My Beef Jerky is world class.  Been giving it away as Christmas presents for the last 8 years and they always beg for more (and I give each a lot).  I can and have eaten it for a week.

Anyway.... any of you try to make your own?  What types of things do you put in yours.  Looking for ideas before I seal up this batch.  This batch is a 7 day supply for 3.

Also, each days MRE's has a packet of matches, a wad of TP, 3 handi-wipes.  One (the first) has a travel toothbrush and small thing of paste.  And every 7th one has small toothpaste, small soap container(biodegradable liquid - good stuff), and two disposable razors.

Thinking of even putting an airline sized container of booze in a couple of them.  Just to make sure I have a little bit of "civilization" around in case the terrorists decide to hit the liquor stores [;)]

Ideas?  suggestions?  

Link Posted: 9/22/2001 1:52:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Not into the survivalist thing, but unsalted nuts? YUCK!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 1:56:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Not into the survivalist thing, but unsalted nuts? YUCK!!!!!!!!!
View Quote

OMG, those are the best.  And they don't make you drink a gallon of water.  I leave that to the Jerky.

To each his own.... besides... after a few months I'll probably do like last time and eat them all while camping anyway. [:D] Then make more of course.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 4:40:47 AM EDT
[#3]
A couple years back I bought one of those Vacuum Sealers. It cost a pretty penny but I got a good one and I use it for many things.

I buy all my food in large quantities and then seperate items into 1 meal(Family) portions.
Saves time and room in the fridge\freezer.

I also have a Deli slicer for making my own lunch meat.

It is absolutely amazing, the freshness of food that has been in the fridge for a few weeks,
that has been vacuum sealed verses a few days for stuff that hasn't.

No more freezer burn, No more raunchy leftovers.

I also use it for my reloads, important papers,
collectables, old documents...
Limited only to your imagination.

Hadn't thought of MRE's but that is a good idea.

FWIW food stays extremely fresh, for example
I have a block of cheese that has been hiding in the back of the fridge for at least 6-8 months.
With no visible signs of spoilage.
Sort of an ongoing experiment. [:)]

Del
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Each contains 1/2 cup of unsalted mixed nuts....

My Beef Jerky is world class.  Been giving it away as Christmas presents for the last 8 years and they always beg for more (and I give each a lot).  I can and have eaten it for a week.
View Quote

That is pretty good idea.  It won't be in one of those super tough poly-amid packages, strong enough to take a mk82 bomb hit and they are not cheap, but you can literally get more bang for your buck.  Maybe for some of us, we can pack some ourselves and get some of the govt-style MREs as a backup.  Remember always have a plan B.

For some of us middle age folks, we should be on a low-sodium diet.  I looked at the nutritional info on the package of a MRE, and they are loaded up the gazoo with sodium.

Would you like to share with us your recipe for beef jerky?
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, share your recipe for jerky. My dad just started making it and it's pretty darn tasty. I'm getting one for myself when the tax refund comes.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#6]
A good vacuum sealer is a very valuable item to have!  I was going to go into some of the things I've used mine for.... but think you should use your own imagination!

Get a good one! Yes, they're expensive! But they pay for themselves in a very short time!

I too would like to hear Stealth's jerky recipe!

You guys that are jerky experts, please look at the jerky recipes on this site and tell me which one sounds the best to you.

[url]http://www.melborponsti.com/jerky/index.shtml[/url]

DaMan

Dyslexia is a terible thnig!
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A good vacuum sealer is a very valuable item to have!  I was going to go into some of the things I've used mine for.... but think you should use your own imagination!

Get a good one! Yes, they're expensive! But they pay for themselves in a very short time!
View Quote

I know some other guy on this board that uses the vacuum seal his ammo in those plastic bags.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 12:42:27 PM EDT
[#8]
The Jerky recipe is pretty easy.  I use a dehydrator for it.  I don't have a set recipe, but it's always pretty close.

I use a large container for the brine.  A 32 cup tupperware container.

Approx 3 quarts of Soy sauce.  Use the low sodium stuff.  It's still got plenty of salt in it.  Just doesn't have too much.

1 to 2 (3.5oz) bottles of liquid smoke flavoring.  I use Wrights concentrated Hickory seasoning.  Usually two bottles.  

Black pepper.  I usually just pour it on top the soy sauce until it covers it up really good.

Then I pour cayenne pepper on it until it covers up the black pepper.

Then I pour on chili powder until it covers up the cayenne pepper. [:D]

About 15 squirts of Tabasco next.

If I have it available I'll throw in chopped jalepeno's and cayenne's.

Stir it up.

For the meat I tend to use slabs of "London Broil" from the local meat market.  Not much fat.  And slice it approx 1/8" with an electric food slicer.  I used to do it with a knife, but when I make it I tend to make a lot.

Throw the meat in the brine.  When my containers about half full, I add more of the pepper, like I did before in layers and mix it all up.  Let it soak for 24 to 48 hours in the fridge.

The peppers don't really give it a lot of "kick", but I like the flavor.  To make it spicier I add a little black pepper to the meat after I pull it out of the brine.

