Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/31/2005 4:01:25 PM EDT
I bought a house a few months ago and along my property i have pineapple plants. I've never grown pineapples so i have no idea about them. This one has gotten so big it fell over onto the ground. It's pretty good size. Same size as the ones you would buy at a produce stand or store. The only difference is it's orange and not brown. Why is it orange? Not ripe? a different kind of pineapple? It smells VERY sweet. Infact it's started to make my entire house smell like pineapple since i've brought it in about an hour ago. What's the deal with the color? I don't want to eat it if it's not that sort of fruit. Anyone have a clue? My luck it would be some sort of pineapple of death

J
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:02:37 PM EDT
Eat it, Nancy.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:03:08 PM EDT
looks like a good pineapple to eat, not all fruit looks like it does in the supermarket.

Chop it up and dig in!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:03:10 PM EDT
If you don't make it out alive, could I have your guns?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:04:50 PM EDT
Send me a few. I'll eat 'em for ya.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:05:03 PM EDT
they look more orange when they are given the chance to ripen on the tree, When you get them at the grocery store they have been cut down and kind of ripen before it gets to the grocery store hence the brown color. Eat it and enjoy it as long as the insides are not a real brown color it should be fine!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:05:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:05:38 PM EDT
No, this is the pineapple of death:

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:08:16 PM EDT
That pineapple is ready to eat from its looks.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:11:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:11:38 PM EDT
That looks like a good one. Chop the head off. Then cut it lengthwise into quarters. Then cut the center hard core out. Then you can either cut the skin off and cut the meat into cubes or you can leave the skin on and cut it into cubes.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:21:28 PM EDT
The 'leafs' will pull out with just a little resistence when ripe, if it's still green you won't hardly be able to pull it out with out tearing it.

It looks ripe, enjoy.......
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:22:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Dv8xbox:
they look more orange when they are given the chance to ripen on the tree, When you get them at the grocery store they have been cut down and kind of ripen before it gets to the grocery store hence the brown color. Eat it and enjoy it as long as the insides are not a real brown color it should be fine!

They don't grow on trees. More like a shrub, kinda waist high.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:26:22 PM EDT
I know they vaporize when you hit them at 10yds with a Win. 40gr hollow point .223.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:15:15 PM EDT
thanks guys... i'm going in !.... if i'm not back in 10 minutes....... just wait longer..

J
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:17:07 PM EDT
Hey!!!!!

SHARE!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:32:43 PM EDT
OK - My favorite pieapple recipe.

Cut off the top an d bottom

(sharp kife) skin the pineapple

Cut in half (lengthwise)

cut each half into 1/3rds

Cut out the core on each piece

Put on the grill for 6 minutes each side

Serve hot off the grill for dessert
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:41:44 PM EDT
My mouth is watering looking at that pineapple. That is my favorite fruit, I want some pineapple now!!!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:48:48 PM EDT
I hit it!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:52:56 PM EDT
It's ripe & ready to eat. Pineapples take an incredibly long time to mature in the field, it's not like you'll have a new batch any time soon, so don't let it go to waste.

The leaves in the center of the pineapple pull out easily when it's ripe. Pretty cool you have them growing on your property if you ask me.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:57:25 PM EDT
There are actually several different kinds of pineapples, with different shapes, colors, and tastes. When I was young, I had a cousin I used to hang around with. We used to stop along the roadway in Wahiawa, Oahu while on the way home from the North Shore. I used to run out from the car and "borrow" some of the pineapples from the Dole factory. Nothing like juicy, ripe, FREE pineapples.

And that pineapple you got looks GOOOOOD!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:58:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:01:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Persephone:
Hey!!!!!

SHARE!

+1
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:01:58 PM EDT
cut the top off and leave about 1.5 inches of meat and go plant it .

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:11:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/31/2005 6:20:29 PM EDT by ScrubJ]
It will probably be the sweetest pineapple you've ever had. We grow them all around our yard, and I just had one with my 5 year old grandson last week. You'd have thought it was candy the way he ate it.

I just cut mine into "rounds" leave the skin on, and cut the rounds into quarters. A good pineapple can be eaten this way, and won't rough up your mouth.

Thought I'd add, they are in the bromeliad family. The next time you are in the garden department of Lowe's, Home Despot, China-Mart, or any other place, and you see "bromelid" think of your pineapple. FWIW, do don't have to do anything fancy to replant the head. Just stick in the ground enough to stay upright, and give it a little water until it can hold its own.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:22:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Aim4MyHead:
I bought a house a few months ago and along my property i have pineapple plants. I've never grown pineapples so i have no idea about them. This one has gotten so big it fell over onto the ground. It's pretty good size. Same size as the ones you would buy at a produce stand or store. The only difference is it's orange and not brown. Why is it orange? Not ripe? a different kind of pineapple? It smells VERY sweet. Infact it's started to make my entire house smell like pineapple since i've brought it in about an hour ago. What's the deal with the color? I don't want to eat it if it's not that sort of fruit. Anyone have a clue? My luck it would be some sort of pineapple of death
img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/jrhack79/pineapple.jpg

J

Looks phoquin' PERFECT to me! Do you know how to peel them properly? As long as the "eyes" are the same size, they are RIPE. If they are NOT (yet) uniform they are NOT (yet) ripe. When they are brown, it's because they have been in the STORE too long!

Originally Posted By ARDOC:
That looks like a good one. Chop the head off. Then cut it lengthwise into quarters. Then cut the center hard core out. Then you can either cut the skin off and cut the meat into cubes or you can leave the skin on and cut it into cubes.

Actually, if you reverse that, forget the "cubing" and don't cut out the core - that's perfect. The core REALLY isn't all THAT "hard" if you slice the parts THIN (1/4" or less) and the core is where the BULK of BOTH the fiber AND the bromelain reside, BOTH very good for the body! Bromelain is a STRONG anti-inflamatory, plus it is GREAT for pancrease health. the fiber - well, keeps ya "regular" (also some assistance in lowering cholesterol among other things. Basically you end up w/ "pie" (piece) shaped pieces.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:25:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Kacer:
...you end up w/ "pie" (piece) shaped pieces...

uuuuuhuhhuh

she said PIE

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:28:20 PM EDT
HOT DAMN ! this thing is awesome ! it's so sweet and soft ! Wow this is way better that store bought. Even the center is soft. I have like five more growing too.

J
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:42:51 AM EDT
DROOL! How about a swap?

I've got fresh home grown tomatoes stewing - will be in jars by the end of the day...

or, I just learned how to make mozzarella and ricotta cheeses, oh my - warm, fresh mozzarella is sooooooo yummy!

Or, my chickens should be laying any day now, you can either have eggs or a cleaned and dressed bird, your choice.

Or, with the tomatoes, and cheese, I can whip up some lasagne and send it your way...you like yours with italian sausage or without?

Come on, come on, come on! Any of 'em would make a fair trade wouldn't they? Hook a sista' up!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:46:59 AM EDT
Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure:

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:13:11 AM EDT
Its a sugarloaf. It will be the sweetest you've tasted. I was born and raised in hawaii and when my dad and I used to go dirtbike riding we would pick a couple and take it home to mom. They are very good.
Aloha
Top Top