I put it on the dehydrator, heat at 145 degrees for a couple hours, then knock the temp down to about 135 until done.  Usually about 7 to 9 hours (depending on thickness, fat content etc).

Anyway, that's how I do it.  It comes out with good smoked flavor, isn't too hot (a little spicy) or salty.  

Basically, a lot of typeing to say..... put soy sauce in a bucket, add a bunch of pepper, let it soak and dehydrate it. [:D]

That's for about10 to 12 lbs of meat (before cooking).
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Vacuum sealers are great.  I have a bad habit of continually buying ammo [:D].  Once in a while I'll put what I don't shoot in a vacuum bag, stuff it in an ammo can and vacuum pack it right in the ammo can.

I go a little nuts with my toys sometime.  I've probably got 2000 rounds of .22 LR that's been packed away for the last 3 years.

Wanna do something funny?  vacuum pack an apple.  Let it sit in the sun.  In about a week you'll hear a large pop! Too much time on my hands it seems.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 1:04:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nice recipes, and good stuff, but until you can irradiate your own MRE-equivalents, their shelf life will be measured in months rather than years.
View Quote

Correct!  Pemmican might be able to stand the test of time, but the jerky wont, even vacuumed.  I tend to go through them during hunting season, then start over.

warlord mentioned having the real thing so it can be stored for prolonged periods of time.  Good advise.  But for now, I'll make due on what I have.  Just knowing the limitations.

Thanks for chiming in, raf.  I don't want to give anyone the idea these things are the equivalent of the mil-spec stuff.  Just a handy do it yourself back-up.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Which machine? Can I buy one on the internet?
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 1:18:14 PM EDT
[#13]
My vacuum pack machine is a "FoodSaver compact II" found at a lot of stores under the "as seen on TV" sign [:D].  My dehydrator is a "Harvest Maid" with a lot of extra racks.  My deli slicer is a "Rival".  It's cheap, but works fine for this type of stuff once in a while.

I'm sure you can find them or similar products on the internet, I just haven't looked.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 1:20:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Nice recipes, and good stuff, but until you can irradiate your own MRE-equivalents, their shelf life will be measured in months rather than years.
View Quote

Roger That!!! I keep about a 3 month supply of MRE's, 5 gallon jugs bottled water, trail mix, etc. on hand all of the time. I tent camp every year in the Achafalaya Basin Swamp and eat only MRE's and any fish I catch. My wife camps with me. Those Vacuum Pack units look real handy. Been meaning to buy one. Of course we have hurricanes down here so another reason to keep emergency supplies on hand. The Boy Scout Motto "Be Prepared" never grows old.

Changed the "Nuts" to "Mix", you know, the bags that of all kinds of nuts, dried fruit, raisons, etc. Those Vacuum Pack Bags would be perfect for sealing the "Trail Mix" in. Also the new magazines that I buy at gun shows in the USGI Pack would be a perfect candidate.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 1:39:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 1:59:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A little OT, but the vacuum pack machines are awsome for vacuum packing ammo.  Think about it.
View Quote

Thought about it.  Done it! [:D]  DelMarksman mentioned several other things as well.

If someone has a "bug out bag" or likes to camp, it's good for cloths as well.  Keeps them dry and they pack nicely since they're compressed.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Damn, Stealth, you're one smart person.  I can tell, 'cause you like all the same stuff I do. [;)]
View Quote

[b]Ditto that[/b]

I usualy toss in a couple O2 absorbers with my ammo.

The sealer paid for itself in under a year in non-food spoilage alone.

You can boil the VS-ed bags so they are perfect for tossing in a cooler in Frozen Portions
and you won't have to worry about the food leaking all over the place when it melts.

Dry foods are even easier. Like grains or beans.
Takes up less space than non VS-ed bags, for tossing in a box or tight packing a backpack.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one here with a sealer and a Deli Slicer.

Also the Deli Slicer works great for
pre slicing Jerky meat.

Plus if you VS the meat and Marinade together the juice is drawn into the meat(like a sponge) more than just soaking.

I have even thought of Vacuum sealing some Firearms that I don't shoot very often.

The ideas are endless.

Great topic, Stealth [:)]

Del
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Ahhhhh shucks guys...

Think I might be going a little nuts with this thing though.

Just vacuum packed a pile of matches, some IB-profien and a can of copenhagen (just to test out the "freshness" aspects over time).

DelMarksman - Whew, I thought I was the only one who noticed an AR-15 could be shoved into one of those bags with the pistol grip removed [:D]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 9:42:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Bring some up!
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh man. I gotta get one of these things. The idea about packing clothes for keeping them dry camping is great!

-
FS
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 11:35:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Bring some up!
View Quote

Done.... Not sure if you want copenhagen, Jerky or ammo...  Ok, I KNOW you've got ammo, and the last time I saw you, you had copenhagen in every pocket, so I'll bring up some of the Beef jerky.  [:D]

See ya around noon.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 11:39:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Oh man. I gotta get one of these things. The idea about packing clothes for keeping them dry camping is great!

-
FS
View Quote

You're from Oregon, I'd expect ya to think about keeping the gear dry! [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top